TN-How long can I work from home in Canada with the TN Status?

The future company could allow me to start WFH in anywhere of USA but not in Canada. Basically, I just need to rent a place anywhere south of the board and work from there. Not sure why they wont allow me WFH in Canada.
Thank you for sharing @SKRE .
What did you end up doing?
Was there any immigration (or tax) complications?
Would it be enough to go to the border, get the TN status and if necessary apply for SSN (and possibly stay for a few days or not!), then work remotely from Canada?

As has been repeated here often, you do not NEED a TN to work in Canada. Since it os not required by law, then it becomes a matter of company policy and their comfort level. So you would need to clear this up with your sponsor; nothing we can say here about that.

Twist to the above thread.

I am currently working in the Mid west as a permanent employee for a staffing firm on TN (say present project runs a year - Year 1)

Can I work in Toronto(entire second year with physical office in Toronto) for the same staffing company based in NJ and pay regular taxes in the USA?

Will this impact the TN anyway for year 3? Currently waiting for F4 priority date through consular processing (ineleigible for AOS :)-((. Thanks.

This is a tax issue, but NO, you would have to pay Cdn taxes on the work performed in canada, and would be re-establishing Cdn residence, making world wide income taxable.

ask these types of questions at forums.serbinski.com

Thanks for the reply. But in case I pay all taxes and reestablish Canadian residence is my TN valid in case I get a new project in the USA after the Canadian stint. Thanks.

Depends on how your TN application was written,. If it was client specific, no. If it was written such that your agency would have you work with various clients, yes. And, of course, it must not have expired.

This time when I entered USA (DCB) after my 14 day quarantine period in Canada (which I stated),
CBP asked me if I have a permanent residence in the USA (which I have) and he admitted me. Currently my employer and client located in the USA.

My potential employer will file a TN where he has clients in Ontario & New York and I will not have a permanent residence in the US as my base will be in Canada (70 percent of the time). Does that satisfy TN requirements for running payroll in the USA 100% of the time and will there be any issues entering USA (for the remaining 30% of the time)

if you are living in Canada and do not work as an employee from a US establishment, then you are not a US employee. You are either a CDn employee or a contractor living in canada. forums.serbinski.com answers these finance questions.

You may need a TN to enter US, but that would not in itselkf make you a US employee.

If you live in Canada, and If you are not going to the US office, then you are not a US employee.

I wroked from client office then came back to canada, now almost three months working from Canada. Not sure just saying going to US office for a week will work.

I noticed officer always ask where is primary residence and I always say Canada. Another thing even you have have TN they will give yellow slip for 2nd review on airport.

Just thinking if someone working from Canada and payroll set in USA due to few months he worked from USA on TN.

Now this guy travel to Europe for one week vacation. As my understanding his TN-I94 will become void.
What will happen if this guy come back to Canada and continue working from Canada?
Not sure does he still has TN and not breaking law?
Legal to work and pay taxes in US?

Now this guy travel to Europe for one week and work from there. As my understanding his TN-I94 will become void.
What will happen if this guy come back to Canada and continue working from Canada?
Not sure does he still has TN and not breaking law?
Legal to work and pay taxes in US?

Last edited:
The TN would not become "void". The I-94 associated with the TN would become invalid, but would be easily re-issued the next time that entered the country. This is not the problem.

The real issue is not having the correct Cdn payroll as a person not living or working in US, but in Canada. It's not an immigration issue, it is a payroll tax issue.

Last edited: