child turned 18 after filing N-400 -family of 4 all have green cards

mattnazir

Hi, as per law should the child be under 18 at the time of filing N-400? / receipt of application at USCIS or at the time of Neutralizatrion that is taking oath or interview?
our son was close to turn 17 at the time we filed the application and now both me and wife have interview dates but no mention of children on any of them
older one is now 18 and 7 months and younger one is 15. Did we miss something?

A child who is a permanent resident automatically becomes a citizen if a parent living with them becomes a US citizen before they turn 18. Since neither you nor your wife became US citizens before your son turned 18, he is not going to automatically become a citizen by that route. He would have to apply for naturalization for himself by filing his own N-400, which he can do at any point after he turns 18, if he otherwise qualifies, i.e. has been a permanent resident for 5 years (which he should already meet if he got his green card at the same time as you guys, and you guys already met the 5-year rule).

Has to be under 18 when you take the oath. If not he has to do it himself.
The children are not mentioned for interview because either they automatically become a citizen when you do (under 18 living with you) or they need to have filled in their own n400 to get one (over 18). Ideally your older child should have filed on his 18th birthday, assuming he met the presence /residence requirements, and wanted to naturalize as soon as possible.

Curious as to your FO, sounds like you waited nearly 2 years??

Last edited:
A child who is a permanent resident automatically becomes a citizen if a parent living with them becomes a US citizen before they turn 18. Since neither you nor your wife became US citizens before your son turned 18, he is not going to automatically become a citizen by that route. He would have to apply for naturalization for himself by filing his own N-400, which he can do at any point after he turns 18, if he otherwise qualifies, i.e. has been a permanent resident for 5 years (which he should already meet if he got his green card at the same time as you guys, and you guys already met the 5-year rule).
thanks

Has to be under 18 when you take the oath. If not he has to do it himself.
The children are not mentioned for interview because either they automatically become a citizen when you do (under 18 living with you) or they need to have filled in their own n400 to get one (over 18). Ideally your older child should have filed on his 18th birthday, assuming he met the presence /residence requirements, and wanted to naturalize as soon as possible.

Curious as to your FO, sounds like you waited nearly 2 years??
Thanks exactly 1year from the date of filing is the interview date. I have seen few more case with one year window so nowadays Its 1 year I believe

Thanks exactly 1year from the date of filing is the interview date. I have seen few more case with one year window so nowadays Its 1 year I believe

You said your son was “close to turning 17” when you filed and that he is 18 years 7 months now. That’s at least 1 year 7 months, depending what you meant by “close”.