Question: TN Visa for Canadian with Architecture Degree

I am a Canadian with a bachelor's degree in architecture and a master's degree in finance. I have been offered a position by a US real estate investment company. My role involves both financial analysis for potential new building acquisitions, as well as project management for building renovations.

1. Am I eligible for the TN visa?
2. Will I have difficulty applying for TN status because my role is not exclusively architectural?
3. What's the best job title to apply under? A generic "Project Manager", or something more specific?
4. Should I mention the finance portion of my role at all in my application? If I receive a TN visa under the architecture profession, am I forbidden to take on additional job responsibilities in other areas? How much flexibility do I have in this?

I have no intention of ever getting a US green card and would much prefer to go through the TN category due to speed and convenience. Any pointers would be much appreciated, thanks.

1. As an architect, yes.
2. Will you be doing anything architectural? It doesn;t sound like it.
3. Management consultant might suit you best. There is no TN for "project management".
4. The firm should accurately and truthfully descibe your role(s) in the letter, not you.

In my opinion, you need to find an architectural position.

I am a Canadian with a bachelor's degree in architecture and a master's degree in finance. I have been offered a position by a US real estate investment company. My role involves both financial analysis for potential new building acquisitions, as well as project management for building renovations.

1. Am I eligible for the TN visa?
2. Will I have difficulty applying for TN status because my role is not exclusively architectural?
3. What's the best job title to apply under? A generic "Project Manager", or something more specific?
4. Should I mention the finance portion of my role at all in my application? If I receive a TN visa under the architecture profession, am I forbidden to take on additional job responsibilities in other areas? How much flexibility do I have in this?

I have no intention of ever getting a US green card and would much prefer to go through the TN category due to speed and convenience. Any pointers would be much appreciated, thanks.
Hey Mike, I am in the exact same situation. Bachelor of Arch with Finance and RE masters. Heading towards a job in development. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks,

diego

Mike,

NELSONA is right. You will qualify for TN under Architect Degree but you job description should be what you will be doing
CBP may think that Architect are designing buildings, etc. but they can also do

'As an Architect my duties will be
A) reviewing design and advising any building renovation plans
B) and do project management - design, construction, cost / budget of the assigned renovation projects
C) Submit weekly & monthly project reports -pertaining to cost/budget, scheduling, progress, changes, claims etc.

1. As an architect, yes.
2. Will you be doing anything architectural? It doesn;t sound like it.
3. Management consultant might suit you best. There is no TN for "project management".
4. The firm should accurately and truthfully descibe your role(s) in the letter, not you.

In my opinion, you need to find an architectural position.
Hi Nelsona and Brdprince!

Would you still apply as an "Architect" title, if you don't have you license as an Architect in the state you will be working?

A little context:

I have a bachelor in Interior Design and just finished my Master of Architecture and now am able to register with the Architects Associations. I was offered a role of Intern Architect in NYC. While there, I was be operating under a licensed Architect as i do not have my license yet. This is where my concern lies... Can I use the title "Architect" for TN visa application, if I'm not licensed yet? if i do, would i need to present any further document in regards to licensure? OR would i just use a different title like "Architecture Designer?"

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
You are not expected to be licensed in a state where you do not yet work. CBP knows this and gives leeway, plus you have a hogher degree in Architecture. I don't see a problem.