• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2018 AP

caidv2018

i had interview on Aug6, but they needed proof of past divorce (my hus got divorce 20 years ago , had a kid. but he is over 21, won't be applying for gc.

so i am primary applicant but hus had missing paperwork
i send them next day but not issued yet.
now we all on AP
My daughter should be starting college in USA from end of this month, but we are stuck in Japan
what can i do? just wait?

i had interview on Aug6, but they needed proof of past divorce (my hus got divorce 20 years ago , had a kid. but he is over 21, won't be applying for gc.

now we all on AP
My daughter should be starting college in USA from end of this month, but we are stuck in Japan

Yes - just wait.

now we all on AP

Unfortunately that’s all you can do - pity you didn’t read the instructions fully as they are clear that termination documents from all prior marriages need to be provided - hopefully the AP will be over by month end. It does sometimes take a while for the added paperwork to be processed at the embassy.

Unfortunately that’s all you can do - pity you didn’t read the instructions fully as they are clear that termination documents from all prior marriages need to be provided - hopefully the AP will be over by month end. It does sometimes take a while for the added paperwork to be processed at the embassy.

Thank you
Yes it is kinda my fault but I hope my lawyer could told me
Japanese birth certificate doesn't show all divorce if you move permanent address.

Usually Japanese birth certificate records all marrige /divorce /kids listed in one certificate.

Embassy is updating 3times this week but no status change.
How they can take so long to check additional proof. Japanese selectee is only 200 in total this dv2018...
I am just scared what they have more issue.....

Last edited:
Thank you
Yes it is kinda my fault but I hope my lawyer could told me
Japanese birth certificate doesn't show all divorce if you move permanent address.

Usually Japanese birth certificate records all marrige /divorce /kids listed in one certificate.

Embassy is updating 3times this week but no status change.
How they can take so long to check additional proof. Japanese selectee is only 200 in total this dv2018...
I am just scared what they have more issue.....

Doesn’t matter what the Japanese birth certificate says, the instructions for selectees are very clear about what is required - whether your lawyer should have picked it up or whether you should have read it is another matter - it is in the pages linked from your selection letter, which state:

Applicants who have been previously married must obtain evidence of the termination of EACH prior marriage. Evidence submitted to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate must be in the form of original documents issued by a competent authority, or certified copies bearing the appropriate seal or stamp of the issuing authority, such as:
  • Final divorce decree
  • Death certificate
  • Annulment papers
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...ersity-visa-prepare-supporting-documents.html

As to how they can take so long... There is not an officer whose only job it is to look at Japanese DV applicants! Consular officers look at all visa applicants. They may have different appointment times for immigrant visas and non-immigrant visas, but they still look at all of them. So when you don’t bring something that is required for an interview, and send it later, they get to it when they get to it. If your document arrives at 9am but their day is full with appointments and stuff related to those - they’ll do those first, and your document will wait till when they have time to get to it. (I also had to send in a document after my interview, different consulate of course, it took over a week from when it was signed for at the consulate to when my visa was issued. I don’t know how normal it is but obviously they don’t just drop everything else because your document has arrived!) the fact that they’ve been updating is a good sign as it means someone is doing something, even if it’s just moving your document into your file and onto a pile for someone to look at. Hopefully it will be done soon, your timing was exceptionally tight anyway to have college starting so soon, but if you submitted the correct document it should hopefully not take much longer. Alternatively as you are primary applicant you can ask them to issue you and your daughter’s visas now and your husband’s later when they have checked his documents.

Thank you for reply
Can you even ask for separate issues for this program? I would even happy to leave him if I can get me and daughter

Um, I hope I misunderstood the precise meaning of the last part of that, but as long as the principal is approved then principal and other approved derivatives should be able to get their visas while another derivative remains on AP. Many embassies automatically put the entire family on AP because they assume logically that families tend to want to travel together, but some embassies offer to split the issuance. There’s no harm asking,the worst that can happen is they say no you need to wait - which is the position you’re currently in anyway.

My lawyer thinks embassy won't take any requests. And asking this may cause even more delay.... don't know what to do

My lawyer thinks embassy won't take any requests. And asking this may cause even more delay.... don't know what to do
Your same lawyer who didn’t read the instructions about what documents to bring? (Why are you even using a lawyer anyway?) Ok, well, your case, your choice.

True
I will wait end of today, since this is 5 the bussiness day
And if there are no change or no response for last customer service, I will send email to ask possibility to process separately

I used this lawyer just by web site and Japanese lawyer. I thought they may know better about Japanese application peocess....they might know ....but they didn't explain me enough or check our paperwork, that is why this happened

Thank you for support.

I just got issued Green card
Embassy respinded for my contact in customer support, says please to notify we issued Green card today

Thank you
God bless you all

Congratulations (though it should be pointed out that you got issued an immigrant visa, not a green card - you only get the green card once you have entered using an immigrant visa).