Travel to Virgin Island US on H1B(no stamp)

anupgs

Hi
I am currently on H1b and DONOT have my passport stamped with h1b visa stamp.

I was wondering if I can travel to Virgin Island US withouth a visa stamp?

In fact, do I even need to carry my passport when travelling to Virgin Island US?

Some one told me that I can just fly using my driver licence and upon re-entry into USA, its like a local flight, is that true?

thanks

You definetly need Passport

HI
I live in the Virgin Islands and i had spoken to an immigration officer once (Long time ago, maybe a year or so) and he had mentioned that i need to have a valid I94 for a reentry, but you definetly need a passport for sure because when you are flying from here you need to go through immigration as if you are going back from another country, they usually check your passport and H1Visa. You can call the local immigration office here in St.Thomas and enquire. The immigration office number is 1 340 774 1390 or you can call the immigration dept at the airport which is 1 340 774 4279 ( I would call this number as these are the ones who check your passport).
Hope this helps

Thanks for the prompt replies.

So from what I understand, they just want to ensure that you have valid documents to re-enter mainland USA.

They dont issue a new I-94, right?

Also because I dont have a h1b Visa stamp, I would need to carry my orginal h1B petition, right?

if you came to the usa as a tourist, and then applied for a adjustment to a h1b visa, i would suggest that you don't travel to the virgin islands as this might cause some complications to you.

i've known people who went out with the same situation as what you have who were not able to reenter the usa.

anupgs said:
Thanks for the prompt replies.

So from what I understand, they just want to ensure that you have valid documents to re-enter mainland USA.

They dont issue a new I-94, right?

Also because I dont have a h1b Visa stamp, I would need to carry my orginal h1B petition, right?

It is 2019 and it is still te he same I believe
I just got back from St Thomas and it is considered domestic so you return with no problems
You need the original i797 approval of your visa to show status even if the visa stamp on the passport is expired and your passport
When you go through immigration they ask if you have gone to outside US territory like the British VI which you should not without a visa stamp
GL

Adding another experience to the above question:

- Successfully travelled from mainland US (New York) to USVI and back with an expired H1-B, but proof of visa extension

- Entry to USVI needed only a drivers licence (had a Real ID)

- Exit from USVI was the full immigration experience: a CBP window like you have on arrival into USA from an international flight, except it was in the USVI St Thomas airport

- Officer asked for "proof of eligibility to be in the US"

- Handed her my passport with expired H1-B, along with I-797/I-94 which proved approval for visa extension. This was looked at for a few seconds, after which I was let through

Overall a very smooth process, but key takeaways are:

- Travel from USVI to Mainland US required proof of elibiblity to be in the US

- Proof of eligibility can be a I-797 notice of action for visa renewal, if the H1-B has expired

Hi, this is July 2021.

I recently visited USVI Saint Thomas and Saint John and came back without any problems. My H1B was approved in October 2020 but I don't have H1b stamping on my passport.

On the day of flying back to States, there was customs/immigration line in saint Thomas airport and they checked my passport and I797 approval notice for H1b, asked few questions about where I work and how long I have worked, when did I graduate, etc. No proofs asked for employment. But, I was carrying last 2 payslips, and my offer letter.
The officer wasn't sure so he went to take an opinion from a senior person. Luckily that guy knew that I797 is okay. So, they cleared me.

Was flying in American airlines which landed at domestic terminal at JFK, so no issues there.

But, make sure when you book your return flight that it lands on domestic terminal. Call the airlines and confirm. Else you will have to go through immigration in US as well.

USVI is really beautiful. Have a great trip and don't go to British Virgin islands in any case. Else you will be considered as entering international waters.

Hi, this is July 2021.

I recently visited USVI Saint Thomas and Saint John and came back without any problems. My H1B was approved in October 2020 but I don't have H1b stamping on my passport.

On the day of flying back to States, there was customs/immigration line in saint Thomas airport and they checked my passport and I797 approval notice for H1b, asked few questions about where I work and how long I have worked, when did I graduate, etc. No proofs asked for employment. But, I was carrying last 2 payslips, and my offer letter.
The officer wasn't sure so he went to take an opinion from a senior person. Luckily that guy knew that I797 is okay. So, they cleared me.

Was flying in American airlines which landed at domestic terminal at JFK, so no issues there.

But, make sure when you book your return flight that it lands on domestic terminal. Call the airlines and confirm. Else you will have to go through immigration in US as well.

USVI is really beautiful. Have a great trip and don't go to British Virgin islands in any case. Else you will be considered as entering international waters.
Hi @akshatkapadia

Was your F1 Stamp on the passport expire when you vsiited or was it valid ?