• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

A month before when i speak with the tire 2 officer in USCSI customer service, he told us that my background check was pending.
I have done 2 infopass since our last conversation.
In the 2nd last infopass on (3rd August) the officer on the desk told me that she email about our case to the assigned officer and officer is still reviewing our case.
In the last infopass (17th August) i meet the same officer in outside desk, this time she go inside to meet the officer who is reviewing our case and she told us that they are waiting for one file from one of their agencies which is the same thing what i heard a month before, and manager of that field office has expedited that request. And she said you should have to wait.
I put all my effort to find out either it is the security background check or not. But unfortunately she did not want to answer my question.
During these time, i decided to go through congressmen side and congressmen send the inquiry about our case on August 8th.
But until now i haven't heard anything from congressmen side.
I have read a couple of previous folks experience from the same field office and they have received the positive response after the congressional inquiry, so i decided to go through congressmen instead of ombudsmen.
I have the infopass for the 24th August too.
So, i cannot figure out anything what they are waiting for this long time.
Tomorrow, i am planning to walk out to the asylum office to try once either field office have requested and received our asylum file.
In my upcoming infopass i will try to ask them if it is holding up by background check of mine, then request to take interview of the primary applicant. I don't know it is possible or not.
At this point, i have lose all my hopes and try to make me feel comfortable.

So these are my exact situation right now:

Questions:
1) In your opinion what might be the thing that is holding up our case?
2) Is there anything i can do from my side at this situation?
3) Since we both do not have the social security number: Not having an SSN could delay the security check?

Additionally, i forget to mention you that the officer takes my contact number and pass it to the officer who is handling our case and said me that he will call you when he has that file.

Anyway, thank you for your very honest and unexplainable support and corporation, MOM!

1. I have no way of knowing what is responsible for the delay you’re experiencing. It could be due to pending background check clearance. Could be due to your pending asylum petition - your FO could be waiting for that case file from your asylum office. Could be a combination of both.
2. Nothing else outside of ongoing follow ups like you’re doing. Meanwhile have you compared the timelines of other DV based AOS petitions from your FO to yours?
3. SSN has nothing to do with a pending background check.

I don't get you.
Check with Baltimore Asylum office which day during a week they receive an applicant inquiries, it one day per week.
In Arlington they do on Wednesday.
If you walk there on the wrong day may they wouldn’t able to give you any information.
But trying will not hurt.

Check with Baltimore Asylum office which day during a week they receive an applicant inquiries, it one day per week.
In Arlington they do on Wednesday.
If you walk there on the wrong day may they wouldn’t able to give you any information.
But trying will not hurt.
I thought Maryland asylum office is also the same Arlington office.
Anyway, i will walk in tomorrow. Lets see!

You filed in late June, did bio in July, and as at today you’ve already gone on two INFOPASS appointments and have already have an ombudsman inquiry open. You’ve not even given the process the opportunity to run as it should. I can’t think of anything else you should be doing.
Thanks for your reply. I’m glad I went to the infopass appointments as it’s given us the confirmation of our background checks being completed and that both our case files are now at the NY office. I will exercise patience and hope that we get a notification of an interview soon. Thanks.

Yes MOM,
I am out of timeframe for my Field Office. I have done it a while before. Until now i should have the interview notice.

Are you sure about that? There’s a reported case from your FO on the 2018 Timeline filed in Oct 2017, (CN current in Nov 2017) which only got IL in May 2018. Your case is not out of current processing time for your FO going by that timeline.

Reactions: Wra
Thanks for your reply. I’m glad I went to the infopass appointments as it’s given us the confirmation of our background checks being completed and that both our case files are now at the NY office. I will exercise patience and hope that we get a notification of an interview soon. Thanks.

Going on the two infopass appointments isn’t an issue, that’s precisely what you should be doing at this stage. It’s the ombudsman’s step which you initiated after the first infopass is what is considered jumping the gun. That step is a last resort after all other avenues, including a congressional inquiry have been exhausted.

Going on the two infopass appointments isn’t an issue, that’s precisely what you should be doing at this stage. It’s the ombudsman’s step which you initiated after the first infopass is what is considered jumping the gun. That step is a last resort after all other avenues, including a congressional inquiry have been exhausted.
Does it harm my case that I have initiated it?

Last week I received my 4 biometric letters (1 for me, 1 for my wife and 2 for my kids).
The problem is that for some reason they processed the case of one of my kids with a wrong zip code (they made a typo error in the last digit), so this caused that one of my sons was scheduled for his biometrics in a different field office and in a different date.
I already called to fix this error and they gave me a case number but they said that I should go to the biometrics of my son to the office they scheduled.
How could affect this problem to my whole process, considering that we are in the last minutes of the 2018 process?
My son's case will stay in a different office due to this?
Any suggestion?

Does it harm my case that I have initiated it?

It hopefully wouldn’t cause an additional delay. Your FO is unlikely to honor the request though. This means that resource is no longer available to you if your case eventually gets delayed beyond the normal processing time.

However this is not just about your case. Utilizing such a service when there’s no need to, creates an issue for other petitioners who actually need to use it and could benefit from such. It creates unnecessary work for the ombudsman’s staff, when they could be focusing on other cases. FOs will begin to treat follow up inquiries from the ombudsman’s office as frivolous requests, including cases that have been pending for much longer.

Last week I received my 4 biometric letters (1 for me, 1 for my wife and 2 for my kids).
The problem is that for some reason they processed the case of one of my kids with a wrong zip code (they made a typo error in the last digit), so this caused that one of my sons was scheduled for his biometrics in a different field office and in a different date.
I already called to fix this error and they gave me a case number but they said that I should go to the biometrics of my son to the office they scheduled.
How could affect this problem to my whole process, considering that we are in the last minutes of the 2018 process?
My son's case will stay in a different office due to this?
Any suggestion?

Your son can attend the bio at the same ASC with the rest of the family, that part will not be a problem.

You need to check the I-485 package you sent in to confirm the error wasn’t on the form you submitted for your son, it is very unusual for USCIS to make such an error on their end.

It hopefully wouldn’t cause an additional delay. Your FO is unlikely to honor the request though. This means that resource is no longer available to you if your case eventually gets delayed beyond the normal processing time.

However this is not just about your case. Utilizing such a service when there’s no need to, creates an issue for other petitioners who actually need to use it and could benefit from such. It creates unnecessary work for the ombudsman’s staff, when they could be focusing on other cases. FOs will begin to treat follow up inquiries from the ombudsman’s office as frivolous requests, including cases that have been pending for much longer.
Noted and thank you for informing me. I appreciate your insight and guidance.

I actually just received a response from them. They said:

In response to our inquiry, USCIS confirmed that the applications referenced within your request for case assistance are currently in the process of being scheduled for interviews. USCIS indicated that the interviews will occur mid-September 2018. Within our inquiry, we notified USCIS of that both applications are time sensitive due to the sunset provisions associated with diversity visas.

Because USCIS has confirmed that an interview notice is forthcoming, our office will be closing this matter. If you do not receive an interview notice by September 7, 2018, please notify our office by responding to this email so that we may follow up with USCIS.

That's good news. Hang in there, friend. In the meantime, triple check everything (or more), they will want to approve asap if your document is all clear and completed (that's what i am told). I'm praying for you.

Noted and thank you for informing me. I appreciate your insight and guidance.

I actually just received a response from them. They said:

In response to our inquiry, USCIS confirmed that the applications referenced within your request for case assistance are currently in the process of being scheduled for interviews. USCIS indicated that the interviews will occur mid-September 2018. Within our inquiry, we notified USCIS of that both applications are time sensitive due to the sunset provisions associated with diversity visas.

Because USCIS has confirmed that an interview notice is forthcoming, our office will be closing this matter. If you do not receive an interview notice by September 7, 2018, please notify our office by responding to this email so that we may follow up with USCIS.

Are you sure about that? There’s a reported case from your FO on the 2018 Timeline filed in Oct 2017, (CN current in Nov 2017) which only got IL in May 2018. Your case is not out of current processing time for your FO going by that timeline.
Yes Mom,
That guy interview letter was sent on december but by some reason he missed the letter.
So his case was delayed.
I have studied his case too.

That's good news. Hang in there, friend. In the meantime, triple check everything (or more), they will want to approve asap if your document is all clear and completed (that's what i am told). I'm praying for you.
Thank you so much and for the advice, we will prepare as much as we can. Thank you!

Hi Mom,

My case status was updated to "New card is being produced" on the same day of the interview (08/17). Today, KCC has updated my case on ESC sending me an official interview letter with interview date (Sep 4th) at the consular office in my home country. I am thinking this is for the wife's FTJ process since she had submitted DS260 as well, mentioning she will do CP. (I had indicated USCIS for my AOS interview in my DS260)

My confusion is, As I know KCC does not schedule interview for FTJ. But this is completely opposite. When I contact KCC, they said this is for the FTJ process. But they have no idea about my approval of AOS (a per the person I communicated) . Also DS260 status shows "In transit" . Any thoughts Mom?

2) When KCC schedule an interview, does it indicate that they have allotted a visa number for her ?

3) Shouldn't the KCC be informed about my approval as the primary applicant ?

Thank you in advance !

Hi Mom,

My case status was updated to "New card is being produced" on the same day of the interview (08/17). Today, KCC has updated my case on ESC sending me an official interview letter with interview date (Sep 4th) at the consular office in my home country. I am thinking this is for the wife's FTJ process since she had submitted DS260 as well, mentioning she will do CP. (I had indicated USCIS for my AOS interview in my DS260)

My confusion is, As I know KCC does not schedule interview for FTJ. But this is completely opposite. When I contact KCC, they said this is for the FTJ process. But they have no idea about my approval of AOS (a per the person I communicated) . Also DS260 status shows "In transit" . Any thoughts Mom?

2) When KCC schedule an interview, does it indicate that they have allotted a visa number for her ?

Thank you in advance !
Without knowing technicalities, it’s very late for a normal interview letter for September so this is almost certainly the FTJ slot, as the person said.

Without knowing technicalities, it’s very late for a normal interview letter for September so this is almost certainly the FTJ slot, as the person said.
Thank you Susie. I just had a quick infopass at USCIS and asked about I-824 status. Officer traced for the receipt number and said It has been approved and the notice has been mailed Yesterday .
Seems like my interview officer has expedited it super fast. :)

Hi Mom,

Thank you in advance !

It is for your wife’s FTJ, that’s all that matters at this point