IR5 entry from India for parents

hello,my parents just got IR5 Visa from india, can they enter in the usa without any issue ? asking because new covid-19 rules by CDC, anyone had enter without an issue at port of entry or flying from home country. booked united , British airways, Emirates they all cancel my parents flight because of ban on IR5 visa,i already lost $3k in flight cancellation ,idk what to do .

Well I found it In other forum
Don’t understand how the airlines would know what status the passenger was to cancel the flights, seeing as there are a number of types of people eligible to enter from banned countries. They ask but you don’t have to enter the APIS info before you actually check in. From other forums with ban issues would suggest not checking in online but taking relevant documentation to airport and get there early to physically check in for flight. That way you can take proof of exemption and also insist they call CBP if airline staff give problems.

PS that poster should pursue the airlines to get airfare back if lost on non refundable fares if they incorrectly denied boarding. Usually if an airline cancels you they are supposed to give you a refund anyway.

Hello, I also got generic reply from the support@traveldocs email so many times. However, I contacted my congressman where I live. They just sent me an approval email to go ahead and schedule for the appointment which I will be using towards communication from consulate for my father.
Please let me know if you have any questions! Thank you!
View attachment 2785
Could you also post the letter that you sent to your Congressman. It will help us to reach out to our congressman. Thank you

Preethi thanks a lot for your updates. We are senior citizens whose immigration visa date of entry got expired in may 2019.
Now following your post we have got our appointment scheduled on 26 of july. we have our latest Medical report and PCC.

my question is is it necessary to get finger prints done again. we are from hyderabad. Any one who have an answer for this pls reply.
thank you
How was your interview?

Interview takes only 2 to 3 minutes . They did not ask many questions. They asked for medical and PCC which we had. For paying the fees we had to wait for say 30 minutes.

Does any body got letter from consulate regarding scheduling IR5 visa appointment?Not for fresh one.but whose visa sticker expired due to COVID-19 travel restrictions.

Does any body got letter from consulate regarding scheduling IR5 visa appointment?Not for fresh one.but whose visa sticker expired due to COVID-19 travel restrictions.
They are not sending any invite. Just go ahead and book the appointment on their website. Select "consulate appointment".

For fresh IR5 - original appointment was March2020. Rescheduled for July2021 - we had received an email from the consulate to reschedule the interview. We did not have to do biometrics again or change our DS260. Previous biometric was done in March2020.
Interview appointment took long due to waiting for an actual interview opportunity. At first window they asked for PCC, Birth and marriage certificate. No documents of the sponsorer. Then waited for almost 2 hours to get to the interview window. Just asked where will you be traveling and said approved. We were told our passports will be delivered within 8days. Also have to pay fees online prior to the travel to the USA.
Please note - we made travel arrangements to go the consulate so that we do not have to carry any keys,mobile,wallet etc., But we saw that there was a way to store those items in a locker, in case we had them with us.

Last edited:
For fresh IR5 - original appointment was March2020. Rescheduled for July2021. Interview appointment took long due to waiting for an actual interview opportunity. At first window they asked for PCC, Birth and marriage certificate. No documents of the sponsorer. Then waited for almost 2 hours to get to the interview window. Just asked where will you be traveling and said approved. We were told our passports will be delivered within 8days. Also had to pay fees online prior to the travel to the USA.
Please note - we made travel arrangements to go the consulate so that we do not have to carry any keys,mobile,wallet etc., But we saw that there was a way to store those items in a locker, in case we had them with us.
Congrats!

For fresh IR5 - original appointment was March2020. Rescheduled for July2021. Interview appointment took long due to waiting for an actual interview opportunity. At first window they asked for PCC, Birth and marriage certificate. No documents of the sponsorer. Then waited for almost 2 hours to get to the interview window. Just asked where will you be traveling and said approved. We were told our passports will be delivered within 8days. Also had to pay fees online prior to the travel to the USA.
Congratulations!!

hello,my parents just got IR5 Visa from india, can they enter in the usa without any issue ? asking because new covid-19 rules by CDC, anyone had enter without an issue at port of entry or flying from home country. booked united , British airways, Emirates they all cancel my parents flight because of ban on IR5 visa,i already lost $3k in flight cancellation ,idk what to do .

Well I found it In other forum

Please share your parent's travel experience, were they able to travel to US? We recently got the IR5 and want to travel soon. Any info is helpful