Change of emploers and vacation

Cdn999

Hello,

I am currently on tn status until September of this year. I work as a nurse with a travel nurse company (do 3 months at various hospitals around the US). My current contract is ending at a hospital may 10 and I am flying out on vacation for approximately 3weeks. I return on June 4. Originally I was planning on taking another contract with my company, but instead I have found employment at a hospital I would like to work at full time. They have offered me a job with a June 17 start date. I have not resigned from my current job. You can take as much unpaid leave as wanted in between contracts. So if I told them I wanted a contract for july they would be fine with that.

I guess my question is when re-entering the US - should I apply for a new tn at that time with the new hospital? It would be at the Jfk airport- so I’m not sure how familiar they would be with that. Also I will be traveling with my us citizen boyfriend (as we will be on vacation together). Not sure if that looks bad. Also the start date would be more than 10 days out - 13 days to be exact.

Otherwise my plan was to fly to canada on june 5/6 and spend a week at home with family and then apply at pearson on my way back in. The only hiccup would be then flying back into the US on june 4th. Even though I still have my tn status- I’m not really going back to work for that company. Would I ask to re-enter as visitor status? I do not want to lie or do anything to jeopardize my next tn application. We made these vacation plans eons ago, so I did not think about changing jobs.

Or does it just make sense to try to change my flight coming back from vacation to an end destination of Canada. Thus avoiding trying to re-enter the US. I’m just mot sure how hefty of a cost that will be.

You need to apply for the new TN any time you enter US after your PAID vacation.

Make sure the border doesn't associate you and your boyfriend's relationship, as that will cause you problems.

Thanks nelsona. I have switched my flight to head back from vacation to canada and will fly to the US/petition for a new tn a week after that ( to be closer to my start date). And it will be nice to visit friends and family for a week.

One other question- when I leave the US on the 16th (after officially leaving my job on the 10th) do I need to say something to the CBP? So they know that I am legally leaving their country? For example I have seen on other posts when leaving it says to hand over your I 94. But I was never given a physical copy. Just a stamp in my passport. Or do I give them my printed out copy from online?

Thanks so much

There is no longer any need to hand back I-94s to the airlines, if you were not issued a paper one. They now provide their computer manifests to DHS which track your departure. However, for your own records you should have a paper copy in your files. Note that if you are not issued a paper one (the border still does), and you cease working, you should surrender this one to the airline agent, or Cdn customs official when leaving US for good.

Sorry, meant to say "if you are not issued a paper one (the border still does), and you cease working, you should surrender this one to the airline agent"