• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Mom, Last question.

I have every document that I need to file AOS package, including sponsor letters from bank, However I am missing on I-693 medical exam envelop and copy of DV Fee paid.

1. Do you think, if I will make my med exam and receive envelop within 1 week I think?

2. Do you think, if I wil pay fee Tonight and probably receive receipt within 1 - 2 weeks?

These are the only documents I am missing to file AOS Package.

3. If I receive med exam and fee receipt within 2 weeks, I could file AOS Package in the middle of August which will leave me with 1 month and 15 days before SEPTEMBER 31.

4. Do you know anyone who was running tight on the timeline and still got the GC?

Thanks in advance

1. Most people typically complete the medical process within a week.
2. Maybe
4. Yes I know of cases that got filed in July and got approved in September. I also know of similar cases that didn’t complete the process by Sept. 30th.

Hi mom
I’m so suprised
I was give my finger print on 23 April
I was waiting the interview
I was take infoappointment
I was talk to uscis
And two days ago they called me
I went to uscis for interview
I got green card
They gonna send two weeks after
Thank you mom

Congratulations.

I would say the instruction in USCIS regards to DV based GC is very clear; include the i-693 should submit with 485 together. Not sure where is the source that state i-693 can be brought to interview?
https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/diversity-visa

Hi Mxmlittle,

You are right that on the website you provided the link to, it doesn't state anything regarding not submitting I-485 and I-693 together.

I was looking at the instructions for the I-485:
1) https://www.uscis.gov/i-485
2) Open the instructions file
3) On page 12, under #10 it states "You are NOT required to submit Form I-693 at the time you file your adjustment application, but may do so if you wish. [..] You may also submit Form I-693 in person at an interview in a USCIS field office, if an interview is required"

But, looking back now, it definitely is better to submit it together. That way you won't get denied by the Chicago Lockbox (due to missing I-693), won't receive an RFE (due to missing I-693) and you could possibly be approved without an interview!

Hi Mxmlittle,

You are right that on the website you provided the link to, it doesn't state anything regarding not submitting I-485 and I-693 together.

Actually the link mxmlittle gave does specifically tell you to submit I693 as part of the package. Probably because that link is specific to DV and understands the sunset clause that doesn’t apply to the vast majority of I485 cases.

Hi Lcky7,

While I am not finished with the process quite yet, I have gone through the majority of the steps that are involved in the AoS process.

I highly recommend you to take a look at this year's timeline that you can access from mom's spreadsheet. It shows all the major milestones one has to go through. After sending in the package to the Chicago Lockbox (assuming they accept your package) you will receive an acceptance e-mail/text/NOA letter and then receive an invitation for the biometrics appointment and thereafter you would receive an invitation letter for an interview (again assuming you have all documents included. You could also be approved for a GC without an interview if you send in all required documents).

Good luck!

I have records of vaccines (some of them), but it is In my home country. My nurse made an apt for tomorrow at 1:30pm, and said tests will be ready in 1 week.

I have records of vaccines (some of them), but it is In my home country. My nurse made an apt for tomorrow at 1:30pm, and said tests will be ready in 1 week.
Hi Lcky7,

That is good news. Just as a heads-up, if you don't have vaccination records for the vaccinations that are required, you will either have to get these vaccinations done at the doctor's office or have blood titer test taken so that they can proof that you are immune. Those are additional costs, which can be high depending on where you get them done!

Good luck!

Interview experience from NYC Processing:
Our AOS case was based on a transfer from an E2 visa to GC based on my spouse winning selection for processing under DV2018, therefore both of us and our two kids needed to be present at interview.
Our interview was in NYC Federal building, arrived 1 hour early and were admitted without problem. We were in the waiting room for 90 minutes (30 minutes over nominal interview time) which was expected. The security guard and kiosk facilitator were very pleasant and helpful, especially given that we had two small kids. Once called, we were brought to a typical office unit and our file opened. The officer was very familiar with our case and had obviously spent considerable time reviewing the application and had already made copious notes. The officer was officious but pleasant and the tone remained mostly formal for the duration. Each of our files were review in turn and after taking oaths, we were each asked several security questions. I was asked only a couple of questions about our compliance with our existing visa but nothing too detailed. Officer commented that the tidy organization of our file helped a lot and as we sat across the other side of the desk, I too was thankful we had spent time grouping information as nothing had to be searched for (our file was pretty sizable).
Most of this process seemed to be clerical in nature and we felt afterwards that "interview" may not be the best word for what we had experienced. After about 90 mins in the office, we were told the application details were sufficient and we would receive notification in the mail. Although officer was generally positive, we were not explicitly informed whether we had been approved or not. However, we received CPO confirmation the following morning and could relax.

Finally, a major thank you to all on this forum for their advice, steadying hand when things looked rough, and a place to go when no other door was opened to us.
We will be forever grateful to those who give up their time and knowledge, especially @Britsimon and @Sm1smom
Good luck to all still waiting to be processed. Keep positive and see you on the other side!

1. Most people typically complete the medical process within a week.
2. Maybe
4. Yes I know of cases that got filed in July and got approved in September. I also know of similar cases that didn’t complete the process by Sept. 30th.

1. You are right mom, nurse just said made blood test for $150 plus $125 visit to doctor. I called to several clinics and found this not being very expensive and they gave me apt for tomorrow at 1:30 pm. I did all my vaccines back in my country 10-15 years ago, but nurse said I might do it again. Anyways, I will do blood tests and they will see what I need, and if I need those shots than I will comply and do them. :)

2. I will send DV fee by UPS overnight service, so they will get it fast.

3. Mom, I wanted to ask. 31st Of September is the last day to submit all papers or is the deadline for interviews?

4. Because I was thinking if Med exam and Fee payment will get in 1-2 weeks, then I will send AOS package. Do you know how long will it take for them to receive AOS PACKAGE? because after getting AOS package they will send me letter to do BIO right? and only after BIOmetrics I will receive an interview letter.

Thanks in advance

Hi Lcky7,

That is good news. Just as a heads-up, if you don't have vaccination records for the vaccinations that are required, you will either have to get these vaccinations done at the doctor's office or have blood titer test taken so that they can proof that you are immune. Those are additional costs, which can be high depending on where you get them done!

Good luck!

Thanks for reply.

I will take blood tests and will wait to see if I am immune or not. I think I am based on my med History, but I am not sure :)

Hopefully, if it will take me a week for med exam and I will pay the DV fee tonight, I will be able to file AOS package by the end of JULY which will leave me with 2 month Window.

Do you think I should be safe? I kinda want to try.

Thanks

1. You are right mom, nurse just said made blood test for $150 plus $125 visit to doctor. I called to several clinics and found this not being very expensive and they gave me apt for tomorrow at 1:30 pm. I did all my vaccines back in my country 10-15 years ago, but nurse said I might do it again. Anyways, I will do blood tests and they will see what I need, and if I need those shots than I will comply and do them. :)

2. I will send DV fee by UPS overnight service, so they will get it fast.

3. Mom, I wanted to ask. 31st Of September is the last day to submit all papers or is the deadline for interviews?

4. Because I was thinking if Med exam and Fee payment will get in 1-2 weeks, then I will send AOS package. Do you know how long will it take for them to receive AOS PACKAGE? because after getting AOS package they will send me letter to do BIO right? and only after BIOmetrics I will receive an interview letter.

Thanks in advance

Sept. 30th is the last day to be APPROVED - meaning interview and/or approval must take place on that day.

See the timeline spreadsheets for other users’ time break down. Also see the AOS process spreadsheet for the steps involved.

Thanks for reply.

I will take blood tests and will wait to see if I am immune or not. I think I am based on my med History, but I am not sure :)

Hopefully, if it will take me a week for med exam and I will pay the DV fee tonight, I will be able to file AOS package by the end of JULY which will leave me with 2 month Window.

Do you think I should be safe? I kinda want to try.

Thanks

Can't really say if you are safe or not, but, I would think you still have a chance! Just make sure to not have any missing documents and send everything correctly (you cannot afford any delays).
For me it has been a month now since the Chicago Lockbox received my package and I am currently waiting for an interview invitation letter.

Sept. 30th is the last day to be APPROVED - meaning interview and/or approval must take place on that day.

See the timeline spreadsheets for other users’ time break down. Also see the AOS process spreadsheet for the steps involved.

I just saw timelines and noticed that when they send AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox ( by the way I live in Chicago :), not sure if it means anything in this case ), people were getting acceptance letter, Noa letter, bio letter and bio scheduled date within 1-2.5 weeks from filing their AOS PACKAGE. However most of them received an interview date after 2-3, month from biometrics. Do you think if by the end of August I will receive all needed letters from USCIS and will finish my bio, and get interview schedule letter by end of 30th of SEP (just in 1 month period) ?

Can't really say if you are safe or not, but, I would think you still have a chance! Just make sure to not have any missing documents and send everything correctly (you cannot afford any delays).
For me it has been a month now since the Chicago Lockbox received my package and I am currently waiting for an interview invitation letter.

I saw in the timelines that Mom suggested, that people were getting acceptance letters and bio scheduled date within 1-2.5 weeks from filing AOS package.
However, I also saw that they were getting interview letters in 2-3 month. Maybe that is just because some of their CN numbers were not current? and if my number is current I might get an interview within a month ?

I just saw timelines and noticed that when they send AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox ( by the way I live in Chicago :), not sure if it means anything in this case ), people were getting acceptance letter, Noa letter, bio letter and bio scheduled date within 1-2.5 weeks from filing their AOS PACKAGE. However most of them received an interview date after 2-3, month from biometrics. Do you think if by the end of August I will receive all needed letters from USCIS and will finish my bio, and get interview schedule letter by end of 30th of SEP (just in 1 month period) ?

I don’t know. When you get scheduled or receive your IL depends on your specific FO’s workload. It also may depend on how soon your background check clears.

I don’t know. When you get scheduled or receive your IL depends on your specific FO’s workload. It also may depend on how soon your background check clears.

Will I lose $1225 if they accept my AOS Package, schedule biometrics but do not come back with an interview date ? It is confusing to me. I know that $330 DV fee is non refundable, but what about $1225 ?

Will I lose $1225 if they accept my AOS Package, schedule biometrics but do not come back with an interview date ? It is confusing to me. I know that $330 DV fee is non refundable, but what about $1225 ?

Equally none refundable (regardless of the petition’s outcome) once the NOA gets issued.

Hello MOM,

I am sorry my post is a little bit longer. I hope it will be helpful for the other folks too.

I had my second info-pass today. I just came from the Field office. After the today’s response of officer, I am totally blank and have no idea about – what next???

As you might remember that in our last info-pass, officer told us that my wife’s file who is principal applicant -- is on reviewing at Virginia Field Office. After the week of that appointment, I contacted to USCIS customer center and speak with second level officer. At that time, he responded that our both cases have already arrived at our Baltimore FO.

In today’s appointment officer was not helpful as before. We request him to see if that is there anything holding up our case to be interviewed. He rudely replied that we are still waiting for the file from one of our agencies; as we received that file, we will review, and you will hear soon from us. He said that both of your cases have been waiting for the files from one of our agencies. Officer asked us that -- do you guys have any other immigration benefit related pending cases --- I replied yes (Since we do have the pending asylum case too). He said that having multiple immigration benefit cases, we need to review all files. We have mentioned in our cover letter and we have attached the copy of a receipt for pending asylum case in our AOS package. What I understand today is -- our field office is requesting a file of asylum case and still waiting to receive.

Long story short, as I earlier mentioned that; we have a pending asylum case since the January 2017. We had done our fingerprint but not hear anything for our asylum case. I am the principal applicant in our asylum case and my wife is on dependent. But in DV case, my wife won the lottery and I am dependent.

I arrived here in March 2016 in F1 visa and my wife in F2 in May 2016. We never lose our status. I am still in college at the last semester.

I have read the post from you MOM and other folks starting from 2015 DV AOS Thread who was in the same boat as me.

After reviewing more than 15 different cases, I have found that for some there was not any problem for adjustment of status through DV and for some they were unable to adjust their status even though they were current early in Nov, Dec months. One person's experience in 2017 seems unique to me that instead of DV interview, he received the asylum interview notice and his DV case file was transferred to asylum office. To sum up, it seems to me that with the pending asylum case, AOS through DV seems little more time than normal and there were little more inquiries and complication.

Our case timeline –

Case Current -- July

Package sent – 12th May

Received -- 17th May

Bio Done – 5th June

Found out that our preliminary security/background check has been completed at the time of first infopass on July 3rd.

Note that – we are not from the travel ban countries.

And waiting for the interview letter.

So, my questions:

1) At this point, what way would you suggest me to do follow up for the case; I mean wait and see for a while or take another info pass or go for the inquiry through Congress?

2) I am confused what – do they really need to have our asylum case file in FO before taking any action in our DV Case? Since I have seen that you responded that DV and asylum are both different cases and are not related to each other.

3) I asked him that our case has been already assigned to the IO or not, but he does not give a concrete answer. So, do you think from this case scenario that our case has already been assigned to IO?

Thank you MOM for your valuable time -

Last edited:
I saw in the timelines that Mom suggested, that people were getting acceptance letters and bio scheduled date within 1-2.5 weeks from filing AOS package.
However, I also saw that they were getting interview letters in 2-3 month. Maybe that is just because some of their CN numbers were not current? and if my number is current I might get an interview within a month ?

Like Mom says, it depends on your specific field office and possibly on how long your background check takes to clear. All the steps until the Biometrics are pretty straight forward and happen within probably 1 month. Receiving the invitation letter (IL) however, can take time.. which is the most annoying part. You can only wait and then if still the IL hasn't arrived, you can schedule an Infopass to get more information about your case. In your case, if you send everything by the end of July, and then say get through the first steps until the end of August, you have 1 months to get an IL + approved. Not impossible, all you can do is hope they are fast! :)

Equally none refundable (regardless of the petition’s outcome) once the NOA gets issued.

Oh Lord... If I drop this idea, then I will probably blame myself for the rest of my life for not trying (because who knows, Maybe I will get my GC, just like I got randomly chosen)

However, if I file everything and do those med shots that I literally do not need, since my health is fine, and won't get an interview, then I will lose $1500 and leave with 2-3 med shots that I do not need. :) Also, I won't blame myself, because at least I tried.

Mom, I do not know what to do.

Hello MOM,

I am sorry my post is a little bit longer. I hope it will be helpful for the other folks too.

I had my second info-pass today. I just came from the Field office. After the today’s response of officer, I am totally blank and have no idea about – what next???

As you might remember that in our last info-pass, officer told us that my wife’s file who is principal applicant -- is on reviewing at Virginia Field Office. After the week of that appointment, I contacted to USCIS customer center and speak with second level officer. At that time, he responded that our both cases have already arrived at our Baltimore FO.

In today’s appointment officer was not helpful as before. We request him to see if that is there anything holding up our case to be interviewed. He rudely replied that we are still waiting for the file from one of our agencies; as we received that file, we will review, and you will hear soon from us. He said that both of your cases have been waiting for the files from one of our agencies. Officer asked us that -- do you guys have any other immigration benefit related pending cases --- I replied yes (Since we do have the pending asylum case too). He said that having multiple immigration benefit cases, we need to review all files. We have mentioned in our cover letter and we have attached the copy of a receipt for pending asylum case in our AOS package. What I understand today is -- our field office is requesting a file of asylum case and still waiting to receive.

Long story short, as I earlier mentioned that; we have a pending asylum case since the January 2017. We had done our fingerprint but not hear anything for our asylum case. I am the principal applicant in our asylum case and my wife is on dependent. But in DV case, my wife won the lottery and I am dependent.

I arrived here in March 2016 in F1 visa and my wife in F2 in May 2016. We never lose our status. I am still in college at the last semester.

I have read the post from you MOM and other folks starting from 2015 DV AOS Thread who was in the same boat as me.

After reviewing more than 15 different cases, I have found that for some there was not any problem for adjustment of status through DV and for some they were unable to adjust their status even though they were current early in Nov, Dec months. One of the folk experience in 2017 seems unique to me that instead of DV interview, he received the asylum interview notice and his DV case file was transferred to asylum office. To sum up, it seems to me that with the pending asylum case, AOS through DV seems little more time than normal and there were little more inquiries and complication.

Our case timeline –

Case Current -- July

Package sent – 12th May

Received -- 17th May

Bio Done – 5th June

Found out that our preliminary security/background check has been completed at the time of first infopass on July 3rd.

Note that – we are not from the travel ban countries.

And waiting for the interview letter.

So, my questions:

1) At this point, what way would you suggest me to do follow up for the case; I mean wait and see for a while or take another info pass or go for the inquiry through Congress?

2) I am confused what – do they really need to have our asylum case file in FO before taking any action in our DV Case? Since I have seen that you responded that DV and asylum are both different cases and are not related to each other.

3) I asked him that our case has been already assigned to the IO or not, but he does not give a concrete answer. So, do you think from this case scenario that our case has already been assigned to IO?

Thank you MOM for your valuable time -

1. You can do a congressional inquiry, you can also reach out to the ombudsman’s office for assistance.

2. Yes your DV and asylum petitions are different from one another. However it is normal for the asylum petition to be reviewed before the DV petition gets adjudicated. They have to ensure the asylum wasn’t a frivolous one to start with because without the pending asylum you wouldn’t have had a status to file a DV based AOS petition from to start with. It is normal for other pending petitions by the same petitioner to be looked at during the process.

And of course with the present anti immigration stance and ongoing reactions to current/new asylum seekers you really shouldn’t have been surprised by the scrutiny your asylum petition is receiving as part of your DV based AOS petition, regardless of who was/is the principal applicant between you and your spouse in each case.

3. Yes case has to be already assigned to an IO, since the person in charge of the case is the one that makes the call for your other files to be sent over.

Reactions: Wra