H1b revocation/withdrawal affects I-94? COS from H1b to B2

JuanHuan

Hi,
I got laid off (less than 60 days ago), and obviously employer will soon revoke or withdraw H1b petition (still in US).
H1b recently got approved, new I-94 (that came with H1b approval) valid until 2023.
Can USCIS shorten period of authorized stay of new I-94 issued with H1b approval if petition is revoked?
How does H1b revocation process work, so that I know what to expect?

How long change status to B2 usually take?
If smbd could share change of status from H1b to B2 justification letter - that would be supper helpful for me!
Is it good to indicate that I was laid off?
I've been in US for 9 years USCIS will likely wonder why I need a visitor visa.
Does filing COS to B2 even win you time? (its not obvious from USCIS policy)
No pending petition with USCIS.
Don't have any job offer yet, honestly don't mind taking a break.
Don't have a spouse so h4 not an option.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Did you get laid off before or after the petition was approved?

was laid off about a month BEFORE the petition was approved.
I reported unemployment to school DSO the next day and submitted STEM OPT final report/unemployment asap (verified it in SEVP).
Employer's attorney just received approval notice (I can access attorney's case status online), employer probably doesn't know H1b approved yet, but its just a matter of time I guess. Have electonic access to H1b approval notice.
I know this story doesn't make much sense. I wouldn't even know if not SEVP email that my STEM OPT got terminated.

What if the USCIS withdrew my H-1B after being exempt from the cap? An H-1B revoked, irrespective of whether it is subject to a cap, is revoked H-1B. A cap-exempt employer may nevertheless leave the company or cancel a contract with a beneficiary resulting in visa revocation.

What if the USCIS withdrew my H-1B after being exempt from the cap? An H-1B revoked, irrespective of whether it is subject to a cap, is revoked H-1B.
There's a big difference between being out-of-status and beyond period of authorized stay. I cannot find anywhere what happens to H1b I-94 after revocation.