TN Renewal at the border

fan20fl

I am Canadian, I need renew TN by the end of Jan. 2021. Nothing change for my work status in US in last three years. I just need renew TN so that I can continue working in US for my current employer. after some research, it sound like renew in the US/Canada border is probably better applying by mail using I-129. so I plan to go the border to renew. I have some questions regarding this renewal process. I know I need get a TN Visa Employer Letter. How about job offer? Do I need another job offer? The job offer I got three years ago did not say 3 years, only employer letter mentioned 3 years. Since it is renew, can I still use my 3 years ago job offer, or better get a new job offer for next 3 years?
For employer letter and job offer, it is better to mention I have worked at this job for 3 years, now need renew for another 3 years? or better treat it as a new application and does not mention I have worked at this job for 3 years.
Any help is appreciated.

You are getting a new TN, so you will need the same items you used last time, except that your TH letter must, of course be a new letter,

Thanks nelsona, do you think I need a new job offer? can I use my three years ago job offer which I used last time?

Read what I said: You need a new letter, with a new request for TN.

Your job offer was never the right document, so you don't need it now either..

nelsona, I am surprised to hear job offer is not the right document. I always think you need both job offer which is to me, and TN request letter which address immigration officer. I brought both documents 3 years ago, I remember the officer did take the TN letter. I forgot if he asked my job offer or not. How is your experience? Were you never required to show job offer when apply TN at the border? You probably applied many times at the border.

A job offer letter does not contain any information that would be useful for TN, including 3-year limit, and TN category requested. The only document needed from the sponsor is a properly written TN letter.

Thanks nelsona, noted the properly written TN letter is very important. For this TN letter, should it mention that it is a new TN application or a TN renewal? Does it need to mention I have worked at this job for 3 years already?

Doesn't matter. At the border it is not considered a renewal. It stands alone on its merits, and starts the day you cross.

Create a new letter with help of legal team, new dates, new paper, new everything. Its a new application for new TN for a previous role.
They don't treat it like only renewal.

Thanks Nimc2002 for great comment. One more question, my Canada passport will expire in Nov. 20, 2023, if I apply TN on Jan.6, 2021 and is approved. will I get a new TN with expire date of Jan. 5th 2024 or Nov. 20, 2023?

The TN will be issued for upto three years if your letter asks for that long. HOWEVER, your I-94, which is your legal status and work authorization will only valid only til Nov 20, 2023. When you get a new passport, you could then go to border they will extend the validity until Jan 6, 2024 simply by reviewing your file. Presumably by November 2023 you would have a new TN petition ready, and would take that and new passport to the border, and get a new 3-year I-94.

I am in FL, US now, bought air ticket to fly back Toronto on Dec. 12, then fly back FL on Jan. 10. I need get TN approval within these 4 weeks. Please advise what is best time and way to get TN, my current plan is self quarantine two weeks in Toronto home after Dec. 12, drive to POE at Rainbow bridge around Dec. 28 to apply TN, then go back Toronto home on same day, and fly back FL on Jan. 10. Do you think any risk for this plan? will I be refused to enter POE on Dec. 28 because applying TN is not considered essential? Can I fly back FL on Jan. 10 if less than two weeks after I visit US border for TN on Dec. 28? Thanks for any help

I would not bother going to the border. Simply get your TN on your way back to US at YYZ.
TN is always considered essential.
Quarantining twice would be silly.

Thanks nelsona, I agree TN is essential, I see another recent post that one person was denied entry at POE at Montana because TN was not considered essential, I think it is probably a misunderstand by that official at the border, or maybe the border at Montana are closed for TN application due to pandemic. Border at rainbow or peace bridges shall still handle TN application. I may consider getting my TN on my way back to US at YYZ, my flight back US is 7.30am, I am not sure TN official starting working that early, or if TN process take long then may cause me missing the flight, so to be safe, I may do it first at the border.

No, they were denied because they were not going to a NEW job directly. The non-essential determination was by CBSA, thus requiring quarantine when re-entering canada. You may face the same problem if you go to the border just to get TN, however you are already in TN, so this should not occur.

FYI, even if you are in quarantine, another thread has indicated that you would still be allowed to go directly from home to airport while in quarantine, to leave Canada.

If there was a possibility that you would need to get TN at airport, you would be best to schedule a later departure time.

Yes, I will change my flight schedule back to US if I need get my TN at YYZ airport, good to know i can go directly from home to airport while in quarantine, to leave Canada

I have received draft TN supporting letter from my employer, it asks three years TN status, but does not state my starting date, do you think it is a must to have starting date for this TN supporting document? Also FYI, there is no new offer. Thanks for any advise.

It is best NOT to have a starting date. The letter should be currently dated however.