• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

By email as far as I know. Why your background check takes so long ?
Who knows ;)
There are many opinions about that. I am from 6 banned countries but the funny thing is my friends from my country got their GC in the same process, in a couple of months, so being from those countries can not be an enough reason. Also all of us (my friends and myself) are females, then military reason is out too. The only good reason might be my major which is in the list of sensitive subjects. However, nobody knows what can make a delay on background check.

Hi Mom,

I went to the interview yesterday.

I'm on F1 status and I brought evidence of financial support with me ( I brought I134 since it fits my case the most from what I read through this website) as requested in the interview letter and had my father (a non- U.S. citizen) as a sponsor.
The officer told me this is the first time he ever encountered a DV case that submitted I-134 whose sponsor is not a U.S. citizen.

However, he completely understood that i'm a student and did not know anybody who is a citizen, and can sponsor.
Later on, he asked for financial proof so I gave him my father's bank guarantee, bank statement, and proof of employment. He did the calculation and said he was not sure if the figures would meet the requirement and that he had to speak with the supervisor.

In I134, also included the details of the real estates my father owns so he was mentioning if I had brought any proof of property, I said I did not. (Did not think I had to because I looked through the info in here and I found one of your threads saying that the sponsor may or may not choose to provide proof of financial, bond, etc and there was no problem so far for DV cases)

At the end of the interview he said I am cleared for my birth certificate, my status check and my education is obviously cleared. He will discuss the I134 with his supervisor and will call me if he needs anymore proof, if not, he will issue me the visa.

Question :
1. Do you have any thoughts on this? or Have you ever known any similar case to this?

2. I'm preparing other document I think might help like my brother's bank guarantee as a second sponsor for just in case, proof of property like house registration (though I don't know how will I proof the cost of the real estates). Is there anything else I can do in the mean time?

3. Could you please clarify this for me? I pointed this out to the officer as I thought it might benefit me but he said he already knew this.
According to the memo on the spreadsheet https://fam.state.gov/fam/09fam/09fam030208.html,
I found an article saying :
"(U) Diversity Immigrants (DV) Applicants: DV applicants differ from most IV applicants in that the Diversity Immigrant program was designed to permit immigration without petitioners or sponsors. As in other IV cases, you should review the totality of the DV applicant’s circumstances to assess her or his likelihood of becoming a public charge. Although the DV program requires a certain level of education or work experience (see 9 FAM 502.6-3), these are minimums and must be considered in the totality of the DV applicant’s circumstances to determine his ability to become or remain self-sufficient in the United States."

Thank you so much for having been a great resource. And thank you in advance for your answers.

If you had asked for more information as to who is eligible to fill out an I-134 for you before going for your interview, I would have informed you it needs to be a USC or a LPR. Also, if your father was in the US on a work visa, he could be considered. Your father’s assets and savings are not in the US or based on a US bank account so they’re considered not easily accessible to you and hence do not suffice. Same thing with your brother’s account if it is not from a US bank.

Keep your fingers crossed and hope the IO and his supervisor are willing to consider the I-134 you submitted. If they consider it to be inadmissible evidence and they need you to demonstrate you’re not likely to become a public charge, you will need to submit a new I-134 from a USC or LPR - that is what you should be working on now.

If you had asked for more information as to who is eligible to fill out an I-134 for you before going for your interview, I would have informed you it needs to be a USC or a LPR. Also, if your father was in the US on a work visa, he could be considered. Your father’s assets and savings are not in the US or based on a US bank account so they’re considered not easily accessible to you and hence do not suffice. Same thing with your brother’s account if it is not from a US bank.

Keep your fingers crossed and hope the IO and his supervisor are willing to consider the I-134 you submitted. If they consider it to be inadmissible and they need you to demonstrate you’re not likely to become a public charge, you will need to submit a new I-134 fro a USC or LPR - that is what you should be working on now.

Mom,

I am on F1 status and I have an annual stipend of $22,000 and my tuition fees are also covered by the University . I have submitted a I-134 too . But my sponsor who is a US citizen had not mentioned the amount of money he has in the bank. But He has mentioned the annual income and provided a letter of employment from the employer and latest W2. It shows a six figures salary and he is a full time professor in a US University. Do you think, not having the bank balance included on I-134 poses a problem on my application?

However, I am thinking of taking a copy of I-485 filing instructions , where it clearly mentions "If you are filing Form I-485 as a DV applicant, you do not need to submit evidence of financial support."

Thank you!

Mom,

I am on F1 status and I have an annual stipend of $22,000 and my tuition fees are also covered by the University . I have submitted a I-134 too . But my sponsor who is a US citizen had not mentioned the amount of money he has in the bank. But He has mentioned the annual income and provided a letter of employment from the employer and latest W2. It shows a six figures salary and he is a full time professor in a US University. Do you think, not having the bank balance included on I-134 poses a problem on my application?

However, I am thinking of taking a copy of I-485 filing instructions , where it clearly mentions "If you are filing Form I-485 as a DV applicant, you do not need to submit evidence of financial support."

Thank you!

1. The supporting documents/evidence are good enough, you should be okay.

2. You can point that out if you like, it’s not like the IO will not be aware of the misleading instructions which I think will be updated pretty soon. It’s not likely to positively influence the IO’s decision IMO though. Why rock the boat when you already have your base covered?

Part of their overall job when they review the AOS package is to ensure they’re not approving people who are likely to apply for benefits they’re not entitled to. There’s no reason to give a DV based petitioner a pass on public charge issue.

All that means is, it’s not a fundamental requirement like it is for family based petitions which are incomplete without it. If the IO thinks you need it to demonstrate you won’t be a public charge, then you need it.

Hello mom,
Here are my steps:
26/06/2018: Package sent to Chicago.
28/06/2018: Package received.
05/07/2018: Walk in for bio metrics.
19/07/2018: Finger prints review completed, case sent to Lee Summit NBC.
03/08/2018: Expedite request filed.
07/08/2018: Info pass Kansas city FO: Officer said case is on transfer from Lee Summit to KC FO.
10/08/2018: "sent a response to your request to have your case expedited"
10/08/2018: Called Customer care, they said its still in transfer.
08/13/2018: Called Customer care, they said my case is in KC FO.

I have info pass appointment on 08/23. Do you have any recommendation or thoughts? Do I have to contact congressional rep? or any other place?
My Case# 2018 As 0000 4xxx

Keep your fingers crossed and hope the IO and his supervisor are willing to consider the I-134 you submitted. If they consider it to be inadmissible evidence and they need you to demonstrate you’re not likely to become a public charge, you will need to submit a new I-134 from a USC or LPR - that is what you should be working on now.
thanks so much. Now I know what to do next. Will keep you updated.

Keep checking USCIS infopass page an earlier appointment date may become available. It happened to me once.

Hello mom,
Here are my steps:
07/08/2018: Info pass Kansas city FO: Officer said case is on transfer from Lee Summit to KC FO.

I have info pass appointment on 08/23. Do you have any recommendation or thoughts? Do I have to contact congressional rep? or any other place?

Hello mom,
Here are my steps:

Complete the next infopass appointment first.

I arrived at the Montgomery field office at 8:25 for our appointment at 9:00. And at 8:30 I was already being greated by a very nice lady, my interview lasted around 10 min. Once I entered the room , the officer took a photo and my fingerprints and I raise my hand and took the oath and she proceeded to confirm all the information in my application (name, address, DOB etc). After this she asked the Yes and NO questions. She did not need any of the documents that I brought in with me. She told me that she had already checked the visa system in the morning and she had alloted one for me.
I have just received the email saying the card is being produced.

Thank you for your help mom. This forum has been super helpful!

I arrived at the Montgomery field office at 8:25 for our appointment at 9:00. And at 8:30 I was already being greated by a very nice lady, my interview lasted around 10 min. Once I entered the room , the officer took a photo and my fingerprints and I raise my hand and took the oath and she proceeded to confirm all the information in my application (name, address, DOB etc). After this she asked the Yes and NO questions. She did not need any of the documents that I brought in with me. She told me that she had already checked the visa system in the morning and she had alloted one for me.

That’s great. Congratulations!!

Congratulations !

That's good - congrats.

Based on previous posts you are EU region, so I am please they are still allocating visas to EU. Fingers crossed for visa allocation for the last few cases. AS & AF should be no problem - other regions are a bit tighter.

Hi @Sm1smom /@Britsimon,

I remember you were saying that unused pre-allocated Visas would be allocated to AOSers toward the end of the FY. When is this "end of the FY"? Like, a few days before Sept. 30? 2 weeks prior? Beginning of Sept?

Somehow for AOEsers from Asia, there hasn't been a lot of progress for those who were interviewed after mid-July. At least that's what I'm noticing, on the DV AOS 2018 Timeline Spreadsheet, for AS numbers.

Thanks!

Hi @Sm1smom /@Britsimon,

I remember you were saying that unused pre-allocated Visas would be allocated to AOSers toward the end of the FY. When is this "end of the FY"? Like, a few days before Sept. 30? 2 weeks prior? Beginning of Sept?

Somehow for AOEsers from Asia, there hasn't been a lot of progress for those who were interviewed after mid-July. At least that's what I'm noticing, on the DV AOS 2018 Timeline Spreadsheet, for AS numbers.

Thanks!

Those last remaining visas are allocated to ALL cases - I didn't say they are allocated to "just" AOSers.

As I have said before. For AS region - this really should NOT be a problem.

For other regions (particularly AF region), there will be unused visas from August cases. They are sent back from the embassies at the end of August, and can be reallocated "during" September.

Hi @Sm1smom /@Britsimon,

Thanks!

Nope, I have never posted about unused allocated visas being re-allocated to AOSers. Never!

Those last remaining visas are allocated to ALL cases - I didn't say they are allocated to "just" AOSers.

For other regions (particularly AF region), there will be unused visas from August cases. They are sent back from the embassies at the end of August, and can be reallocated "during" September.
Hi Brit,
Yesterday an AoSer from AF got his approval after 20 minutes of his interview, which’s on the mid of August.
Is it a visa returned on July or what that could be?
Thanks

Thanks for the further clarification, Simon.

Nope, I have never posted about unused allocated visas being re-allocated to AOSers. Never!
I think I got mixed up - between you and Simon. Now we know it's definitely Simon.

My appointment was at 8 am today at the Orlando FO. I arrived at 7:45 am. My lawyer and I were greeted by a nice immigration officer. The interview lasted 35-minutes. We entered her office, I was sworn and took a photo and fingerprints. She opened her folder as she was reviewing it, she asked me for my name, date of birth, country, citizenship etc and asked to see my passport (Student visa stamp). She asked me if I am still maintaining status and in school, I told her, "Yes, I am still in school and maintaining F1 Status". She requested all my previous I20's and asked if I ever have fallen out of my student status previously. I explained to her why it was a family emergency and wasn't intentional. (I was reinstated on a new I20.) She proceeded to ask me every question that was on the I-485, Yes/No Questions.

Furthermore, she also wanted to know all my previous addresses. I handed her my enrollment letters from both colleges stating what year I have attended and my latest transcripts. She didn't bother to check it and eventually asked about it. The interview was very thorough and straightforward. However, I didn't get an instant decision before leaving her office she said she has to review my SEVIS records for any violations. My lawyer and I assured her there was none.

After 7 hours of waiting, I got the CPO notification. What a relief! I wanted to thank Mom for the advice and Simon for the helpful website and his analysis. I am grateful for all the resources such as the AOS spreadsheet, and Xarthisius amazing data charts. You all made the AOS process less painful (waiting game).

For those going through the process, don't give up! There is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited:
My appointment was at 8 am today at the Orlando FO. I arrived at 7:45 am. My lawyer and I were greeted by a nice immigration officer. The interview lasted 35-minutes. We entered her office, I was sworn and took a photo and fingerprints. She opened her folder as she was reviewing it, she asked me for my name, date of birth, country, citizenship etc and asked to see my passport (Student visa stamp). She asked me if I am still maintaining status and in school, I told her, "Yes, I am still in school and maintaining F1 Status". She requested all my previous I20's and asked if I ever have fallen out of my student status previously. I explained to her why it was a family emergency and wasn't intentional. (I was reinstated on a new I20.) She proceeded to ask me every question that was on the I-485, Yes/No Questions.

Furthermore, she also wanted to know all my previous addresses. I handed her my enrollment letters from both colleges stating what year I have attended and my latest transcripts. She didn't bother to check it and eventually asked about it. The interview was very thorough and straightforward. However, I didn't get an instant decision before leaving her office she said she has to review my SEVIS records for any violations. My lawyer and I assured her there was none.

After 7 hours of waiting, I got the CPO notification. What a relief! I wanted to thank Mom for the advice and Simon for the helpful website and his analysis. I am grateful for all the resources such as the AOS spreadsheet, and Xarthisius amazing data charts. You all made the AOS process less painful (waiting game).

For those going through the process, don't give up! There is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

I’m happy for you. Congratulations!!