TN Status Renew Tomorrow

anithamerugu

Hi All,

I am going to POE on Nov 23,2020. As my TN status expires on Nov 24,2020.
In the past one year I have been doing work from home. What i should do for TN status approval?
What could I say to the Officer. I just came for TN Status renewal and after I go back to Canada and I do work from home until COVID clears and client ask to relocate to the USA?

Please give me advice. I am stressed to get TN renewal. My Payroll is running in the USA.

Hi All,

I am going to POE on Nov 23,2020. As my TN status expires on Nov 24,2020.
In the past one year I have been doing work from home. What i should do for TN status approval?
What could I say to the Officer. I just came for TN Status renewal and after I go back to Canada and I do work from home until COVID clears and client ask to relocate to the USA?

Please give me advice. I am stressed to get TN renewal. My Payroll is running in the USA.

If I am in your situation, I will be honest with the officer and tell him that since your TN is expiring, you came for renewal/extension (at the border, its always a new TN). And also tell him that due to COVID, your employer is allowing you / you are asked to work from home, once the offices are open, you will go back to office location (US) and work there directly. Carry last 6 months pay stubs also which shows you are paid by your organization in US, it will be handy in case the officer asks for it

Many are aware that most of the organizations are allowing/asking the employees to work from home during this pandemic

working from home in Canada should not be an issue.

please post your experience after you obtain your TN renewal

There is no issue her. Technically, you do not need your TN until you return to physically work in US (you are working legally in canada because if your citizenship)., but the officers should have no issue giving it to you now.
The only issue you face is quarantine when returning home.

There is no issue her. Technically, you do not need your TN until you return to physically work in US (you are working legally in canada because if your citizenship)., but the officers should have no issue giving it to you now.
The only issue you face is quarantine when returning home.

I don't quite understand here: 'Technically, you do not need your TN until you return to physically work in US (you are working legally in canada because if your citizenship)'. If I can work in Canada for a US employer who does not have a physical office in Canada, do I need any kinds of work permits?

No. Your Cdn citizenship is enough to work in Canada at any job.
So it will up to the US employer to hire foreigners who can work remotely outside the US? Are US employers allowed to hire foreigners who can work outside the US? Are there any laws/regulations posted on the website?

Of course they are allowed to hire foreign workers living outside US. There are 1000's of Cdns living in canada who work for US companies, and no special permission is required by either the firm or the employee. What "laws" would you think they are breaking?

So, how about we stick to the original poster's issue of you getting their next TN, be it tomorrow, or the next time they actually need it to go to US.

Of course they are allowed to hire foreign workers living outside US. There are 1000's of Cdns living in canada who work for US companies, and no special permission is required by either the firm or the employee. What "laws" would you think they are breaking?
By 'laws', I meant any information posted online that I can provide to my employer to inform them.

You already have a TN don't you? if you have a question about YOUR status, ask it in your own thread,

anithamerugu, if you are living in Canada, and working in Canada, then don't bother applying for a TN.

A TN lets you live & work in the USA. if you don't want to live in or work in the USA, then the TN has no value for you.

If your situation changes, you can apply for a TN at that time.