Canadian passport renewal with TN (I94 attached)

jack10901090

Registered Users (C)
Is the I94 linked to the passport electronically ? What is the procedure to apply for passport renewal from within the USA with regards to the I94? Thanks

No, it is not. The I-94 can be transferred to your new passport, by unstapling from the old (don;t send it with the passport) and restapling in the new one when you get it.

If you have an I-94 that expires later than your passport, that sounds like an error on the part of the Border Officer.

Every I-94 i've ever received has been limited to the expiry of the passport.

If you look up your I-94 online at the CBP i-94 website, you'll see the serial number on the paper I-94 matches the # shown on the electronic I-94. The electronic version also includes your passport number.

I'd be very curious to see if that same I-94 serial number would automatically associate to a new passport number whenever it's issued. Can you check that out whenever your passport is replaced?

USCIS regularly issues I-94s that expire after passport; that is not a requirement for mail-ins, only border TNs.

Recently (January), we went to border to get TN. For our daughter they issued TD I-94 matching my TN expiration date (Jan/2024) though her passport is going to expire in June (06/21). I told the officer that her passport will expire in the next couple of months, he said, thats fine, once she renews the passport, I can keep the I94 into the renewed one.

That was nice of the officer; probably due to covid and fact that she is the dependent cut her a little slack.