J1 Transfer

KTKK

Hi all,

I am in J1 visa and the current program is till June 2020. But I'm applying for new jobs to be with my family. My current research field is Neuroscience (DS2019) but I might get a new position which is related to my research background but in Department of Bio-engineering. Will I have a problem with the transfer?

Thanks

Since you got J1 forr research in Neuro-Science but you might get a new job position in Bio-Engineering, so you need to think carefully before applying. According to US Govt. Any change of category must be clearly consistent with and closely related to the participant's original exchange objective, and necessary due to unusual or exceptional circumstances. Participants should address all inquiries regarding change of category to the responsible officer of their programs. The responsible officer submits an electronic request with supporting justification for the change to the Department of State on behalf of the participant. A nonrefundable fee of $367 is payable to the U.S. Department of State. If the Department grants the request, the responsible officer issues a new Form DS-2019 that reflects the change. If the request is denied, the participant is expected to return home no later than 30 days from the date of the Department's notice or the program's end date indicated on the Form DS-2019, whichever is later.

Thanks john for the information. I have one more question. My present contract ends by December 31st 2019 but my immigration status will be active till January 30th 2020. If I get a new position should I join new job by January 1st or can there be a gap between my old job contract and new job?

Thanks john for the information. I have one more question. My present contract ends by December 31st 2019 but my immigration status will be active till January 30th 2020. If I get a new position should I join new job by January 1st or can there be a gap between my old job contract and new job?

In my opinion you should your join new job immediately as in future there may be scrutiny of your delay in joining the new job if US Govt. wants to take a look at your application.

Thanks John. I have requested the new job sponsor to have the start date next day after my current employment.