Travel by plane with receipt of extention

Not sure what you mean. I presume you mean travelling into US?
If your current TN is valid (i-94 not expired), you will be allowed into US by any means on that TN, but if your current TN is expired, you will need to apply for a TN when re-entering US either by land or at airport. That has always been the case, and has not changed due to pandemic.

The company i work for is going to file TN extension for me and for my wife (current TN and TD visas from passport expired on January 2021), can both of us still travel to Mexico after company files extension to USCIS?

The extension only keeps you legal while in US, once you leave, you need to have an approved TN/TD.

Nelsona, do you mean an approved TN extension (the one that you request using premium processing) ? asking since im planning to travel to Mexico under the rules of automatic visa revalidation

Nelsona, do you mean an approved TN extension (the one that you request using premium processing) ? asking since im planning to travel to Mexico under the rules of automatic visa revalidation
If it's approved, i.e. you got an I-797A with a new I-94, yes, you can use Automatic Revalidation to re-enter the US after a trip of less than 30 days to Canada or Mexico.

But if the spouse does not have an approved TD, and her visa is expired, she will need a new Visa before reentry, she would not qualify for AVR with merely a pending TD petition (I-539).