TN Visa Renewal- Travel?

cl26

Hi,

I received my TN status 2 years ago (2 years expiration) and has an end date in mid January 2020. I am about to renew it with Form I-129 (Canadian) via mail. My concern is that I will be travelling in Nov for 2.5 weeks (Nov 9-26) to visit family in Asia. Will I have any trouble re-entering US if I mail in my application this week by Oct 25th? Or should I wait until Nov to mail it in? Or should I do the premium processing after my trip? What would be the most efficient way?

I'm just concerned if they process a new TN application while I am on my old status, if that makes sense...

Thank you for all your help!!

The I-129 is not YOUR petition, but your employer's. So, your travel has no impact on its processing. As long as you are coming back before Jan 2020, you are fine. There is no need to premium process TN renewals.

Thanks nelsona!!
One more question: What happens if I mail it in this week but don't receive my renewal by January 2020? What should I do then?

you get 240 days grace period in which your old TN remains valid. If you need to travel, then you apply for a TN at the border as normal.

Thank you nelsona for your responses.

I'm filling out the I-129 form and I'm not sure what the difference between a renewal application vs an extension of stay. Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks!!!

Not sure what your question id with regard to I-129, since "renewal" doesn't appear on I-129. You will be getting an extension with I-129 OR you will be getting a renewal (actually, a new TN) at the border. Renewals at the border take effect that day, with extensions done with I-129, time is added to the end of your current TN.