• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Question for New Zealand DV winners

xander_bruce

Hi, New Zealander OCDV2020 13xx here!

This question is for New Zealanders familar with our education system. Some context about my NZ education: I completed high school all the way to 7th form, I completed NCEA 1 and 2 but did not fully pass level 3. I now have a bachelor of communications.

I am affaid that during my interview I may be rejected because I did not complete 7th form at high school. I’ve read reports stating that I only need to present at least a 6th form certificate. Other forum members have said the consulate officers have been known to just accept a bachelors degree as evidence of education. Other forum posters have been rejected for similar situations in other countries.

What are your experiences, should I be nervous?

I believe you will need level 3 to be eligible to use education for your interview (@Bob22 as a recently approved Kiwi, can you confirm this?) Depending on the CO on the day they may accept your degree, but they also may not.
You may be best to prepare using your work experience, do you have 2 years in an o-net qualified job?

Hi, New Zealander OCDV2020 13xx here!

This question is for New Zealanders familar with our education system. Some context about my NZ education: I completed high school all the way to 7th form, I completed NCEA 1 and 2 but did not fully pass level 3. I now have a bachelor of communications.

I am affaid that during my interview I may be rejected because I did not complete 7th form at high school. I’ve read reports stating that I only need to present at least a 6th form certificate. Other forum members have said the consulate officers have been known to just accept a bachelors degree as evidence of education. Other forum posters have been rejected for similar situations in other countries.

What are your experiences, should I be nervous?

Background: The previous education qualification used to be “ a high school diploma”, and that had led to rejection of people with university degrees but incomplete high school. A year or two back, they changed the requirement to “at least” a high school diploma, which has been interpreted (by us) as it being ok to have incomplete high school if you have a completed course of higher education. As you correctly point out, the education requirement has been inconsistently applied in the past - even at the same consulate.

Your situation: what is NZ equivalent to? In most countries, a 6th form equivalent would be equivalent to US high school - but do you have a diploma stating that 6th for, is complete? (I don’t know the NZ system). In your case I’d personally be inclined to use the bachelors, while acknowledging there is a risk. And as aidyn recommends, if you also qualify on work experience, I would prepare that pack in case it is needed.

We've already spoken over PM, but at least in my time (late 90s) you literally got a certificate stating you have successfully completed high school. That's what the consulate wan't to see. I am not sure about the degree because I just showed them my certificate and left it at that.

Now, here's the interesting thing. On the documentation they sent me prior to the interview, it clearly states you only need to have completed 6th form (year 12). Here is the exact text, copied and pasted. So that perked my interest although I'd finished high school entirely so never followed up. But it does seem 6th form may have been enough. (The NZ system goes to Year 13)

Evidence of required education or work experience: Provide original documentation showing satisfactory completion of at least 12 years schooling, including 4 years high school education. If you do not qualify with at least 4 years High School (N.Z. 6th Form or grade 12), you must present evidence and proof which meets US Labor Department Grade 7 definition on website (i.e. 7>-<8):

I find the Auckland consulate extremely good at replying to emails so have the email address of it should anyone want it (won't post it here because of spam bots, so just PM me)

Just to chip in here, I also completed up to 6th Form (Although I later received my Bachelor's at Massey).

I believe they only want to see the highest level of education received in most cases (I interviewed in Sydney) & from what Bob22 posted, 6th form in NZ is indeed the equivalent of US High School so if you can provide a 6th Form Cert you should be fine.

Just to chip in here, I also completed up to 6th Form (Although I later received my Bachelor's at Massey).

I believe they only want to see the highest level of education received in most cases (I interviewed in Sydney) & from what Bob22 posted, 6th form in NZ is indeed the equivalent of US High School so if you can provide a 6th Form Cert you should be fine.
Hi NZMike (or anyone here),

I've been doing some research into this and am wondering if there is a minimum number of subjects that you have to have studied in sixth form for it to be sufficient? I have 4. I also studied German but that wasn't part of the curriculum and I can't find any documentation to prove that anymore. I also have a master's degree but it's proving difficult to get hold of an original certificate due to Covid lockdowns in NZ

Thanks, would really appreciate some help.

If you received the 6th form certificate that that is all they want to see. If you don't have that then you may want to email them to ask what you can show to them. I've sent you the email address in my PM to you.

As noted, that post was from 2019 so requirements may have changed since then.