• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Oh Lord... If I drop this idea, then I will probably blame myself for the rest of my life for not trying (because who knows, Maybe I will get my GC, just like I got randomly chosen)

However, if I file everything and do those med shots that I literally do not need, since my health is fine, and won't get an interview, then I will lose $1500 and leave with 2-3 med shots that I do not need. :) Also, I won't blame myself, because at least I tried.

Mom, I do not know what to do.

I’m sorry I can’t tell you what you should or shouldn’t do. You knew back in June your CN was current for August, but didn’t start the process then. When I pointed this out, your response to me back then was you were busy with other stuff and didn’t have the money anyways. You’ve been on this forum since May 2017 and didn’t bother to make adequate preparations for when your CN becomes current. So you decide on your own as to what to do.

I’m sorry I can’t tell you what you should or shouldn’t do. You knew back in June your CN was current for August, but didn’t start the process then. When I pointed this out, your response to me back then was you were busy with other stuff and didn’t have the money anyways. You’ve been on this forum since May 2017 and didn’t bother to make adequate preparations for when your CN becomes current. So you decide on your own as to what to do.

You are right.

1.So, will I lose my f-1 status if I won't get an interview by the end of Sep 30th, or no?

2.Also, 30th of Sep is the deadline to get "an interview letter received" or "interview date scheduled". Like I was thinking if by the end of SEP they I will get an interview letter, and then my interview might be in oct maybe. Is that how it works ?

Like Mom says, it depends on your specific field office and possibly on how long your background check takes to clear. All the steps until the Biometrics are pretty straight forward and happen within probably 1 month. Receiving the invitation letter (IL) however, can take time.. which is the most annoying part. You can only wait and then if still the IL hasn't arrived, you can schedule an Infopass to get more information about your case. In your case, if you send everything by the end of July, and then say get through the first steps until the end of August, you have 1 months to get an IL + approved. Not impossible, all you can do is hope they are fast! :)

I live in Chicago since 2012, and never moved to another City and finished University here, and have all records here. Never lost my F-1 Status though and wasn't convicted.
Maybe I get lucky that they will process my background check fast enough :) I don't know.

You are right.

1.So, will I lose my f-1 status if I won't get an interview by the end of Sep 30th, or no?

2.Also, 30th of Sep is the deadline to get "an interview letter received" or "interview date scheduled". Like I was thinking if by the end of SEP they I will get an interview letter, and then my interview might be in oct maybe. Is that how it works ?

1) No, you won't lose your f-1 status.
2) By September 30, you need to be approved for your GC, meaning by that time you already received the interview letter as well as went to the interview + the IO approved your case.

But Mom should confirm.

1) No, you won't lose your f-1 status.
2) By September 30, you need to be approved for your GC, meaning by that time you already received the interview letter as well as went to the interview + the IO approved your case.

But Mom should confirm.

Is that even possible to receive Interview letter as well as go to the interview + approval from IO, within 1 month ?, What if My interview letter will come before 30th sep and they will schedule an interview after September? I just have to wait for an Interview Letter to be safe right?

Is that even possible to receive Interview letter as well as go to the interview + approval from IO, within 1 month ?, What if My interview letter will come before 30th sep and they will schedule an interview after September? I just have to wait for an Interview Letter to be safe right?

It is possible. Take a look at this year's timeline. There are various individuals for whom the time between receiving the interview letter and the card production ordered (CPO) date was less than 1 month.
In regards to your second question, September 30 is the deadline. This means that you wouldn't receive an IL with an appointment for October.

If that happens, you visit your FO and try to convince them to move your interview forward as they cannot issue you with a GC after Sept. 30th. Of course there’s no guarantee they will agree to move it forward.

In regards to your second question, September 30 is the deadline. This means that you wouldn't receive an IL with an appointment for October.

Yes that is possible. It has happened before as a matter of fact! This person got the interview date scheduled for Oct, didn’t do anything about it, showed up for the interview as scheduled and was told at the end of the interview they couldn’t get the GC because the FY was over.

Yes that is possible. It has happened before as a matter of fact! This person got the interview date scheduled for Oct, didn’t do anything about it, showed up for the interview as scheduled and was told at the end of the interview they couldn’t get the GC because the FY was over.

I am sorry what was "FY" stand for? I could not find it in abbreviations.

Thanks

Wow. That is borderline unbelievable. Just wow.

I am sorry what was "FY" stand for? I could not find it in abbreviations.

Thanks
FY=Fiscal Year.
For the U.S. Government it starts October 1 and ends September 30, which is why that is also the deadline to be approved for the GC. Starting October 1, the new FY starts and DV2019 cases can start applying.

FY=Fiscal Year.
For the U.S. Government it starts October 1 and ends September 30, which is why that is also the deadline to be approved for the GC. Starting October 1, the new FY starts and DV2019 cases can start applying.

Thanks,

How long it took you to get DV payment Fee receipt ? Shows 2-4 weeks. Thinking if I will get it in 4 weeks then I am lost :)

Wow. That is borderline unbelievable. Just wow.
Not really. DV aos cases are a tiny % of total and many posts here show not everyone at FOs are as familiar with it as they should be. The applicant involved should know about FY end though and should have contacted FO when saw date on IL.

Hello mom. When do u recommend I get infopass after the biometrics done?

You can go whenever you like, however I suggest you first take a look at the timeline spreadsheets to get a better understanding of how long it takes your FO to send out the IL.

Hello MOM,

I am sorry my post is a little bit longer. I hope it will be helpful for the other folks too.

I had my second info-pass today. I just came from the Field office. After the today’s response of officer, I am totally blank and have no idea about – what next???

As you might remember that in our last info-pass, officer told us that my wife’s file who is principal applicant -- is on reviewing at Virginia Field Office. After the week of that appointment, I contacted to USCIS customer center and speak with second level officer. At that time, he responded that our both cases have already arrived at our Baltimore FO.

In today’s appointment officer was not helpful as before. We request him to see if that is there anything holding up our case to be interviewed. He rudely replied that we are still waiting for the file from one of our agencies; as we received that file, we will review, and you will hear soon from us. He said that both of your cases have been waiting for the files from one of our agencies. Officer asked us that -- do you guys have any other immigration benefit related pending cases --- I replied yes (Since we do have the pending asylum case too). He said that having multiple immigration benefit cases, we need to review all files. We have mentioned in our cover letter and we have attached the copy of a receipt for pending asylum case in our AOS package. What I understand today is -- our field office is requesting a file of asylum case and still waiting to receive.

Long story short, as I earlier mentioned that; we have a pending asylum case since the January 2017. We had done our fingerprint but not hear anything for our asylum case. I am the principal applicant in our asylum case and my wife is on dependent. But in DV case, my wife won the lottery and I am dependent.

I arrived here in March 2016 in F1 visa and my wife in F2 in May 2016. We never lose our status. I am still in college at the last semester.

I have read the post from you MOM and other folks starting from 2015 DV AOS Thread who was in the same boat as me.

After reviewing more than 15 different cases, I have found that for some there was not any problem for adjustment of status through DV and for some they were unable to adjust their status even though they were current early in Nov, Dec months. One person's experience in 2017 seems unique to me that instead of DV interview, he received the asylum interview notice and his DV case file was transferred to asylum office. To sum up, it seems to me that with the pending asylum case, AOS through DV seems little more time than normal and there were little more inquiries and complication.

Our case timeline –

Case Current -- July

Package sent – 12th May

Received -- 17th May

Bio Done – 5th June

Found out that our preliminary security/background check has been completed at the time of first infopass on July 3rd.

Note that – we are not from the travel ban countries.

And waiting for the interview letter.

So, my questions:

1) At this point, what way would you suggest me to do follow up for the case; I mean wait and see for a while or take another info pass or go for the inquiry through Congress?

2) I am confused what – do they really need to have our asylum case file in FO before taking any action in our DV Case? Since I have seen that you responded that DV and asylum are both different cases and are not related to each other.

3) I asked him that our case has been already assigned to the IO or not, but he does not give a concrete answer. So, do you think from this case scenario that our case has already been assigned to IO?

Thank you MOM for your valuable time -

Hi,
I have the similar situation of yours, my wife is the asylum principal applicant and I am the winner of DV, my number was current on May.
I filed my petition on May 1st and received the IL to be July 25 (after 5 days).
By the way, my FO is Virginia fairfax too.
Pray for us.

Reactions: Wra
Hi,
I have the similar situation of yours, my wife is the asylum principal applicant and I am the winner of DV, my number was current on May.
I filed my petition on May 1st and received the IL to be July 25 (after 5 days).
By the way, my FO is Virginia fairfax too.
Pray for us.
Thanks for your response W.M,
And Good Luck for your interview,
By the way, have you ever reach to your congress men or do the case inquiry through USCIS Ombudsmen?
I am in confusion, should I need to wait for a while or reach out to the congress men. I can't decide yet!
Anyway, keep on posting your updates !
God Bless You!

Thanks for your response W.M,
And Good Luck for your interview,
By the way, have you ever reach to your congress men or do the case inquiry through USCIS Ombudsmen?
I am in confusion, should I need to wait for a while or reach out to the congress men. I can't decide yet!
Anyway, keep on posting your updates !
God Bless You!
Actually I never contacted with the Congress men on my area, the process went smooth without need to reach them out.
You can wait for another two weeks, then try your Congress man to expedite .

Last edited: