Residence Since : Error on Permanent Resident Card

JptKhm

Experts, I need an advice:

I and my wife got GC in 2004. As we weren't sure if we wanted to live here forever, didn't apply for US citizenship so far. Now, made the call and in process of applying for US citizenship. On my wife's GC, "Residence Since" shows the wrong date. It shows the year 2001 while she got the GC in 2004. We did a GC renewal in 2014 after 10-year GC expiry and during the application, we brought this to the notice of the officer. He said not to bother.

Now, in the N400 application online, it asks for "Residence Since" date. I wasn't sure if I should be putting the actual date of when she became permanent resident OR the printed date on the GC card. In 2001, she isn't even in the country, she first came to the country in 2003. During GC renewal, as it was in person, we could directly talk to the officer. As it is online now, trying to decide on which way to go. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Put the Correct date.. As in when you. Actually became a resident which is in 2004 seeing that the GC has the incorrect date.

Put the Correct date.. As in when you. Actually became a resident which is in 2004 seeing that the GC has the incorrect date.

Thanks for the reply Jbuff. Looking at the instructions, I see they wanted us to list what is shown on the card. This is tricky. Appreciate other expert opinions as well.
==============
Item Number 9. Date You Became a Lawful Permanent Resident
(if applicable)
Provide the official date when your
permanent residence began as shown on your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as the
Alien Registration Card).
Provide the date in this order: Month, Day, Year. For example, type or print August 9, 1988, as 08/09/1988. USCIS may
reject your application if you are a lawful permanent resident and do not provide the date you became a lawful permanent
resident.
NOTE:
You need both your USCIS A-Number and your permanent resident date to file Form N-400. Where applicable,
if you do not have this information, you should schedule an appointment to obtain this information before you file your
Form N-400.
==============

There is an option to upload other documents near the end of the online process. I’d suggest you fill in the correct date, then upload a letter explaining the error on the card, or alternatively that you file/mail in a paper copy and enclose a similar letter. You can’t enter an incorrect date then sign that everything is truthful.

Incorrect information on GC happens but that doesn't mean you should knowingly enter incorrect information on future applications.
Eg My middle name was spelt wrong on my GC I entered the correct Name on the N400 application and brought it up in the interview with the officer.

There is going to be a record of when your GC was issued even if the wrong date was printed On it, save yourself the headache and just put the Correct date. A simple explanation goes a long way. Just as @SusieQQQ pointed out. You can't knowingly enter incorrect info then sign it as be truthful. I'd do what she suggested.

Perfect. Going to put the actual date and attach a letter. Thank you all for the input, very helpful.