Wife is stuck in Brazil on K1 but does not have physical advance parole document. Help

felixyoung

Can someone please help me answer this question.

My wife who recently received a approval letter for her Advance Parole Document (Reentry card) left to Brazil to see her grandmother. We expected to receive the card via mail late January but for whatever reason the card got lost by USPS. Because she could only use this opportunity to see her grandmother before accepting a full time job she decided to travel to Brazil and I would meet her on the connection flight in Panama give her the card and we would come back to the USA no problem. The problem now is the USPS has sent the card back to USCIS, and it has been 19 days since the last tracking update and the card is still in transit. Which worries me because it might be lost in the mail.

My question is, with her K1 Visa, it only allows 1 entry but the travel card allows multiple entry but she does not have the physical card just the approval letter that states she was approved for the card. Can she renter with just the approval letter and passport. The approval letter comes from the Department of Homeland Security US Citizenship and Immigration Services.

And if she does attempt to come into the country and get denied can this have a negative impact.

She is unlikely to be allowed with the approval letter. She might not be allowed to board her US-bound flight. She could give it a try at the airport.

The alternative is to apply for a travel document with the US embassy. It takes several days/weeks, and costs I think $675 or thereabouts.

This is a classic example of why one should never execute a plan until the actual document is in hand. Same reason visa applicants are told at the end of their interview at the embassy to not make plans to travel, buy tickets, etc even when told they’ve been approved (either verbally or issued with an approval notice) until the passport is received with visa stamp on it. Grave miscalculation!