Refugee Travel Document - updates 2019 onwards

DoubleAA

Registered Users (C)
I discovered that the Refugee Travel Document takes more than 6 months plus to process in the COVID-19 era; please share any insights you have

This was before the covid 19 era as well. Since I had to travel internationally for work quite a few times, I used to apply for it 4-5 months in advance. I also preferred reentry permit since it’s valid for 2 years. Once I didn’t get it for around 4 months and I had upcoming travel so I expedited it using company letter. They sent it in a week after receiving the letter. In all I got 4 travel documents between the time from asylum to citizenship - 2 RTDs and 2 RPs.

I have applied for my travel documents three times. I’ve always opted for refugee travel documents. I come from a country that is very difficult to get European visas with my nationality. The paperwork from USCIS is enough; I don’t want to deal with embassies again. The first one I applied for when I did not get my green card, and it took painfully nine months of waiting, I wasn’t able to use it. I applied for the second one used it to go to Mexico. It took about four months to be approved. Then I applied the third one I applied after the last one expired in December 2019. I applied on Aug. 27, 2020, and it was approved by March,15th 2020. After receiving the document, I noticed the document has changed in terms of overt security, forensic, security, and quality features; the photos are much clearer and mordern, including the color schemes. (The USCIS has returned to the original green color it used to offer RTDS in the 90s). A google search hints that new document features went into production on Oct. 24, 2019.

Attachments

• A8D68249-FF3E-4705-935E-0164C2A525CE.jpeg
    A8D68249-FF3E-4705-935E-0164C2A525CE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Hi Guys, do you know if France accepts US Refugee travel documents? I need only to travel by France airline and for connection to my distance, I need to change my flight in Paris. Do I need a visa for only transit? Do you know which Schengen countries accept our travel document as a passport?

I have applied for my travel documents three times. I’ve always opted for refugee travel documents. I come from a country that is very difficult to get European visas with my nationality. The paperwork from USCIS is enough; I don’t want to deal with embassies again. The first one I applied for when I did not get my green card, and it took painfully nine months of waiting, I wasn’t able to use it. I applied for the second one used it to go to Mexico. It took about four months to be approved. Then I applied the third one I applied after the last one expired in December 2019. I applied on Aug. 27, 2020, and it was approved by March,15th 2020. After receiving the document, I noticed the document has changed in terms of overt security, forensic, security, and quality features; the photos are much clearer and mordern, including the color schemes. (The USCIS has returned to the original green color it used to offer RTDS in the 90s). A google search hints that new document features went into production on Oct. 24, 2019.
Wow, I have never seen a green travel document. All of mine were bluish. I think the last one I got was a RP at the end of 2017. It lasted me long enough till I got citizenship in mid 2019.

Politics may have used the last anti-immigrant rhetoric to have travel documents revamped during the previous Trump administration from 2019 to meet Real ID act requirements USCIS used the opaque vague wording ‘ to create a secure document and prevention of Fraud etc...excuse.’ nothing has changed; I think they could have been used the opportunity for an increased the validity from one year to 2 years or five years etc.

Last edited:
When one can apply for RTD? Even after you need RTD? Why?

When one can apply for RTD? Even after you need RTD? Why?
Individuals granted Asylee and refugee status without green cards in hand are advised if they are planning to travel in the future. They must obtain a Refugee Travel Document (RTD) in advance to travel abroad [they are eligible to apply for that document if they are in the U.S. the process can be lengthy]. If you leave, you may lose their status. Some Lawful Permanent Residents must obtain a Refugee Travel Document (RTD) from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to travel abroad, primarily if they cannot obtain a Passports from their former COP. If you are an Asylees and in refugee status without a green card. USCIS policy clearly states that 'these non-citizens cannot use passports from their home country, as doing so could result in a loss of their asylee or refugee status.'' Former Asylees and refugee status holders can obtain either Refugee Travel Document (RTD) valid for a year and a reentry permit booklet that establishes that you did not intend to abandon status. It allows you to apply for admission to the United States after traveling abroad for up to 2 years without obtaining a returning resident visa. Reentry permits are generally valid for two years from the date of issuance. Former Asylees and refugee status holders with green cards liked to obtain Refugee Travel Document (RTD) because of their previous visa-free abilities, especially in Schengen- European Union/ Latin America/Caribean Countries before COVID-19 Pandemic.

Hi guys
I have 2 questions to ask
How long does it take to get travel document?
and I was wondering if I could visit Malaysia for around 2 Weeks with it

Hi guys
I have 2 questions to ask
How long does it take to get travel document?
and I was wondering if I could visit Malaysia for around 2 Weeks with it
Like I had posted at the start of this thread, I discovered that the USCIS takes more than 6 months and more to processes USCIS Form I-571, AKA Refugee Travel Document, in the COVID-19 era. Based on historical Processing Timelines (in Months), you can see below that it takes an averagely of 6 months; plan.

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 8.08.51 PM.png

Like I had posted at the start of this thread, I discovered that the USCIS takes more than 6 months and more to processes USCIS Form I-571, AKA Refugee Travel Document, in the COVID-19 era. Based on historical Processing Timelines (in Months), you can see below that it takes an averagely of 6 months; plan.

View attachment 2639
Thank you for your answer

Hi Guys
Is there any ways to check travel documents status?
Thank you in advance
USCIS stauts online

USCIS stauts online

Thank you
I have this one, but I do no know for travel documents which Receipt Number I need to have

Hello dears,
How long it takes to process first RTD - approved asylum March 2021 and applied for RTD in April 2021, fingerprints applied more than a month ago and no update after that. (Nebraska Service Center)