IR5 entry from India for parents

My mom got her IR5 approved at Mumbai just now.So the DS260 not edited recently was not an issue at all and was not raised at the interview. She was asked for Birth certificate. Then was asked if she plans to work when in US. My mom said just want to spend time with grandkids and am too old to work. The officer said apparently, you're approved. You can spend time with your grandkids. Good luck to you all!
congrats!

Can you please tell us when was the first visa issued and when did it expired so we can get an idea about how they are prioritising applicants
dec4, 2019 issued, expired may 2020.I don;t think the embassy is driving priority...you just schedule when a spot opens up

good luck, My parents was today and it re-issued....thanks God! The officer did ask all the questions( retirement, my address, employer, position, status, etc.) again to make sure nothing in the DS260 changed. It was about 2 yrs old. They had to repay fees at the counter....they spent about 4.5 hrs at the embassy total. For some reason, they also asked to see my parents birth and marriage certificates this time around, they had not asked for it the first time. The officer asked why they did not use the visa the first time around. I had given them letters for covid and ds260 anticipating this, but they were able to verbalize and did not need to use the letters. Actual time spent with consular officer was 5-10 minutes.

Hope this helps!
Congratulations!
Thx for the info.

its one time only for actual printing of GC....they will be showing the receipt at port of entry...if need be, they can pay at port of entry...i doubt they will have to.
also my mum told the officer they already paid and he said ok...if we had to repay he would have told them.

its one time only for actual printing of GC....they will be showing the receipt at port of entry...if need be, they can pay at port of entry...i doubt they will have to.
The fee is associated with an alien number (uscis number) which should be the same on both visas. it will not need to be paid again.
FYI you can only pay online, not at POE.

Do we wait for an email from consulate to schedule an appointment for renewing expired IR5 or should we directly look for appt dates for medical and interview? Thanks!

Do we wait for an email from consulate to schedule an appointment for renewing expired IR5 or should we directly look for appt dates for medical and interview? Thanks!
Did you send an email to mumbai consulate ? Did they send a generic response back ? Which should be enough to schedule an interview OR you could do what I did (Apr'21) in contacting your local Congressman's office and ask them for help in getting information on scheduling for an interview for re-issue. I got generic responses through direct email and through Congressman's office. Both responses indicated that I could schedule for an interview at Mumbai.
You need the interview scheduled for a new Medical. Also, you can initiate PCC application and it takes 2-3 weeks to get that.

Did you send an email to mumbai consulate ? Did they send a generic response back ? Which should be enough to schedule an interview OR you could do what I did (Apr'21) in contacting your local Congressman's office and ask them for help in getting information on scheduling for an interview for re-issue. I got generic responses through direct email and through Congressman's office. Both responses indicated that I could schedule for an interview at Mumbai.
You need the interview scheduled for a new Medical. Also, you can initiate PCC application and it takes 2-3 weeks to get that.
Hello Sriram, I am a little confuse here. In generic email, it says you can go ahead and schedule an appointment for IR5 visa category? Please advise! Thank you!

Hello Sriram, I am a little confuse here. In generic email, it says you can go ahead and schedule an appointment for IR5 visa category? Please advise! Thank you!
No. It's generic. But it has verbiage that says you can schedule an appointment. This was in April and don't know if things have changed. Also like I said above, find your congressional Rep and email them also. They'll get in touch with the embassy on ur behalf.
Will post response I got from them in next post as it truncated it as this post is already long.

We understand that the applicant was unable to use an immigrant visa before the expiry date and wishes to know if the visa validity can be extended. Due to the recission of Presidential Proclamation 10014 we are restarting the processing of all immigrant visa applications, including those in 221g status and those that had their appointments cancelled last spring.

Issued immigrant visas are generally valid for six months or until the medical exam results expire, whichever is shorter. If an applicant does not use an issued immigrant visa within its period of validity and proves to the satisfaction of the consular officer that he/she did not use the visa because of reasons beyond his/her control and for which he/she was not responsible, a replacement visa may be issued on payment of new visa processing fees and submission of updated supporting documents, as required.

Applicants who are applying for re-issuance of their visa will need to log in to http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in and select “Consulate Appointments” to schedule a visa appointment.

For extension of an expired visa, applicants should bring the following:

• Fees of $325, which must be paid by international credit card or in cash. Please carry exact change if paying in cash. As the consular rate of exchange can change, refer to https://ustraveldocs.com/in/step-3.html#visa-fees the day before your interview to obtain the current consular rate of exchange. Consular fees are not refundable.
  • DS-260 confirmation page
  • Two recent photographs (2 x 2 inches)
  • Updated Medical Report (No X-ray films or discs). A list of panel physicians is available at https://in.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/. Medical reports are valid for six months, and in certain cases three months. The visa is only valid for the duration of the medical report’s validity.
  • Obtain an updated Police Clearance Certificate from the Regional Passport Office. Police certificates are valid for one year from the date of issuance.
  • The beneficiary will not need to repeat biometrics

You need the interview scheduled for a new Medical. Also, you can initiate PCC application and it takes 2-3 weeks to get that
It’s just a standard response from support@ustraveldocs. I’ll also try to email my Congressman’s office of my jurisdiction. Thanks!

Another question - how did you schedule the medical appointment without a letter from the consulate?

It’s just a standard response from support@ustraveldocs. I’ll also try to email my Congressman’s office of my jurisdiction. Thanks!

Another question - how did you schedule the medical appointment without a letter from the consulate?
Yes it's generic. They are not going to send each and everyone a customized letter. You don't need a letter for medical. You need to schedule an appointment, use that for the medical appointment. Get medical, get PCC, DS260 confirmation page and show up for the interview. Please post your parents experience leading up and after interview so others can benefit from it. Good luck.

No. It's generic. But it has verbiage that says you can schedule an appointment. This was in April and don't know if things have changed. Also like I said above, find your congressional Rep and email them also. They'll get in touch with the embassy on ur behalf.
Will post response I got from them in next post as it truncated it as this post is already long.
Contacted the congressional person. Let's go from there first then pay for DS260, then Medical and PCC along with the interview date. Thank you for the clarification and proper path. Appreciated.