Successful J1 waiver (NOS, Philippines)

Hi!

I wonder what reasons or documents you submitted to CFO, and why they want additional evidence. Thank you!

I cannot disclose that information on this thread because my case is very confidential. Sorry. All I can tell you is that the CFO thinks that there is a reasonable humanitarian basis as to why I am being given a chance to submit additional documents. All the others that have submitted same time as me have already been denied.

I cannot disclose that information on this thread because my case is very confidential. Sorry. All I can tell you is that the CFO thinks that there is a reasonable humanitarian basis as to why I am being given a chance to submit additional documents. All the others that have submitted same time as me have already been denied.
I understand. I am having a baby soon. Do you know someone who got approved for having a us citizen baby? My friend was telling me that she went to CFO this summer and they said it's not a guarantee so Im kinda confused. Thank you.

I wasted no time and went to the Philippine Consulate today. San Francisco is just an hour drive anyway from where I live. I am now waiting for the authenticated form from the Philippine Embassy.

I just learned that you need to make an affidavit that you indeed received the third party barcode with the indicated waiver file number from the US Department of State, then have it notarized, and finally authenticated by the Philippine Consulate.

I am planning to mail it tonight via FedEx.

Hi! I'm just wondering how you did the affidavit? Is there a specific template or just make something on your own. Thank you

I understand. I am having a baby soon. Do you know someone who got approved for having a us citizen baby? My friend was telling me that she went to CFO this summer and they said it's not a guarantee so Im kinda confused. Thank you.
I got approved by the CFO, but I'm not sure if the factor that affects the approval is really the baby(unborn) because my husband is in the military. CFO has their own guidelines.

Hello everyone I really need help or advice, I’m applying for a NOS in the Philippines. They already received my application. However my problem is that my marriage in the Philippines is not annulled. But I have my divorce here in the US. I’m married to a US citizen. My visa will expire in June 2020. Annulment takes time in our country and even if I file my annulment now by the time it gets approved after a year my J1 visa has already expired. I don’t know what to do.

Hello everyone I really need help or advice, I’m applying for a NOS in the Philippines. They already received my application. However my problem is that my marriage in the Philippines is not annulled. But I have my divorce here in the US. I’m married to a US citizen. My visa will expire in June 2020. Annulment takes time in our country and even if I file my annulment now by the time it gets approved after a year my J1 visa has already expired. I don’t know what to do.

Hi@halfsushi! Sure, you can apply at the same time with your partner as long as he will put you as his dependent on the DS-2019 form that he will fill-up.

@LK20 Hello. Thank you for the advice. He did write my name on the DS-2019 form. But, when he received his copy from the sponsor it didn't show anything about his dependent (me). It only shows the name of the agency, the sponsor, contact person and some telephone numbers also the validity of the visa.

What is the next step? Should the request come from him through the visa sponsor? Or should I be the one to apply here?

Thank you.

@LK20 - I also messaged you privately!

Hi there! I saw in the forum that you applied for the Philippine NOS.
I am also on a J-1 visa and I wanted to obtain a NOS in order to waive my 2-year requirement, but like you I am not married to a US citizen, no baby, not a religious worker, or ailing family. I AM also on the skills list.

I am wondering if you could please help and give me some insight on what grounds you used in your application.
I would appreciate all the help you could give me!

You can also connect with me via email if that's better: mariamicagarcia@gmail.com

Hello everyone! I just received an email from the EVP today granting my waiver. I hope everyone else who applied also got theirs granted in this forum. God bless y’all.

Hey there!

I am a Math teacher holding a J1 visa and I just finished the fourth year of the program. My new DS2019 has no stamp saying that I am subject to two-year home residency rule unlike my first DS. I did not go back to the Philippines to renew my visa after consuming three years of the program. Can someone advice me on this one? Also, how can I obtain a NOS if I am not married to US citizen, no baby, etc.? Can an illness be a ground for a NOS?

Thank you!

Hey there!

I am a Math teacher holding a J1 visa and I just finished the fourth year of the program. My new DS2019 has no stamp saying that I am subject to two-year home residency rule unlike my first DS. I did not go back to the Philippines to renew my visa after consuming three years of the program. Can someone advice me on this one? Also, how can I obtain a NOS if I am not married to US citizen, no baby, etc.? Can an illness be a ground for a NOS?

Thank you!

If it is an illness that requires you to receive treatment only available in the US and is life-threatening, then maybe. But do not quote me on that because the decision is solely upto the CFO. Also, regarding your new DS2019, even if the 2-yr home residency is not checked off, all teachers are subject to the 2-yr home residency requirement nonetheless.

Hi everyone! This thread guided me in getting my waiver. I requested NOS from the Philippines since I had a baby here. Here's my timeline
January - I gathered all the documents (It's easier because all we have to do is get the documents apostilled, no need to bring to Phil. Consulate. Also, CFO said not all documents have to be Apostilled)
Documents that need notary and Apostille: Copy of the Third Party Bar Code Page, DS 2019, Certificate of Completion from sponsor, Birth Certificate (in my case). I have all my documents notarized and Apostilled in our state except the Birth certificate because I gave birth in a different state.

Last week of January - sent my packet to State Department

February 24th - Documents submitted to CFO
March 6th - Got an email from CFO that my NOS is approved. The letter actually says February 27, they probably forgot to email me right away.
March 9th - I got all the original documents via mail (fedex)
March 17th - Got an email from Philippine Embassy that my NOS was approved and forwarded to State Department
Waiting game. Everything went well and fast except when the documents were forwarded to State Department. (Maybe because of COVID). This is what my online account shows and it's not updated real time. I noticed they only update every two weeks and on a Friday.
April 1st: Packet was received
May 6th: NOS was received
May 21st: Favorable Recommendation sent to USCIS

Thank you everyone!

Contact an immigration attorney

Has anyone here tried to apply for a NOS who has the same case like me (not married to a US citizen, no child, etc.). If so, can you share what happened? Is it worth it to get a lawyer with that kind of situation?

Thank you!

Has anyone here tried to apply for a NOS who has the same case like me (not married to a US citizen, no child, etc.). If so, can you share what happened? Is it worth it to get a lawyer with that kind of situation?

Thank you!

Yes, that would be me. Not married to a US citizen, no US citizen child. Got the NOS from the CFO on April 25, 2020. Currently, I’m waiting for the official waiver from the USCIS. It’s kinda slow right now due to COVID-19.

Hi everybody, I have read through the thread and did not note if anyone actually gave an example of reason if you're not an "automatic yes". Can someone share if they are successful in the NOS application if you're not married to a US citizen, do not have a US citizen child, not caring for an ailing US citizen, not part of a religious group, etc?

I'm ambivalent to pay the CFO and DOS if I actually don't have any chance of approval. I am in the medical research field, which is in the skills set. The only reason I have is my boss offered me a Research Scientist position, which is a more permanent H1B visa. Thank you!

Hi everybody, I have read through the thread and did not note if anyone actually gave an example of reason if you're not an "automatic yes". Can someone share if they are successful in the NOS application if you're not married to a US citizen, do not have a US citizen child, not caring for an ailing US citizen, not part of a religious group, etc?

I'm ambivalent to pay the CFO and DOS if I actually don't have any chance of approval. I am in the medical research field, which is in the skills set. The only reason I have is my boss offered me a Research Scientist position, which is a more permanent H1B visa. Thank you!

I was not an automatic yes but, I was given the chance to do the “alternative arrangement”. Once I got it done, the CFO submitted the NOS to the Philippine Embassy in DC in May 2020, Embassy then sent their recommendation to US Dept of State on June 2020. This July, we just got a “favorable” recommendation from the US Dept of State and we are just waiting for the USCIS to issue the official waiver.

Thank you Choipogz, I guess I will never know until I send my application. Alternative arrangement is my best bet but another $1500, whoa. Lol. I spent 2 whole days in the office just gathering and preparing document for shipping. Admittedly, writing the recommendation letter for my mentor and statement of reason took the longest time. I'm lucky that we have a notary public here in the department. Fingers crossed and good luck to everybody!!

Thank you Choipogz, I guess I will never know until I send my application. Alternative arrangement is my best bet but another $1500, whoa. Lol. I spent 2 whole days in the office just gathering and preparing document for shipping. Admittedly, writing the recommendation letter for my mentor and statement of reason took the longest time. I'm lucky that we have a notary public here in the department. Fingers crossed and good luck to everybody!!

Just want to ask if you sent your docs to CFO. Last time I saw is that issuance of NOS is suspended from May 2020 until possible for a year due to COVID19. I am planning to submit one once my child is born this October.