Name change option when applying for citizenship

josh000

Registered Users (C)
I have already applied for my citizenship, and I opted to change my name.

What I would like to know, is such a name change sealed by default, or is there a way to request it be sealed?

Is it possible to alter an application for citizenship after it has been filed?

Would the certificate of citizenship show the new name or the old name?

Thanks!

What I would like to know, is such a name change sealed by default, or is there a way to request it be sealed?
What do you mean seal ? If you were John Doe then requested to be changed to John Smith there is a record of you, because after all its not like you're reborn that day and never existed before.
FYI in America sealed/expunged are just words that means the average Joe can't see certain things . Records are unsealed and Expunged records are kept in a paper file . So it can be accessed if ever needed by the relevant authorities if granted by a Judge .
Would the certificate of citizenship show the new name or the old name?
Will reflect new Name .

Last edited:
Will probably depend at least partly on your state. In California you have to have a court order if you want a name change sealed, with quite strict conditions to get that:

The court may order that the record be filed under seal if it finds that all of the following factors apply:
(1) There exists an overriding interest that overcomes the right of public access to the record;
(2) The overriding interest supports sealing the record;
(3) A substantial probability exists that the overriding interest will be prejudiced if the record is not sealed;
(4) The proposed order to seal the record is narrowly tailored; and
(5) No less restrictive means exist to achieve the overriding interest.
https://www.courts.ca.gov/cms/rules/index.cfm?title=two&linkid=rule2_577

So I guess if you’re in witness protection or otherwise need protection you’ll get it. If you’re just trying to hide from your ex or something, no go.

What do you mean seal ? If you were John Doe then requested to be changed to John Smith there is a record of you, because after all its not like you're reborn that day and never existed before.

In America, like most commonwealth countries, when someone changes their name it is publicized to some extent (usually in a newpaper), and will be easily searchable as a court record. When a name change is sealed, both of those things are no longer true. There is still a record of you but it's limited to government records and whatever records private organizations have. I'm familiar with this because of the process some states have for sealing the names of transgender people when they change their name.

Will probably depend at least partly on your state.

I thought it might, but thought the name change might be handled at a federal level rather than "passed though" to the state.