• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 Oceania Selectees

Well we have had our interview in Sydney and we are all approved. They asked 3 questions. 1. Why do you want to move to USA? 2. Where do you plan to live? 3. Do you have family or friends there? We had all our paperwork in order and received comments of how organized we were. We had copies and originals of all that was needed and had copies of Education certificates and they also took and needed husbands CV/Resume. So now the busy time starts. We plan on just moving, no activation trip, just move. Date is early May. So I need to sell stuff, cancel accounts, open new accounts over seas, find a place to live, sell and then buy cars. Everything was easy and now the hard part starts. Good luck everyone at your interviews.

Just curious - have you visited there before, or did you narrow down on the Internet?

SusieQQQ I haven't visited Jacksonville before but I have previously lived in New Jersey, and Maryland and have been to Florida before. I have family in New Jersey and Florida (Palm Beach). We did choose Jacksonville from internet research.

Hi friends who have already gone through the process. I read above that a question they asked at the interview was where do you plan on living.
We are moving because my husband is a 3D artist and as it’s such a niche industry all good work is in the US and it’s following his dreams, etc. But we won’t know which state we will be moving to until he applies for and secures a job (probably LA). Will that be a good enough response.
Also we have no family there either. Will we be “marked down” for that?

Gday noob here ;) Do we need to take a CV/resume to the interview?? Also other then the documents KCC requested and what they tell you to take.. what else do we need to show or have copies of?? high school cert, degree, financials any help greatly appreciated and yes I have found simmo’s blog but haven’t read through everything yet! Cheers

Hi friends who have already gone through the process. I read above that a question they asked at the interview was where do you plan on living.
We are moving because my husband is a 3D artist and as it’s such a niche industry all good work is in the US and it’s following his dreams, etc. But we won’t know which state we will be moving to until he applies for and secures a job (probably LA). Will that be a good enough response.
Also we have no family there either. Will we be “marked down” for that?
The only answer you need to give is the honest one - its ok to not know where you are going to settle. Where will you move to when you first go?
In regards to finding a job and moving wherever that may take you - is he planning on applying for jobs from Aus first and only moving when he gets one? That can be problematic as they (US Employers) will oftentimes not bother looking at overseas candidates, this then makes it twice as hard when you do move over because you now have to get yourself off the block list

Gday noob here ;) Do we need to take a CV/resume to the interview?? Also other then the documents KCC requested and what they tell you to take.. what else do we need to show or have copies of?? high school cert, degree, financials any help greatly appreciated and yes I have found simmo’s blog but haven’t read through everything yet! Cheers
If you are using your HSC then no. If you are relying on your employment then yes, take everything you can think of
There are two checklists on the bottom of this page - they list everything you need
https://au.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/diversity-visa/the-interview/

The only answer you need to give is the honest one - its ok to not know where you are going to settle. Where will you move to when you first go?
In regards to finding a job and moving wherever that may take you - is he planning on applying for jobs from Aus first and only moving when he gets one? That can be problematic as they (US Employers) will oftentimes not bother looking at overseas candidates, this then makes it twice as hard when you do move over because you now have to get yourself off the block list

Hi Aidyn,

Thanks for your response as usual!
He was going to apply from Aus. As 3D Artist as a profession isnt that common a lot of companies offer "relocation assistance" which says to me that they're not going to block list over seas candidates. What do you think? Obviously we wont necessarily NEED assistance as we're moving over there anyway but I figured applying for jobs and such prior to wouldn't hurt as securing something first would be good in terms of knowing where to look for rentals.

What would you suggest in this case? Moving into a short term rental in a generic city (probably LA) then looking for jobs from there and then settling down in which ever city we score the position in?

What is the block list and how do you get off it once you're on it?

Hi Aidyn,

He was going to apply from Aus. As 3D Artist as a profession isnt that common a lot of companies offer "relocation assistance" which says to me that they're not going to block list over seas candidates. What do you think? Obviously we wont necessarily NEED assistance as we're moving over there anyway but I figured applying for jobs and such prior to wouldn't hurt as securing something first would be good in terms of knowing where to look for rentals.

What would you suggest in this case? Moving into a short term rental in a generic city (probably LA) then looking for jobs from there and then settling down in which ever city we score the position in?

It's not an actual list that is maintained but a lot of recruitment agencies and organisations will become familiar with your name and won't progress you through their systems to potential employers.

That said, if it is a niche market this may not be an issue, he could tailor his cover letter to have an opening statement about having work authorization for the US. I did this on my resume and it seemed to help, many recruiters opened with questions around that.
Additionally, having a Skype account for them to call you on is better than providing an overseas phone number - even better if you can put a US address on your resume.

I don't really know much about 3D Artist profession but I'd probably look at where the top companies are in this field and have that aid you to narrow down your location search. Sounds like that might be LA, but I'd spend some time looking around. I'd also suggest he pokes around on Linkedin - look for some recruitment agencies that specialize in his field and connect with them, reach out to them and explain your situation. They may not be able to offer anything immediately but it will get him known and could have some solid future leads.

Hi Aidyn,

I would assume relocation assistance, unless specifically noted as international, applies to people relocating from other US locations.

Generally US employers bin resumes from people not actually in the US yet unless it is a job that really battles to find people or you have a network connection, and you may also find that if you don't get the resumes done US style that can be a problem. You obviously can't say you are a green card holder if you're not yet, and US employers are very wary of people who "expect" to be or "soon will be" because they get so many chancers. Not to say you can't get a job from overseas - has been done - but it's definitely easier from within the US; especially if they want in person interviews at short notice.

Personally we thought the rental-> assess job market -> decide where to move permanently was the preferable route.

I would assume relocation assistance, unless specifically noted as international, applies to people relocating from other US locations.

Generally US employers bin resumes from people not actually in the US yet unless it is a job that really battles to find people or you have a network connection, and you may also find that if you don't get the resumes done US style that can be a problem. You obviously can't say you are a green card holder if you're not yet, and US employers are very wary of people who "expect" to be or "soon will be" because they get so many chancers. Not to say you can't get a job from overseas - has been done - but it's definitely easier from within the US; especially if they want in person interviews at short notice.

Personally we thought the rental-> assess job market -> decide where to move permanently was the preferable route.

We definitely wouldnt be applying for any jobs from Aus until after we've come back from our activation holiday assuming the interview goes accordingly.
He has worked remotely for a US art studio before and the interviews have all been done over Skype.
But yeah on Art station they they specify the type of relocation. Not that we will need any assistance as I said before.

It's not an actual list that is maintained but a lot of recruitment agencies and organisations will become familiar with your name and won't progress you through their systems to potential employers.

That said, if it is a niche market this may not be an issue, he could tailor his cover letter to have an opening statement about having work authorization for the US. I did this on my resume and it seemed to help, many recruiters opened with questions around that.
Additionally, having a Skype account for them to call you on is better than providing an overseas phone number - even better if you can put a US address on your resume.

I don't really know much about 3D Artist profession but I'd probably look at where the top companies are in this field and have that aid you to narrow down your location search. Sounds like that might be LA, but I'd spend some time looking around. I'd also suggest he pokes around on Linkedin - look for some recruitment agencies that specialize in his field and connect with them, reach out to them and explain your situation. They may not be able to offer anything immediately but it will get him known and could have some solid future leads.

Yeah definitely a tailored cover letter go to with his portfolio stating the situation! And you're right about all the top companies being in LA. But from the brief browses I've done for 3D artist positions in the US they pop around all over the place. I've seen a bunch in Texas, Seattle and other cities in California. I guess that's all future things to consider and work around post interview..

But as questioned in my first post as long as its ok to explain that all to the consult officer without it being an issue than i'm happy for now :)
Just trying to prepare as much as I can to give ourselves the best chance of satisfying our interviewer. I spend way too much time researching things that are still a year away! (we plan on activating mid year then moving end year)

Thanks for the info on the block out though its defs something to keep in mind as I will be looking to use an agency for ME. But wont be applying for jobs until we move as I have transferable skills that can work anywhere.

We definitely wouldnt be applying for any jobs from Aus until after we've come back from our activation holiday assuming the interview goes accordingly.
He has worked remotely for a US art studio before and the interviews have all been done over Skype.
But yeah on Art station they they specify the type of relocation. Not that we will need any assistance as I said before.

But then he must already have connections in the US industry? Working those to start with will almost certainly be his easiest route into finding good job prospects. Even just one vague connection can make a difference in getting your resume on the right desk.

Yeah definitely a tailored cover letter go to with his portfolio stating the situation! And you're right about all the top companies being in LA. But from the brief browses I've done for 3D artist positions in the US they pop around all over the place. I've seen a bunch in Texas, Seattle and other cities in California. I guess that's all future things to consider and work around post interview..

But as questioned in my first post as long as its ok to explain that all to the consult officer without it being an issue than i'm happy for now :)
Just trying to prepare as much as I can to give ourselves the best chance of satisfying our interviewee. I spend way too much time researching things that are still a year away! (we plan on activating mid year then moving end year)

Thanks for the info on the block out though its defs something to keep in mind as I will be looking to use an agency for ME. But wont be applying for jobs until we move as I have transferable skills that can work anywhere.
And yes, piles of DV applicants go to their interviews without any real idea of where they'll go once they get the visa. As long as it looks like you'll be able to find a decent enough job somewhere to support yourself, you'll be fine.

And yes, piles of DV applicants go to their interviews without any real idea of where they'll go once they get the visa. As long as it looks like you'll be able to find a decent enough job somewhere to support yourself, you'll be fine.

Have a peak at his work! I think he has a good chance of being scooped up by another US company but maybe im just bias :p

https://www.artstation.com/petersandeman

Thanks for your help Susie. I really appreciate all info I can take.

So we had our interview today and we are approved pending receipt of our medical! It was exactly as described by everyone else here, very straightforward. We were asked why we wanted to move to the USA and what we were planning on doing for work when we get there. The CO asked what my highest level of education was and when I said university he asked if I had a copy of my qualification with me (which I did). That was it! Still can't believe we have finally made it after 17 years of entering! Much thanks to everyone on this forum especially BritSimon, SusieQQQ, Sm1smom, Mijoro and Aidyn. I have no doubt that all the information I got from this forum is why everything ran so smoothly today! For those still waiting for their interview - good luck! And relax, it really is as easy as everyone says!