• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Dear @Sm1smom , @Britsimon @Xarthisius and @SusieQQQ

Finally I can give a good news too. Yesterday I received a call from the FO, Louisville, KY that my interview has been scheduled for 28th August. But IO said, he is concerned about my wife's FTJ process, therefore asked me, if I can show up this morning for the interview to get enough time for the FTJ process. I said yes, since I had prepared all my stuff already.

Interview was recorded, he checked whether everything is in good standing. Then finally he said he approves my case and will request my DV1 visa package for me. Again he mentioned that, he will work on my I-824 right away. needless to say, the IO was a good man.

So my case is almost complete and waiting to overcome the FTJ process. But in the meantime. Thank you Mom, Brits, Xarthisius and Susie for your kind support and you guys are helping the community in an amazing way.

So this is the timeline. I will send a spreadsheet request when everything completes.

Chicago lockbox 07/13/18
acceptance notice 07/26/18
Notice of action letters 07/31/18
Bio-metric letter 08/02/18
Bio-metric walk in 08/06/18
Interview invitation-by call 08/16/18
interview-case approved 08/17/18

Finally I can give a good news too. Yesterday I received a call from the FO, Louisville, KY that my interview has been scheduled for 28th August. But IO said, he is concerned about my wife's FTJ process, therefore asked me, if I can show up this morning for the interview to get enough time for the FTJ process. I said yes, since I had prepared all my stuff already.

Interview was recorded, he checked whether everything is in good standing. Then finally he said he approves my case and will request my DV1 visa package for me. Again he mentioned that, he will work on my I-824 right away. needless to say, the IO was a good man.

So my case is almost complete and waiting to overcome the FTJ process. But in the meantime. Thank you Mom, Brits, Xarthisius and Susie for your kind support and you guys are helping the community in an amazing way.

So this is the timeline. I will send a spreadsheet request when everything completes.

Chicago lockbox 07/13/18

That’s great news. Congratulations! You’re very fortunate with the IO assigned to your petition, he sounds highly knowledgeable and aware of the entire process. Best of luck with your wife’s FTJ.

Chicago lockbox 07/13/18

How wonderful that they are trying all they can to help make this a successful case for your wife too - best of luck on getting the process completed for both of you.

Hi Mom,
I did my first infopass today hour ago, I started by the reason why I am here explaining to the lady the time sensitivity for my case.
She informed me my case is still under review and the officer did't make the decision yet, I asked if there's any reason prevent him for issuing the final decision that I might know, she said no.
She checked her computer and asked me to give her my ID, receipt and took them to the inner office.
When she came back she said, the officer who is handling my case is not here till next Monday and he is the only guy who can gives further information about my case because no body else is processing AOS based on DV except him.
Then I asked about my background check if has done yet or not but she said she can't have this kind of information!
At the end she gave me an inquiry paper and asked me to fill it and she will make sure to submit this inquiry to the officer when he come back next Monday.

We've just been for our second infopass. We were told that my husband's background check has now been completed (on 8/7) and that his case file is also now at the New York Field Office. My background check was completed on 7/10.
We filled out a customer enquiry form, that the officer said he would give to his supervisor today.
We submitted an Ombudsman's request last week too and on Tuesday 8/14 they accepted our request to try to get this expedited and contacted USCIS. Today I followed up with the Ombudsman's office and a request was sent to the analyst dealing with our case to follow up.
Calling USCIS seems to not help as both the 1st tier and 2nd tier representatives simply give me what's written on our accounts which is that my fingerprint fee has been received and my husband's fingerprint review has been completed.
Mom, is there anything else I can do to help the process?
Thanks.

We've just been for our second infopass. We were told that my husband's background check has now been completed (on 8/7) and that his case file is also now at the New York Field Office. My background check was completed on 7/10.
We filled out a customer enquiry form, that the officer said he would give to his supervisor today.
We submitted an Ombudsman's request last week too and on Tuesday 8/14 they accepted our request to try to get this expedited and contacted USCIS. Today I followed up with the Ombudsman's office and a request was sent to the analyst dealing with our case to follow up.
Calling USCIS seems to not help as both the 1st tier and 2nd tier representatives simply give me what's written on our accounts which is that my fingerprint fee has been received and my husband's fingerprint review has been completed.
Thanks.

You filed in late June, did bio in July, and as at today you’ve already gone on two INFOPASS appointments and have already have an ombudsman inquiry open. You’ve not even given the process the opportunity to run as it should. I can’t think of anything else you should be doing.

Thanks.

One thing you can do. Relax. Be patient.

Hi Mom,
I did my first infopass today hour ago, I started by the reason why I am here explaining to the lady the time sensitivity for my case.
She informed me my case is still under review and the officer did't make the decision yet, I asked if there's any reason prevent him for issuing the final decision that I might know, she said no.
She checked her computer and asked me to give her my ID, receipt and took them to the inner office.
When she came back she said, the officer who is handling my case is not here till next Monday and he is the only guy who can gives further information about my case because no body else is processing AOS based on DV except him.
Then I asked about my background check if has done yet or not but she said she can't have this kind of information!
At the end she gave me an inquiry paper and asked me to fill it and she will make sure to submit this inquiry to the officer when he come back next Monday.
I have similar question mom can explain the answer for his inquiry

What similar question? @W.M hasn’t asked specific question in their post. So I don’t know what it is you’re expecting to explain.
Oh yea,
Actually I suppose to ask,
1-what I have to do in this situation knowning that I did my interview 3 weeks a go?
2-she said she have no any access for background check, is this possible?
3- do you think to contact my congressman since there’s only 6 weeks left for the FY.
Thanks

Oh yea,
Actually I suppose to ask,
1-what I have to do in this situation knowning that I did my interview 3 weeks a go?
2-she said she have no any access for background check, is this possible?
3- do you think to contact my congressman since there’s only 6 weeks left for the FY.
Thanks

1. You can go on another INFOPASS appointment in about 2 weeks.
2. It’s possible.
3. You can do that.

Dear Mom and Brit,

My husband and I had our interviews on two separate days this week. As of yesterday noon, my husband's status has been changed to "new card is produced". No status change on my account and it still shows "fingerprint fee was received". I have two questions:

1. Since I am the PA, is it normal to not to have any status update on my USCIS account?
2. I am currently holding H4 visa. If my husband receives his GC before than me, will I be out of status?

Thanks

Dear Mom and Brit,

My husband and I had our interviews on two separate days this week. As of yesterday noon, my husband's status has been changed to "new card is produced". No status change on my account and it still shows "fingerprint fee was received". I have two questions:

1. Since I am the PA, is it normal to not to have any status update on my USCIS account?
2. I am currently holding H4 visa. If my husband receives his GC before than me, will I be out of status?

Thanks

1. No, it’s not normal.
2. Your status becomes adjustment pending (which is a valid status) until you’re approved. You only fall out of status if your petition is denied.

By the way, did you attempt to attend the interview with your husband? You never gave an update on that.

1. No, it’s not normal.
2. Your status becomes adjustment pending (which is a valid status) until you’re approved. You only fall out of status if your petition is denied.

By the way, did you attempt to attend the interview with your husband? You never gave an update on that.

Thank you for your reply! We both went to the FO on my husband's interview date that was one day before my interview date. When the officer called my husband we asked him whether can we got our interviews both today as I am the PA and he agreed to see us on the same day but separately. My husband's interview lasted around 15 min and then he went out and I entered the interview room. I was asked questions about our marriage and my husband's job (actually we are not newly married and been married for 4 years and have a child. I presented our childbirth certificate etc). The officer did not go over any of the questions on my i-485 during the interview. At the end, he turned me a paper on which stating that my husband's case was approved. I was told that the case would have been approved that day if everything looked good. However, there were not any status updates on that day on both of our USCIS accounts. Also, since we were interviewed separately I thought my husband already showed his employer letter, pay-stub, and the new visa (H-1) that was approved a couple of weeks ago and turned a copy of it. However, at home, he told me that he did not turn in anything.

Since there was no update and our documents were not turned in, I wanted to attend the interview scheduled for my case the next day. The officer called my name was not the same person. Meanwhile, I saw the officer who interviewed my husband and I, one day earlier while walking through the interview room and he told me that he did not approve my husband's case as I had not had my interview. I was surprised as I actually was not planning to attend the interview scheduled for my case given the fact that I attended my husband's interview. I was totally confused.

The officer who conducted my interview told me he is glad that I am here today otherwise there would be a penalty. He went through the questions on the I-485 form and told me that he would work on the case and approve if everything looks good today. At the end of the interview, he gave me a letter stating that my case is not approved at the moment and needs to be reviewed. Around 2 pm same day, my husband received text and email notices and when he checked his status it was CPO but no status change on my account. I am very glad that I attended the interview scheduled for my case because it seems there was a big misunderstanding.

I am so happy for everyone. I was ready to send all documents and then Mom notified me that if "you had any arrests or courts regarding tickets, its better to get those original reports, so it will be way easier later" So, I listened to that advice and got all needed papers even though everything was dismissed. I sent my package. My AOS package was delivered on the 16th of August. I do see some timelines showing that people had everything done including interview within a month and I hope I will get everything done by Sep 30th.

1. Anyways, I also sent form G-1145 I believe (the one that asked for my cell phone and email), So should I just wait until they text me or call me with an interview or Biometrics, or will I receive Mail for that?

2. I could not find that post, but I remember someone earlier said that I can track my process through some website or something like that? Please let me know if anyone knows.

Our green cards arrived in the mail today & they are so beautiful and worth the wait!! I feel so lucky, grateful & thankful! Once again, thank you so much for all the support provided by @Sm1smom, @Britsimon, @SusieQQQ & @Xarthisius. This forum has been so helpful through our DV AOS & I dont know what I would have done without you all. Its going to be a little weird not checking the forum and spreadsheet religiously as i'v been doing for the past year! As for those who are still are processing there AOS, I wish you and your familys all the best of luck! Im crossing my fingers for you all! :D

Dear Mom and Simon,

It's been a long and interesting journey. Thank you so much for all your help and support along the way, I cannot say thank you enough to both of you and I promise I will pay it forward. Here is my complete experience:

AS12xxx went current in August
FO : Queens field office, NY (Now located in the same building as NYC office in Manhattan - my IO said I am supposed to be assigned to NYC office according to my physical address, not my mailing address, he seemed a little frustrated with the person who assigned my case to him cause they didn't know what they were doing lol but he continued to interview me anyway)

5/ 6/17 ........Submitted DS-260
6/10/17 .......2nd NL from KCC
6/ 1/18 .......Sent $330
6/12/18 .......Got back payment confirmation through e-mail, never received the physical one
6/19/18 .......Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox
6/20/18 .......Status : Package delivered by USPS (express)
6/28/18 .......Acceptance text/ e-mail
7/ 3/18 ........Recieved NOA for AOS
7/ 6/18 .........Biometrics Letter received, scheduled for 7/17/18
7/ 9/18 .........Did Biometrics walk-in, at ASC in Long island, the officer was pissed that I went earlier than my scheduled date (even if the place was completely empty, I figured she just felt the need to scold somebody on her bad day, so I let her)
7/31/18 .........Did INFOPASS I was told that my case had just been received on 7/30/18 in Queens field office and as soon as they finished reviewing them, they would schedule an interview. When I asked about the approximate time, the officer couldn't give me an answer but saying it would be scheduled automatically (which is not true)

8/7/18 Interview Letter received
8/13/18 Attended the interview.
First started off with scanning my fingers and taking an oath to tell the truth. As he ran through my file, he asked me to show original documents of birth certificate (I gave him along with the translation which he took time to go through), university diploma and transcript, all my i-20s and all passports.
He scanned some of my i-20s, took a copy of my university transcript and said this was the only proof he needed for education (I first submitted high school transcript, a copy of university diploma and the translation with the package-- luckily I brought the university transcript that day)

Things seemed to go smoothly until he asked for proof of financial and I handed him I134- Affidavit of Support, where the sponsor was my father-- who is a non-US citizen. He said it was supposed to be from a US citizen or a permanent resident, he'd never seen a DV AOSer that submitted this before and he would discuss it with his supervisor. He also asked if I had already worked as a _(medical profession)__ in my country before and I said yes (In i485 showed the details of my profession, the past work and the details of being a member of organization of that medical profession in my country). He later asked me a few yes/no questions in i485 then wrote in my passport 'i485 pending' and said if they didn't need anymore proof they would issue me the visa right away.

He stated that all the proof was cleared and my education was obviously cleared, but he needed to discuss my i134 with his supervisor to make sure I wouldn't become a public charge and he would get back to me asap by phone if he needed anymore proof as he was very well aware that DV cases were time-sentitive.

8/14/18 The after shock : I realized even though I thought I had all the information and prepared everything right, there was still a big mistake that should have never occurred, and there was really nothing that I could do but to wait...and pray. I tried to get myself together and think of a back-up plan, I asked one of my good friends if they could sponsor if anything went wrong, and lucky me, they said yes.

8/17/18 Got multiple text messages at once in the late afternoon from USCIS to check case status and found out New Card is Being Produced!

A lesson is learned, if you are a non-native English speaker like me (and even if you are), please do more than multiple check of everything you think you understand.
I spent a lot of time trying to understand the spreadsheet, these very useful DV threads, but still I missed the most important information. I hope my experience is useful for whomever that might stumble on my post and help them with their process in the future.

Thanks again Mom and Simon, I am forever grateful.

Last edited: