LPR returning on unexpired reentry permit, what questions could be asked at port of entry?

jefkorn

Registered Users (C)
Quick background: LPR parent received green card close to 2 years ago, travelled from home country to US on immigrant visa for the first time/ Applied for re-entry permit after arriving in US, left US and now returning before the expiry of the re-entry permit. The reason for staying abroad was to take care of the family affairs.

What should such LPR be prepared to answer at the port of entry? Should he/she prepare elaborate reasoning? Carry documents to prove intent to return etc? LPR did file taxes from abroad, didn't work aborad at all because is retired.

Should I have a lawyer on stand by just in case? It's pretty straight forward case so maybe I'm overreacting!!

Would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks!

Definitely think you are overthinking. If the re-entry permit is unexpired it should all be pretty straightforward - that’s the point of having it. The permit itself is evidence of intent to return.

Thank you for your reply! Got it. I have personally never travelled on re-entry permit so wasn't sure what to expect in such a scenario. The only thing that's a little different from LPR's first-ever visit to US on an immigrant visa and this time is the location. For example, first time port of entry was CA but this time it's FL because the LPR will live with his/her adult children who moved from CA to FL.. So I guess simply say if asked that going to live with children and they now are in FL so traveling to FL and plan to live with them.
LPS is planning to apply for a second re-entry permit maybe after 6 months of living here but I'm pretty sure that doesn't need to be mentioned at all on entry?

Thank you for your reply! Got it. I have personally never travelled on re-entry permit so wasn't sure what to expect in such a scenario. The only thing that's a little different from LPR's first-ever visit to US on an immigrant visa and this time is the location. For example, first time port of entry was CA but this time it's FL because the LPR will live with his/her adult children who moved from CA to FL.. So I guess simply say if asked that going to live with children and they now are in FL so traveling to FL and plan to live with them.
LPS is planning to apply for a second re-entry permit maybe after 6 months of living here but I'm pretty sure that doesn't need to be mentioned at all on entry?
As Susieq said , you're over thinking!! Nothing to worry about if permit is still valid , safe travels!!