Social security office lost my naturalization certificate and i need to travel but don't have us passport

knic

I recently obtained my naturalization certificate and due to a recommendation from the uscis agent, I first updated my social security number, I called them and they told me that I should send them the original certificate and I did, ignorantly I did not make a copy of the certificate. , I only took a photo ... and luckily for me this office lost my certificate claiming that they sent it by usps, but the mail indicated that they do not have any shipping record. Finally after 2 months I decided to start the process of replacement of the naturalization certificate (n565), as I saw the waiting times range from 15 to 19 months :( but I need to travel urgently to my country of origin, my husband recently passed away but I still dont have my US passport because I don't have my original certificate and cant request it without it. What do you recommend me to do, I'm desperate, ive lived only with my husband, have no family close, my daughter came to us but her time of stay is soon to expire and then I will be alone .. :(

I don't have an answer to your question. But if it is really urgent for you to go abroad, and you don't need to return to the US soon, and you have multiple nationality (i.e. you previous nationality was not automatically lost when you naturalized in the US), you can travel abroad on your other nationality's passport to take care of the urgent matters for now, and then wait for the N-565 to finish processing while you are abroad (changing the address to abroad if necessary). Your US citizenship, once gained, cannot be lost involuntarily, so it's just a matter of waiting to get the evidence to apply for a US passport.

I don't have an answer to your question. But if it is really urgent for you to go abroad, and you don't need to return to the US soon, and you have multiple nationality (i.e. you previous nationality was not automatically lost when you naturalized in the US), you can travel abroad on your other nationality's passport to take care of the urgent matters for now, and then wait for the N-565 to finish processing while you are abroad (changing the address to abroad if necessary). Your US citizenship, once gained, cannot be lost involuntarily, so it's just a matter of waiting to get the evidence to apply for a US passport.
+1
This is good advice , when in your country of birth . Pay a visit to your local US Embassy and they will be able to assist you further.

Contact your congressperson/senators to help you, too. They might be able to help you get a passport and/or replacement naturalisation certificate. Also, contact USCIS and see if they can give you some proof that you are a citizen.

Hi, I just stumbled across this post and it is shockingly very similar to what happened to my husband. My husband received his naturalization last November and lost it in December. My husband was also advised by the USCIS agent to update his status with SSA and so we contacted SSA and due to the pandemic, they told us to mail them the original document rather than bring it in to the office. We did mail it and like you, ignorantly did not make a copy, and unfortunately for us, SSA claimed they never received the document and that it is lost. We tried to do a lost mail search with USPS but they said there is nothing they can do. We even tried to ask for help from our local congress person but nothing came out of that. We have since applied for a replacement a couple months ago and are now just waiting on the replacement...but we hope to be able to travel next year to see his family.

I'm wondering how your situation is going now?