Pending Interview - Travel to Puerto Rico

Hi Guys, i have been waiting for an interview since 2017... Recently i have the idea of going to Puerto Rico for vacation. Has anyone traveled to Puerto Rico while waiting for an interview? is it possible? Thanks!

While possible it is not recommended. There are very small risks associated with visiting Puerto Rico without status. The west side of the island is often times patrolled by USCIS for illegal entries from Dominican Republic. If your flight has to be rerouted to a different island because of bad weather, a mechanical issue, or any other emergency, you likely will not be able to get back to the US as you don't have any valid documents to re-enter the country. It's the same risks as going to Alaska, Hawaii or the US Virgin Islands. I tried as well when I was waiting for my interview and my attorney recommended against it.

If you DO go, make sure your flight is non-stop to the island, and bring all your documents to prove you have a pending asylum application.

I had been to Puerto Rico when my asylum was pending. As long as you have a TSA approved ID like DL you are fine. It’s same as traveling between any other place within the USA. They cannot “refuse” you entry as you never left the United States.

The extended times that it is taking to navigate through the asylum process, is making it harder for travel. Imagine being stuck in one place for 5+ years without traveling. I did spend my asylum years, 2008-2009 asylum pending, then after approval 2009-2016 without leaving the country. After the GC was approved, that's when I started to travel, using the RTD as my COP passport had expired in 2013.

My advice is that when you have a pending asylum application, always remember that you have NO status. Cancel all your travel plans, keep your nose down (no contact with law enforcement whatsoever), etc. The sacrifices you make now will bear fruit in the end, when you get your citizenship and you can travel the world, if there is no pandemic of course.

I think the issue with Puerto Rico is that you might have to go through CBP on the way back from Puerto Rico to the states. You would need to show something that shows you are staying in the US legally.

I think the issue with Puerto Rico is that you might have to go through CBP on the way back from Puerto Rico to the states. You would need to show something that shows you are staying in the US legally.

I have been to San Juan several times, last trip being in 2019. I never carried anything except drivers license. I can assure you from personal experience that the flights from Alaska Hawaii and Puerto Rico land at domestic terminals. Not sure about Guam or USVI as I haven’t been there but I suspect it’s the same. You never even see CBP.

Last edited: