I94 issues

wall_y

I went to a land border to request TN status for a second job that was approved. They stamped my passport with the TN status, name of employer, and petition date (3 years out). I paid the TN fee as well as the fee for the new I94 but they did not issue me a new paper I94. The paper I94 that is currently in my passport s indicates the expiration date for my first job. Was I supposed to be issued a new I94 with a new expiration date? They said that my electronic I94 would be updated as well but that has not changed even though my travel history has updated. The date on the electron I94 is from when I crossed the border by air and shows the expiration date for a job I am not longer with.

You need to get this sorted at any local CBP office. You need a second valid I-94. They should be able to use the info that was stamped to issue you an I-94.

I went to a land border to request TN status for a second job that was approved. They stamped my passport with the TN status, name of employer, and petition date (3 years out). I paid the TN fee as well as the fee for the new I94 but they did not issue me a new paper I94. The paper I94 that is currently in my passport s indicates the expiration date for my first job. Was I supposed to be issued a new I94 with a new expiration date? They said that my electronic I94 would be updated as well but that has not changed even though my travel history has updated. The date on the electron I94 is from when I crossed the border by air and shows the expiration date for a job I am not longer with.
For what it’s worth, when I received my last TN they gave me the stamp but didn’t issue me a paper I 94. I asked about it in person and they said they don’t isue those any more. They did write down the I 94 number for me tho right underneath and stamp in my passport. I then went home and checked online and could pull up the info in the electronic system.

@Cdninva This is the normal way now. The issue is not that he wasn;t issued a paper I-94, it is that the online I-94 did not reflect his new entry with new TN. Yours does, as does most everyone's.

Thank you both for the information. I will be contacting a CBP office near me to try to get this corrected.

@nelsona I had another question about the I94 "admit to" date. The electronic I94 record is only able to display one date. If I had two jobs under TN status, which date should be indicated? The one I had first (expiring sooner) or the second one (expiring later).

Each I-94 must have the expiry date that matches your work authorization. you MUST have 2 I-94s. with different numbers and different dates.

One might be only on paper, which is fine, but the TN you just got must have it's own I-94 with correct expiry date.

Each I-94 must have the expiry date that matches your work authorization. you MUST have 2 I-94s. with different numbers and different dates.

One might be only on paper, which is fine, but the TN you just got must have it's own I-94 with correct expiry date.
Hello, Nelsona, hoping you can help me with a similar situation.

I am on TN2 status (valid until 07/10/2022, per my I-797) but my latest visa expired on 05/06/2019 - I have not left the US since my last entry on 12/30/2018).

I would like to travel to Mexico for less than 30 days and come back to the US using Automatic Revalidation. My question is regarding the expiration date of my I-94.

As mentioned before, my TN2 status is good until 07/10/2022 but my most recent electronic I-94 shows an expiration date of 05/06/2019. Which date is correct? the one on the I-797 or the one on my latest electronic I-94? and, will I be allowed back in the US without having to renew my expired visa?

Your help would be greatly appreciated as I was not able to find a clear answer about this on the USCIS website.

The I-797 I-94 takes precedence. The website only lists I-94s issued by CBP (ie. at POE), yours is issued by USCIS. You are fine to use AVR along with the I-797.