N400 paper work required

In the end it's a risk that I choose to take if I choose to take.

Question is:

I would send my n400 as normal with all the copies of documents requested as it clearly states in the instructions that copies are ok.

Now in the event I get called in for biometrics and they decide enforce me having the GC and I don't have it, do they offer to reschedule ? If so at that point I would file for a lost GC and go in next time with the receipt proof? Is that even a possible scenario?

Last edited:
Guys no need bash jbuff as he was just trying to be helpful in a very similar or almost identical situation to mine. There are alot things written in "manuals" "instructions" which are almost never followed to a T and you as an individual are the only one screwed out of money/ time etc...It makes no sense for me to pay another $700 or however much it is to replace a GC that is going to be disposed shortly after. It's 2019 your telling me there isn't a better way verify who you are ? It not like I'm lying or doing something incorrect. I am a legal resident for over 30 years in this country and your going to tell me there is no way verify that?.

Time to set the record straight here - none of my posts here on this thread was a “bash” of @Jbuff. My response was a caution at generalizing an unusual experience as the norm. Of course it is left to you (and anyone else who may be in a similar situation) to decide on which opinion to go with.

In the end it's a risk that I choose to take if I choose to take.

Question is:

I would send my n400 as normal with all the copies of documents requested as it clearly states in the instructions that copies are ok.

Now in the event I get called in for biometrics and they decide enforce me having the GC and I don't have it, do they offer to reschedule ? If so at that point I would file for a lost GC and go in next time with the receipt proof? Is that even a possible scenario?
That’s the risk you choose to take, that was my original point. You can only find out what option they will give you (or not give you) after you’ve paid and tried to appear. They won’t “offer” to reschedule, you’d need to ask, and then find out if they will, and if they do so, if just a receipt is good enough or not. At least then you’d probably have the replacement in time for the actual interview, should they allow you to bio that way. Certainly ASC procedures seem to be changing for the stricter in a number of locations (for example many no longer allow walkins), let us know what happens with you so it can be added to the anecdotal database.

Also I’m sorry you perceived it as “bashing”. Yes, I do get annoyed at posters who blithely suggest things like “just bring a driver license” that could result in serious consequences for people who don’t just have $725 to play around with. I will admit jbuff is the expert on how to get through despite doing everything you’re not supposed to.

Last edited:
I am currently in the process of submitting my application for citinzship, I am a green card holder but lost my physical card abroad last time I traveled in 2017. I had to apply for a foil to enter the U.S again which worked out fine however now I want to just apply for citinzship once and for all. My question is: Would a colored copy of my resident card be suffice when submitting my N400 or will I need the physical card?. I was reading the instructions and it's not too clear and as far as i come to understand a copy is ok.

Skipping all the back and forth.. fact is you've been living and presumably working in the US without actual evidence of your legal status. The i551 (green card) rules state that the actual card should be carried in person at all times. And in the current environment, there are numerous news reports of immigrants seemingly facing a higher burden to carry such evidence.

Since you entered the US around 2017, you have been without your card. It was incumbent on you to apply for a replacement card once you were on US soil after entering on the foil.

@SusieQQQ @Sm1smom for the record I never felt bashed. Different points of view that's all!!

Is it normal to take a fingerprint at the day of the n400 interview? I'm asking because Mines was taken, and the only info Ive found so far is about asylum cases fingerprint being taken at the Interview.

Thanks for all the suggestions/ advice all.

Last question ...if i end up getting called for bio and I cant produce my Gc do I get the chance reschedule at that point ? Anyone know?

Your permanent resident status will not expire or be gone by not having green card or if when it expires (green card). Green cards are required to be turn in when you go for citizenship oath.