• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv-winner Health insurance?

I read that in 2019 there will no longer be tax-penalties if you don't keep a qualifying health insurance.
That sounds good, but it's odd: they canceled tax-penalties, but continue to treat health insurance as mandatory. This raises questions:
  1. Even after scrapping tax-penalties, will it nonetheless be considered a crime if you don't keep qualifying health insurance (any repercussion for not staying on the "clear" side of the law)?
  2. Or is it now clear that there's no risk to immigration status by foregoing "qualifying" insurance?
  3. If so, I'd rather continue foreign insurance with US coverage until employer insurance kicks in. Would that be possible without risking any kind of violations?
Does anyone have a clear idea or information about the scenario for 2019 and the implications for not keeping qualifying insurance? Thanks.
Health insurance was never "mandatory" for anyone (immigrant or not). Anyone was always free to choose not have health insurance and pay the additional tax (some call it a penalty) if it applies. That's always been perfectly legal, perfectly legitimate, and has never been looked down upon by the government.

Health insurance was never "mandatory" for anyone (immigrant or not). Anyone was always free to choose not have health insurance and pay the additional tax (some call it a penalty) if it applies. That's always been perfectly legal, perfectly legitimate, and has never been looked down upon by the government.
Thanks, that's good news.

Thanks, that's good news.

Well “good”
Make sure you know what your foreign insurance covers for new immigrants
Many newcomers to the US are shocked at what the bills for something like an accident can end up being, or even for a trip to ER.

Hi, I'm trying to get my head around health insurance. I will be remaining on a permanent basis from my first trip so the visitors coverage plans won't cover me. I don't have a job yet so I absolutely need my own insurance. All the plans I can find for inbound immigrants won't provide coverage for more than 130k which seems very low! Will I be eligible to apply for an Obamacare program from the date I arrive?

Hi, I'm trying to get my head around health insurance. I will be remaining on a permanent basis from my first trip so the visitors coverage plans won't cover me. I don't have a job yet so I absolutely need my own insurance. All the plans I can find for inbound immigrants won't provide coverage for more than 130k which seems very low! Will I be eligible to apply for an Obamacare program from the date I arrive?
Yes, you can buy a health insurance plan from your state's Obamacare marketplace when you arrive.

Is our overseas income prior to moving to the USA taken into account when applying for Obamacare? If so do I put the total earned from January to the month I move in the income section (all earned outside of the USA) it just put zero?

Is our overseas income prior to moving to the USA taken into account when applying for Obamacare? If so do I put the total earned from January to the month I move in the income section (all earned outside of the USA) it just put zero?

Go with zero and look innocent if they ask about the rest of the year.

Go with zero and look innocent if they ask about the rest of the year.
It’s funny zero comes out as more expensive than putting say 30k.

Question are we allowed to use the discount t that aca gives us or does that come under public charge.

Actually I think it is under the new definition of public charge: here’s a list of some of the targeted benefits:
  • some “educational benefits,” including use of Head Start for children
  • Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
  • use of any subsidies, or purchase of subsidized insurance, under the Affordable Care Act
  • food stamps
  • Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) assistance
  • Housing benefits, like Section 8
  • Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Ok so I’m not going crazy so just opt out of it I guess or do Simons Plans until I get work.

Actually I think it is under the new definition of public charge: here’s a list of some of the targeted benefits:
  • some “educational benefits,” including use of Head Start for children
  • Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
  • use of any subsidies, or purchase of subsidized insurance, under the Affordable Care Act
  • food stamps
  • Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) assistance
  • Housing benefits, like Section 8
  • Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Where are you seeing that Mom? The list I refer to has 9 programs (the first 4 were the existing rule, the final 5 are new). That list is:
  • SSI
  • TANF
  • State general relief or general assistance
  • Benefits provided for institutionalization for long-term care
  • Medicaid (except for “emergency Medicaid,” certain disability services related to education, school-based services or benefits to children below the oldest age set for secondary school education; benefits received while under age 21; and pregnancy benefits including 60 days post pregnancy)
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly food stamps)
  • Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program
  • Section 8 Project-Based Rental Assistance, and
  • Public Housing.
But there is a lot of contradictory info out there - so I'm keen to see your source.

ACA subsidies (premium tax credit) or any other tax credits are definitely not considered under the new public charge inadmissibility rule.

Where are you seeing that Mom? The list I refer to has 9 programs (the first 4 were the existing rule, the final 5 are new). That list is:
  • SSI
  • TANF
  • State general relief or general assistance
  • Benefits provided for institutionalization for long-term care
  • Medicaid (except for “emergency Medicaid,” certain disability services related to education, school-based services or benefits to children below the oldest age set for secondary school education; benefits received while under age 21; and pregnancy benefits including 60 days post pregnancy)
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly food stamps)
  • Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program
  • Section 8 Project-Based Rental Assistance, and
  • Public Housing.
But there is a lot of contradictory info out there - so I'm keen to see your source.

You’re right, Simon. ACA subsidy is no longer under under consideration - it is not on the Final Rule which goes into effect on October 15th.

The list I posted is from the 2018 Draft Memo (linked below) which should be disregarded:
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/10188201/DRAFT_NPRM_public_charge.0.pdf

Looks like some movement on health insurance requirements.

The White House
Office of the Press Secretary
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 4, 2019

** PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP IS PROTECTING HEALTHCARE BENEFITS FOR AMERICAN CITIZENS
“To protect benefits for American citizens, immigrants must be financially self-sufficient.” – President Donald J. Trump
------------------------------------------------------------

** ENSURING A STRONG HEALTHCARE SYSTEM: President Donald J. Trump wants to ensure immigrants do not financially burden our healthcare system.
* President Trump is issuing a proclamation to suspend the entry of immigrants who will financially burden the United States healthcare system.
* President Trump is taking this action to ensure we protect the availability of healthcare benefits for American citizens.
* Immigrant visa applicants will have to demonstrate that they will be covered by health insurance within thirty days of entering the country or have the financial resources to pay for medical costs.
+ Applicants will be required to meet these requirements before being issued an immigrant visa.
+ A number of exceptions will be made, such as for children of American citizens.

PROTECTING AMERICAN TAXPAYERS: Admitting large numbers of immigrants who cannot pay for their own healthcare puts a burden on our taxpayers and healthcare system.
* Total uncompensated healthcare costs, or the cost of services that hospitals provide that go unreimbursed, have exceeded $35 billion in each of the last ten years.
* Immigrants admitted into the country are nearly three times more likely to lack health insurance than United States citizens, and contribute to the problem of uncompensated healthcare costs.
* Large numbers of non-citizens have taken advantage of our country’s generous public health programs.
+ Half of all non-citizen headed households include at least one person who receives Medicaid.

PROMOTING SELF-SUFFICIENCY: President Trump is working to promote immigrant self-sufficiency and protect American taxpayers.
* President Trump has taken action to promote immigrant self-sufficiency, which has long been a fundamental aspect of our immigration system.
+ In 1996, President Bill Clinton and Congress enacted bipartisan legislation making clear that aliens should “not depend on public resources to meet their needs.”
* The President has released an immigration plan that would modernize our outdated immigration laws and move to a merit-based system.
* The Trump Administration has worked to ensure aliens who want to enter or remain in the United States are able to support themselves and not rely on public programs.
+ Aliens who receive public benefits above a certain threshold are known as a “public charge,” which has been a ground of inadmissibility for more than 100 years.
* Earlier this year, the President directed his Administration to finally enforce existing rules to recover income-based welfare payments from the sponsors of non-citizens.
* The Department of Housing and Urban Development has proposed a rule that will require verification of immigration status for anyone seeking to access public housing benefits.

Looks like some movement on health insurance requirements.

The White House
Office of the Press Secretary
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 4, 2019

** PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP IS PROTECTING HEALTHCARE BENEFITS FOR AMERICAN CITIZENS
“To protect benefits for American citizens, immigrants must be financially self-sufficient.” – President Donald J. Trump

** ENSURING A STRONG HEALTHCARE SYSTEM: President Donald J. Trump wants to ensure immigrants do not financially burden our healthcare system.
* President Trump is issuing a proclamation to suspend the entry of immigrants who will financially burden the United States healthcare system.
* President Trump is taking this action to ensure we protect the availability of healthcare benefits for American citizens.
* Immigrant visa applicants will have to demonstrate that they will be covered by health insurance within thirty days of entering the country or have the financial resources to pay for medical costs.
+ Applicants will be required to meet these requirements before being issued an immigrant visa.
+ A number of exceptions will be made, such as for children of American citizens.

PROTECTING AMERICAN TAXPAYERS: Admitting large numbers of immigrants who cannot pay for their own healthcare puts a burden on our taxpayers and healthcare system.
* Total uncompensated healthcare costs, or the cost of services that hospitals provide that go unreimbursed, have exceeded $35 billion in each of the last ten years.
* Immigrants admitted into the country are nearly three times more likely to lack health insurance than United States citizens, and contribute to the problem of uncompensated healthcare costs.
* Large numbers of non-citizens have taken advantage of our country’s generous public health programs.
+ Half of all non-citizen headed households include at least one person who receives Medicaid.

PROMOTING SELF-SUFFICIENCY: President Trump is working to promote immigrant self-sufficiency and protect American taxpayers.
* President Trump has taken action to promote immigrant self-sufficiency, which has long been a fundamental aspect of our immigration system.
+ In 1996, President Bill Clinton and Congress enacted bipartisan legislation making clear that aliens should “not depend on public resources to meet their needs.”
* The President has released an immigration plan that would modernize our outdated immigration laws and move to a merit-based system.
* The Trump Administration has worked to ensure aliens who want to enter or remain in the United States are able to support themselves and not rely on public programs.
+ Aliens who receive public benefits above a certain threshold are known as a “public charge,” which has been a ground of inadmissibility for more than 100 years.
* Earlier this year, the President directed his Administration to finally enforce existing rules to recover income-based welfare payments from the sponsors of non-citizens.
* The Department of Housing and Urban Development has proposed a rule that will require verification of immigration status for anyone seeking to access public housing benefits.
So does this mean we have to prove that we would have health insurance during the interview? Or during entry at a PoE?