• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Old Photo used - interview result?

Ok. So, people that used an old photo in their entry, can you please share your experience? Thank you
do you have any information on how old the pictures of the applicants listed in your first posts were? Did they look different from the pictures or how did the CO notice the pictures were old?

do you have any information on how old the pictures of the applicants listed in your first posts were? Did they look different from the pictures or how did the CO notice the pictures were old?
I have found several different cases. It doesn't necessarily have to do with how different they look, but with the fact that the US has "proof" that the picture is old. In all the cases I know, the pictures were previously used in another visa application (tourist or student visa).

please do no of any stances that the person used same picture for DV not any other visa application and was denied .

please do no of any stances that the person used same picture for DV not any other visa application and was denied .
I'm Sorry, I don't understand. If you are asking if somebody using a photo from a previous dv lottery was denied because of that, we haven't heard of such case, but really want to know. If you know about somebody that used an old photo and went to interview, please let us know

I'm Sorry, I don't understand. If you are asking if somebody using a photo from a previous dv lottery was denied because of that, we haven't heard of such case, but really want to know. If you know about somebody that used an old photo and went to interview, please let us know

I think this is what he’s trying to say:

Please do you know of any instance in which someone (a selectee) used the same picture for DV entry (used from previous years also), said picture never used for any other visa application, and if the person got denied?

can you please explain how exactly do you suggest that they know that this photo is older than 6 months old?
Well, I don't suggest. They have EVIDENCE or proof that the photo is older than 6 months old. How? Let's see: if you used the photo for a tourist visa application 7 months or more before the entry to dv; if the photo it's the same on your passport issued 3 years ago, and so on. If they can PROVE the photo is old, chances are you are going to be denied.

can you please explain how exactly do you suggest that they know that this photo is older than 6 months old?
Well, I don't suggest. They have EVIDENCE or proof that the photo is older than 6 months old. How? Let's see: if you used the photo for a tourist visa application 7 months or more before the entry to dv; if the photo it's the same on your passport issued 3 years ago, and so on. If they can PROVE the photo is old, chances are you are going to be denied.

There is.also metadata on each file that shows created time among other things...

There is.also metadata on each file that shows created time among other things...

are you 100% certain about this?

because i used a NEW picture, and it shows in the metadata in the "date MODIFIED", but due to the date being xxxx up on the DSLR camera .. the "date TAKEN" is wrong and says it's 1.5 years old! (note: on Microsoft Windows, you can
simply change the taken date, but cannot change modification date!)

and now you guys have me worrying over this trivial detail .. OMG i hope they don't really rely on metadata alone cause it could give false info!

Last edited by a moderator:
only from the metadata but that is not reliable. to find the duplicates they simply hash the image and run it against other images (hashes).

are you 100% certain about this?

because i used a NEW picture, and it shows in the metadata in the "date MODIFIED", but due to the date being xxxx up on the DSLR camera .. the "date TAKEN" is wrong and says it's 1.5 years old! (note: on Microsoft Windows, you can
simply change the taken date, but cannot change modification date!)

and now you guys have me worrying over this trivial detail .. OMG i hope they don't really rely on metadata alone cause it could give false info!

Am I 100% certain metadata exists?? Yes of course it does.

Now - are they disqualifying people SOLELY based on that - no - I doubt that is true (and I didn't say anything like that). Experiences will vary greatly and there is only one embassy that seems to be denying a lot of people based on old photos.

Has anyone been rejected in the US (processing Adjustment of Status) because of reusing the previous DV Lottery picture?

Hey,
sorry for being late with my account, but everything has been crazy for the past couple months.
The gist of it is:

Old photo used? yes
How old? a few years
Was it verifiable? used in NIV that's in the current passport and a lottery entry about two years back
Am I sure the CO saw it? absolutely
Did the CO care? not one bit

The full story isn't very exciting, really. After reading so much on this forum I was bracing for a 3-5 hours wait at the embassy and I was about 95% sure I'll get denied. I wanted to see what happens, though so I still went for it.
At the embassy I spent maybe 30 minutes, the whole process was super quick and the CO barely asked me anything.

Also it may be worth mentioning that one of the few questions the CO did ask me was about who's sponsoring my visa, to which I replied "no one, I'm sponsoring myself". I was ready to get my accounts statements, but the CO didn't care and told me to put them back.
And I was done in under half an hour.

Best of luck to everyone here, especially now.

Hey,
sorry for being late with my account, but everything has been crazy for the past couple months.
The gist of it is:

Old photo used? yes
How old? a few years
Was it verifiable? used in NIV that's in the current passport and a lottery entry about two years back
Am I sure the CO saw it? absolutely
Did the CO care? not one bit

The full story isn't very exciting, really. After reading so much on this forum I was bracing for a 3-5 hours wait at the embassy and I was about 95% sure I'll get denied. I wanted to see what happens, though so I still went for it.
At the embassy I spent maybe 30 minutes, the whole process was super quick and the CO barely asked me anything.

Also it may be worth mentioning that one of the few questions the CO did ask me was about who's sponsoring my visa, to which I replied "no one, I'm sponsoring myself". I was ready to get my accounts statements, but the CO didn't care and told me to put them back.
And I was done in under half an hour.

Best of luck to everyone here, especially now.
WOW!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Can you let us know which embassy did you had the interview at? Because we are actually trying to see if this is specific for a few embassies or they are all being picky with the photo.

WOW!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Can you let us know which embassy did you had the interview at? Because we are actually trying to see if this is specific for a few embassies or they are all being picky with the photo.

Working from home in the Land of Corona, so congratulations, I guess? Plus this whole experience brings its own flavor of new frustrations (the US system definitely isn't set up to be immigrant friendly, it's like banging my head on the wall every day).

I'd rather not specify the exact embassy, but it was in the EU.

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience with us. May I ask when your interview took place? I didn’t expect to read any further reports for DV2020 in this thread tbh