• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hello !
My CN number is 2018EU000255xx. I will start the step 5 of the process (Excel spreadsheet). I have a question about medical exam : do my husband also need to do the medical exam ? I believe so...
Another question : I had to renew my passport 2 months ago so my passport number changed. Would that be an issue ?
Thank you

Hello !
My CN number is 2018EU000255xx. I will start the step 5 of the process (Excel spreadsheet). I have a question about medical exam : do my husband also need to do the medical exam ? I believe so...
Another question : I had to renew my passport 2 months ago so my passport number changed. Would that be an issue ?
Thank you
I can answer first part of your Question: yes, each applicant will need his/her own medical exam.

Hello !
Thank you

You haven't submitted your I-485 yet???

Hello all again, Here is an update so far:)

I sent my DV payment on the 20th of July and its been almost 2 weeks and still did not get receipt from them by mail.

Hoping to get it no later than Monday 6th of August (hoping). I got my med exam on hand and all other needed documents to send to LOCKBOX.

Finally, I wanted to us you all, if I send AOS package on 6-10th of August, then based on the timelines it might take up to 8-11 days, to get my BIO schedule which will be around 20th of August(hoping).

Then After the BIO will be done I will have to wait another 2 weeks to get results from BIO which will put me in September 5-8th?

1st question is: is it only after bio done they will give me an interview date? or they might give me an interview while I will be doing BIOS?
2nd question is: From September 8th to 30th Sep, is it possible to get an interview and get a GC? I see only very few people got interviews after BIOS in less then 1 month

Thanks

Hi Mom/Simon,

My spouse just received this email from USCIS. She's the Main Applicant. I, at the time of writing this, still haven't received anything from USCIS. We were interviewed this past Monday, July 30th. We're AS57XX.

Here's the email:

I also checked her Case Status on https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/ and it changed to:

Which basically is the same thing as what the email says.

Now, I have a couple questions I was hoping you could answer for me:
  1. It says that USCIS initiates the background checks.... Does this mean that they haven't done the necessary background checks at all? We did our Biometrics on June 4th, and they haven't done our background checks, even after both of us were already interviewed two days ago?
  2. It also says about scheduling a biometric appointment for us, is this a mistake? We've done our biometrics.
  3. Why did my Spouse (Primary Applicant) get this email and I didn't?
  4. Any idea what would be the typical turn-around time for this "Initial Review"?
  5. Would you be able to tell us the different possible status responses that are usually seen when checking a case status on the USCIS website? in other words, other than "Initial Review", what are some other possible status responses? Or if you happen to know if there's a website or someone who has this information?
  6. What steps should we take next, given the email we received above?
Again, time is ticking and we're racing against the time. And we're doing AOS and so there's even a greater risk. Any advice you could give, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks, Mom & Simon!

1. You can see the message is a ‘generic one’ seeing it mentions other types of petitions, right? So stop trying to analyze the exact wordings it contains. Your background check was initiated when you completed your bio.
2. See 1.
3. I don’t know - and I don’t think it’s a big deal.
4. There’s no ‘typical turn-around time”
5. It just basically means a supervisor is required to review your IO’s decision before it gets finalized - Your IO is probably not authorized to issue a final approval.
6. We already told you what you should do.

Hello all again, Here is an update so far:)

I sent my DV payment on the 20th of July and its been almost 2 weeks and still did not get receipt from them by mail.

Hoping to get it no later than Monday 6th of August (hoping). I got my med exam on hand and all other needed documents to send to LOCKBOX.

Finally, I wanted to us you all, if I send AOS package on 6-10th of August, then based on the timelines it might take up to 8-11 days, to get my BIO schedule which will be around 20th of August(hoping).

Then After the BIO will be done I will have to wait another 2 weeks to get results from BIO which will put me in September 5-8th?

1st question is: is it only after bio done they will give me an interview date? or they might give me an interview while I will be doing BIOS?
2nd question is: From September 8th to 30th Sep, is it possible to get an interview and get a GC? I see only very few people got interviews after BIOS in less then 1 month

Thanks

You’ve already been told (more than once) to see the timeline spreadsheets to get an idea of how long it may take your FO to schedule an interview.
You can email KCC and request a copy of the receipt be emailed back to you due to time crunch.

Hi mom,
How are you?.
I have a few questions if you don’t mind:
1-do I need a prove of residency since I live with my friend and the contract and the bills under his name?, at the same time all my paycheck and government mail send to this address?.
2-I have a part time job and My family supports me overseas and I’m a student ,do I need to do the form for financial support (I don’t know the name of the for) ?.
Thanks for your kindness in advance.

Hello,

I am from Asia(Sri Lanka), currently in the US under F1 visa(Spouse under F2 visa). I have been selected for Diversity Immigrant Visa Program for the fiscal year 2019 (DV-2019 lottery). My case number is quite high(2019AS128XX).

1. Since AOS takes longer than the normal Consular Processing is it risk to apply for AOS with a higher case number ?
2. If I go with CP, are there any possibility for rejection, which can cause me any restrictions to come to USA again ?
Thanks,

Last edited:
Because you were yet to file AOS when the AF CNs retrogressed, I honestly don’t think there’s any hope of your petition being approved if you go ahead and file now, your CN is above what is currently “current”. I’m sorry regarding how messed up this year’s processing has turned out. But if you want to take a gamble and hope it turns out for the best, then you can proceed by submitting your AOS package.

Hello Mom/Simon

My CN is AF00048xxx and I received my 2nl back in july when Africa went current but unfortunately the last VB retrogressed to 39500. Few weeks ago, I asked You (Mom) whether it was necessary for me to pursue my process since my CN was above what is currently " current " and you gave me the answer above therefore I made my mind not to continue with the process.
However, I just noticed that my check for the DV fee has been cashed and today I received the form I filled out and mailed along with the check in the first place with a stamp " PAID" on the form.
Now, I don't really know what to think about that and it will be nice if you can give your thoughts on it.

Thank you.

Hi mom,
How are you?.
I have a few questions if you don’t mind:
1-do I need a prove of residency since I live with my friend and the contract and the bills under his name?, at the same time all my paycheck and government mail send to this address?.
2-I have a part time job and My family supports me overseas and I’m a student ,do I need to do the form for financial support (I don’t know the name of the for) ?.
Thanks for your kindness in advance.

1. Typically not required, but your school documents that shows the address along and have them with you.
2. Having an I-134 as a backup Financial document is recommended.

Hello,

I am from Asia(Sri Lanka), currently in the US under F1 visa(Spouse under F2 visa). I have been selected for Diversity Immigrant Visa Program for the fiscal year 2019 (DV-2019 lottery). My case number is quite high(2019AS128XX).

1. Since AOS takes longer than the normal Consular Processing is it risk to apply for AOS with a higher case number ?
2. If I go with CP, are there any possibility for rejection, which can cause me any restrictions to come to USA again ?
Thanks,

Post your questions on the 2019 AOS thread.

Hello Mom/Simon

My CN is AF00048xxx and I received my 2nl back in july when Africa went current but unfortunately the last VB retrogressed to 39500. Few weeks ago, I asked You (Mom) whether it was necessary for me to pursue my process since my CN was above what is currently " current " and you gave me the answer above therefore I made my mind not to continue with the process.
However, I just noticed that my check for the DV fee has been cashed and today I received the form I filled out and mailed along with the check in the first place with a stamp " PAID" on the form.
Now, I don't really know what to think about that and it will be nice if you can give your thoughts on it.

Thank you.

The previous response I gave still applies. The DOS doesn’t check to see if one is current or not before cashing any payment they receive and issuing a payment receipt. They would have done exactly the same thing if you had sent the payment in May 2017 (long before your CN became current) or Dec 2018 when your FY is over - they would have cashed it and sent you a receipt.

1. Typically not required, but your school documents that shows the address along and have them with you.
2. Having an I-134 as a backup Financial document is recommended.
Sorry for bothering mom, I have one more question :
Do I need to submit I-134 to the USCIS or just take it with me in case that the officer needs a document for financial support?.

1. It’s too late for you to switch to CP, your lawyer obviously doesn’t understand the process. KCC has already scheduled CP September interviews. Your congress person can’t expedite your case either, they can only do a case follow up inquiry. You should go on an INFOPASS to follow up in person.

2. See 1 above.

Curious to know when you actually filed though since your CN was current in May and you did bio in mid July.

Mom, Thanks for your reply. I had the INFOPASS appointment earlier today. I checked in and spoke to the IO about my case. He told me that background was cleared on July 18th (Same day). KCC files have been requested today also. The AOS files arrived at the office on July 25th. However, they couldn't schedule the interview yet because one of the Chief of the field office is reviewing my birth certificate and foreign documents for authenticity before scheduling the interview. Is this an odd response to get?

The lawyer took a while to file my application because he was waiting for the receipt so he can include it in the AOS package. It was filled on June 16th.

Last edited:
Mom, Thanks for your reply. I had the INFOPASS appointment earlier today. I checked in and spoke to the IO about my case. He told me that background was cleared on July 18th (Same day). The AOS files arrived at the office on July 25th. However, they couldn't schedule the interview yet because one of the Chief of the field office is reviewing my birth certificate and foreign documents for authenticity before scheduling the interview. Is this an odd response to get?

The lawyer took a while to file my application because he was waiting for the receipt so he can include it in the AOS package. It was filled on June 16th.
My goodness, if they are authenticate your foreign documents through their embassy in your home country this might take long time.
Is this normal ??

Mom, Thanks for your reply. I had the INFOPASS appointment earlier today. I checked in and spoke to the IO about my case. He told me that background was cleared on July 18th (Same day). KCC files have been requested today also. The AOS files arrived at the office on July 25th. However, they couldn't schedule the interview yet because one of the Chief of the field office is reviewing my birth certificate and foreign documents for authenticity before scheduling the interview. Is this an odd response to get?

Which country are you chargeable to? Did you include certified translated copies of your foreign issued documents with your package?

Which country are you chargeable to? Did you include certified translated copies of your foreign issued documents with your package?
Mom,

My foreign changeability is Aruba (ARB) we are part of the Kingdom Of the Netherlands. (EU). A small island of only 120,000 people. The foreign birth certificate was provided by Census and someone else translated it for me. That is the only foreign document that was included in my package. I did college here so the transcripts are in English. They can easily verify it with the Dutch Embassy in Miami or DC.

1.What do you suggest doing, Mom?

Last edited:
Hi Mom
Here is my case progress so far:
Case# 2018AS00004xxx
DS 260 fees Paid
26/06: AOS package sent to chicago by UPS.
July 11: Checks cashed.
July 16th: Bio metrics don in Kansas City FO.
July 19th: Review of your fingerprints completed.
July 31: Expedite request is assigned to an officer for response.

Current Case Status: As of July 19, 2018, we completed our review of your fingerprints and are working on your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, Receipt Number MSC1891352026, at our National Benefits Center location. We will let you know if we make a decision or need anything from you. If you move

Next Step: We will prepare your case for officer review. If we need more information, we will notify you.

I have info pass appointemnt on Aug 7th. Do you have any recommendation of what should I ask or do to push the process?

You’ve already been told (more than once) to see the timeline spreadsheets to get an idea of how long it may take your FO to schedule an interview.
You can email KCC and request a copy of the receipt be emailed back to you due to time crunch.
Hello Mom,

Do you mean copy of the DV paid receipt to ask from KCC? Can I do that though? I sent my payment to Missouri office I believe

Let me know

THanks