Getting married as asylee

Hi, I am a granted asylee, don’t have green card yet. I have a girlfriend from 3rd country. I’m thinking to marry her. If I do, does our marriage affect my status?

No, it won't affect your status, but she won't be able to get derivative asylee status. You will have to wait until you get your green card to petition her as the spouse of a permanent resident.

No, it won't affect your status, but she won't be able to get derivative asylee status. You will have to wait until you get your green card to petition her as the spouse of a permanent resident.
Thank you for the reply, she’s from 3rd country. She doesn’t have any problem in her country. I’m just worried about it, I’m a stateless person now, her status in her country may affect my status in this country? Or we should go to her country to live there?

What country is she from? Word of caution, in some countries, when you get married, the spouse automatically gets citizenship or some form of status, even without you applying. If that's the case, your asylum might be affected. I would wait until you have a green card and then get married after that. Once you have the green card any automatic status you might get from her won't have an effect on your status here.

What country is she from? Word of caution, in some countries, when you get married, the spouse automatically gets citizenship or some form of status, even without you applying. If that's the case, your asylum might be affected. I would wait until you have a green card and then get married after that. Once you have the green card any automatic status you might get from her won't have an effect on your status here.
She is from Azerbaijan.

I can't find anything specific about Azerbaijan. From what little I could gather, it doesn't seem like they have any automatic benefits based on marriage, so marrying before you get your green card shouldn't be a problem. You should still do your own research and maybe consult with an attorney if you find anything else. Otherwise, like I said, if you wait until after you get the green card then there is no risk at all.

I can't find anything specific about Azerbaijan. From what little I could gather, it doesn't seem like they have any automatic benefits based on marriage, so marrying before you get your green card shouldn't be a problem. You should still do your own research and maybe consult with an attorney if you find anything else. Otherwise, like I said, if you wait until after you get the green card then there is no risk at all.
Ok, thank you. BTW, how long it takes for green card approval after application?

I have applied for asylum but they send this letter in the morning. I don’t know why they send me this. Is this some kind of mistake

Attachments

• 253DFBA4-DFA9-4E92-A0FC-C31DB0DE12B2.jpeg
    253DFBA4-DFA9-4E92-A0FC-C31DB0DE12B2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Ok, thank you. BTW, how long it takes for green card approval after application?
Currently the "average" wait time once you apply seems to be 6-10 months. However if you happen to be from a so-called high-risk country, then you could wait one year or more until the security checks clear.