Working overseas for extended period of time: Implications of re-entry form/ I-131

Willow2019

Hi there,
I am trying to find out the risks of using an I-131/re-entry form to work overseas for about 14 months. I don't have any intention of applying for citizenship in the near future, so not being able to apply for 4 years is not a deterring factor. These are my immediate questions:

1) I plan on returning to the US at least 2-3 times during my work abroad period- how does this effect the re-entry form?

2) I read somewhere that you will be grounded for 3 years after returning- this is only if you are wanting to apply for citizenship correct?

3) All of my immediate family will still be residing in the US as well as most of my belongings including my vehicle and my dog. Is this enough to to prove that I am still maintaining ties to the US?

1. No problem. The form shows your long term plan is to return permanently, brief trips in are fine.
2. You are never "grounded". You are free to leave anytime you want, within the constraints of requirements to keep your green card and appl for naturalization - both of which are choices and entirely up to you.
3. It certainly could be but the I131 is still recommended.

1. No problem. The form shows your long term plan is to return permanently, brief trips in are fine.
2. You are never "grounded". You are free to leave anytime you want, within the constraints of requirements to keep your green card and appl for naturalization - both of which are choices and entirely up to you.
3. It certainly could be but the I131 is still recommended.

Thank you so much for the info SusieQQQ! One more question- will being out of the country for 14 months with the I-131 impact my green card renewal process? My card expires in 2025 so I will definitely be back in the US at the time I start the renewal application.

Hi there,
I am planning on using an I-131/re-entry form to work overseas in Singapore for about 14 months. Do I need an additional visa of any kind to work over there or apply for housing? Or is the I-131 all I need?

@Willow2019,
Your new thread has been merged with the existing one. Don’t create a new thread over an issue you already have an existing thread for.

Hi there,
I am planning on using an I-131/re-entry form to work overseas in Singapore for about 14 months. Do I need an additional visa of any kind to work over there or apply for housing? Or is the I-131 all I need?

An I-131 is a re-entry permit which preserves your GC while you’re outside of the US. The US government cannot issue a document for living or working in another country, that’s an issue you’ll have to deal with directly with the authorities in charge of where it is you’re going.

You need Singapore work authorisation. Assuming you are a citizen of Singapore, that and a re-entry permit are probably all you need.

One of the fields on the I-131 is "Countries planning on visiting"
Because I have no idea where I plan on traveling while I am working abroad, or where meetings will take me, should I list out ALL countries I think are possible? What happens if I don't end up going to one of those countries, or if I go to one not on that list?

I have another question regarding my i-131. My application is currently processing, and I have completed my biometrics and fingerprinting. Am I able to travel to Singapore/elsewhere outside of the US or will that disrupt my application process?

If the trip can wait, suggest that you wait until the re-entry permit is in hand; that is the safest option.

Traveling outside will not disrupt the i-131 processing, unlike during AP processing.

You can freely travel for short trips. If you plan to start work already, just make sure someone checks your post and sends you your permit using the safest method possible, or if you plan on returning to the US soon after starting the job, you can get the permit there. All of this is moot if you asked them to send your permit to the embassy in Singapore, in which case you're good to go.