• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

1. Yes I know of AOS cases that became current in September and got approved by COB Sept. 30th.

2. I’m sorry to learn of your father’s health. You can’t get an AP card simply by submitting the DS260 form. You’ll need to actually file for AOS, as in submit an I-485 in order to be eligible to apply for an AP card. Yes, it is possible to get an expedited AP card under compelling situations - your dad’s health could qualify as one.
EDIT: There are cons to using an AOS based EAD or AP card by the way. Be sure you’re familiar with them before using either of those cards should you get one.

3. The Congress man/woman’s office can not compel USCIS to expedite your case because you need to do solos trips back and forth. A DV based AOS petition is already an expedited petition compared to a family or employment based AOS petition which takes much more longer since there’s no FY sunset factor to contend with. USCIS will determine on its own if you qualify for a GC or not regardless of your desire to not travel back and forth to renew your E3 visa.

Anyway, you still have to wait for the final VB to see if your CN will indeed become current.

Many thanks for the all the info! :)

FYI for anyone else who's going through the process of having to get their greencard reissued due to theft, I made an INFOPASS appointment, which seems impossible in LA, and today at the appointment was rejected because I booked the appointment using my mailing address zip code and not my physical address zip code. It's the same office location either way, the zip codes aren't that far from each other distance wise. I had to change my mailing address to a safer one due to the initial greencard not being delivered successfully. Anyway, they wouldn't even allow me to state what my issue was, they just asked me to leave and book a new appointment. I feel so defeated and stuck, I just want to be able to work and travel.

I also did a walk-in for my second biometrics and the man/officer/whatever his title is, asked what happened and confirmed my suspicions that USPS most likely mishandled my greencard.

Hi Mom,

AoS package arrived in Chicago this morning! I am now getting ready for my Medical Exam tomorrow. I tried to find comments that talked about the vaccination requirements and/or things to pay attention to and just wanted to confirm the following with you:

1) As stated on the spreadsheet, the only vaccination requirements are: TD/TDAP, MMR, Flu (not applicable now as we are not in flu season) + the TB skin test, correct (even though the I-693 lists more vaccinations)?
2) For the other ones that are listed, yet not required, the doctor will cross one of the three options for "Not Medically Appropriate" -- and not leave them blank?
3) Make sure to receive a copy.
4) Is there anything else that I need to make absolutely sure that the doctor fills out correctly (anything crucial)?

Thank you!

Hi Mom,

I'm submitting i485 for adjustment of status since my case is going to be current in August. I am here on f-1 visa student. My i-20 is going to be expired next month, i have submitted the renewal but my school said it's going to take a while, meaning it could be 2-4weeks or more. My question: If I submit my documents now, will that be a problem? I will bring the new i-20 at the interview. Do I need to notify them in the package?

Hi Mom and every one, I went my infopass today. The officer told me that I do not need to retake the medical wxam and they consider a year after submition if we submit that with I485
I think FOs just act different in any case

She told me they can not request to expedite my back ground check. I showed her the update Uscis that was about request to expefite for DV cases but she kept saying No
I am wondering if it is fine that I call myself to have a request?
Pleae let me know if you have any experience about that
Thanks

You may call the 1800 number and put in an expedite request if it makes you feel better. Just be aware your FO may turn down that request also.

The FOs typically use their discretion in expediting DV based AOS cases experiencing delays due to pending background checks towards the end of the FY, but at the same time, they try to exercise caution to ensure people with questionable backgrounds are not rushed through and approved when additional checks are still required.

Hi Mom,

AoS package arrived in Chicago this morning! I am now getting ready for my Medical Exam tomorrow. I tried to find comments that talked about the vaccination requirements and/or things to pay attention to and just wanted to confirm the following with you:

1) As stated on the spreadsheet, the only vaccination requirements are: TD/TDAP, MMR, Flu (not applicable now as we are not in flu season) + the TB skin test, correct (even though the I-693 lists more vaccinations)?
2) For the other ones that are listed, yet not required, the doctor will cross one of the three options for "Not Medically Appropriate" -- and not leave them blank?
3) Make sure to receive a copy.
4) Is there anything else that I need to make absolutely sure that the doctor fills out correctly (anything crucial)?

Thank you!

You sent in your AOS package without the medical report? Not a smart move IMO at this time of the year.

1. The civil surgeon will determine what you need to get, if you don’t already have proof of having received them. The list on the spreadsheet is meant as an example of the vaccines that’s typically required. Your CS has the final say.

2. An experienced CS knows not to leave none applicable sections blank.

3. No question here.

4. Again it’s not a matter of you making of what the doctor must fill out, an experienced CS already knows. You just need to make sure that:
  • You’re using the most current version of the I-693 form. I recommend you download this yourself and take it along to the medical appointment.
  • Accurately fill out the first 2 pages with your information (you should also take along blank copies just in case).
  • Confirm the form is signed and dated by both you and the CS at the end of your exam.
  • Form is sealed and signed or stamped across by the CS.
  • Get a copy for your records

Hi Mom,

I'm submitting i485 for adjustment of status since my case is going to be current in August. I am here on f-1 visa student. My i-20 is going to be expired next month, i have submitted the renewal but my school said it's going to take a while, meaning it could be 2-4weeks or more. My question: If I submit my documents now, will that be a problem? I will bring the new i-20 at the interview. Do I need to notify them in the package?

1. Not a problem.
2. No.

You sent in your AOS package without the medical report? Not a smart move IMO at this time of the year.

1. The civil surgeon will determine what you need to get, if you don’t already have proof of having received them. The list on the spreadsheet is meant as an example of the vaccines that’s typically required. Your CS has the final say.

2. An experienced CS knows not to leave none applicable sections blank.

3. No question here.

4. Again it’s not a matter of you making of what the doctor must fill out, an experienced CS already knows. You just need to make sure that:
  • You’re using the most current version of the I-693 form. I recommend you download this yourself and take it along to the medical appointment.
  • Accurately fill out the first 2 pages with your information (you should also take along blank copies just in case).
  • Confirm the form is signed and dated by both you and the CS at the end of your exam.
  • Form is sealed and signed or stamped across by the CS.
  • Get a copy for your records

Mom,

Thanks for your reply. This makes all sense.

Ugh.... I should have done the medical exam before and already sent it with the package. I hope this doesn't cause problems/delays.

1) What kind of problems could it cause to not have sent the I-693?
2) Once receiving the completed I-693 from the CS, should I send it somewhere (Lockbox?) or wait for the interview?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Mom,

Thanks for your reply. This makes all sense.

Ugh.... I should have done the medical exam before and already sent it with the package. I hope this doesn't cause problems/delays.

1) What kind of problems could it cause to not have sent the I-693?
2) Once receiving the completed I-693 from the CS, should I send it somewhere (Lockbox?) or wait for the interview?

Thank you!

You clearly had the AOS process spreadsheet to guide you, but clearly decided to do this your own way - yeah, that’s what over analyzing does!

1. The Chicago Lockbox could decide to treat you AOS package as incomplete and send it back - that would be a wrong call on their t end of course since submitting the AOS package without the medical form is allowed. It’s just not a smart option for a DV based AOS petition because the petition is time sensitive. Also if your FO was considering approving your petition without an interview, you’ve effectively shut that door since they can’t approve without the medical report. If they decide to issue an RFE for the medical report, that costs you more time.

2. You can’t send the medical report on it’s own without an RFE, they have no time to spend identifying and chasing down your AOS forms. You’ll either have to wait for an RFE or for when you go for your interview.

Thank you very much for answering my question. Is there anyway I can return you the favor? Are open for donation?

You’re welcome. I don’t accept donations for the guidance I proveide - thank you for the consideration though.

Just pay it forward, that’s good enough for me.

You clearly had the AOS process spreadsheet to guide you, but clearly decided to do this your own way - yeah, that’s what over analyzing does!

1. The Chicago Lockbox could decide to treat you AOS package as incomplete and send it back - that would be a wrong call on their t end of course since submitting the AOS package without the medical form is allowed. It’s just not a smart option for a DV based AOS petition because the petition is time sensitive. Also if your FO was considering approving your petition without an interview, you’ve effectively shut that door since they can’t approve without the medical report. If they decide to issue an RFE for the medical report, that costs you more time.

2. You can’t send the medical report on it’s own without an RFE, they have no time to spend identifying and chasing down your AOS forms. You’ll either have to wait for an RFE or for when you go for your interview.

Thanks Mom!

Yes. Over analyzing can have that effect... ugh.

Like you stated and as it clearly shows on the I-485 instructions, submission of the I-693 is not required at the time of submitting the I-485 and the Chicago Lockbox should not send an RFE. Should not.
But yes, it shuts the door for being approved without an interview, which in our case, as we got married post DV entry submission would most likely not matter as they would want to see us anyways (or so I would like to think now--staying optimistic~).

Again, Thanks for guiding us through the process!

You may call the 1800 number and put in an expedite request if it makes you feel better. Just be aware your FO may turn down that request also.

The FOs typically use their discretion in expediting DV based AOS cases experiencing delays due to pending background checks towards the end of the FY, but at the same time, they try to exercise caution to ensure people with questionable backgrounds are not rushed through and approved when additional checks are still required.
Thanks Mom, You meant that they can request to expedite FBI check if they want? or it something that we have to do?

Thanks Mom!

Yes. Over analyzing can have that effect... ugh.

Like you stated and as it clearly shows on the I-485 instructions, submission of the I-693 is not required at the time of submitting the I-485 and the Chicago Lockbox should not send an RFE. Should not.
But yes, it shuts the door for being approved without an interview, which in our case, as we got married post DV entry submission would most likely not matter as they would want to see us anyways (or so I would like to think now--staying optimistic~).

Again, Thanks for guiding us through the process!

You need to re-read my previous response. The Chicago Lockbox could decide the package was incomplete and reject it - package gets returned to you after a couple of weeks. The Chicago Lockbox DOES NOT send an RFE - you loose valuable time if this happens.

Your FO on the other hand (when the AOS petition eventually gets to them) could send an RFE in place of an interview letter - the FO can and do have the right to issue an RFE for missing documents. They may decide to not schedule an interview until the missing document has been received - again you loose valuable time at this stage.

By the way, it is not impossible for your case to have been approved without an interview even with the fact that you got married post selection. This is precisely why I emphasize sending in a fully front loaded and complete package regardless of what the USCIS form or website says. This is based on years experience guiding DV based AOS selectees.

Hello @Sm1smom,

First and foremost, I do appreciate the service that you and BritSimon are rendering to folks like myself. This is my first post here but I have interacted with Britsimon earlier last year after I received the dv2018 selection letter. This process has been quite long(over a year now) that I almost lost sight of my AOS obligations. I completed the DS260 in August of last year. On May 7, I got an email from KCC with subject "2018AF33xxx Diversity Visa Adjustment Letter" with an attached letter. I paid the dv fees on May 12. Got the receipt back two weeks later. Did the medical exam in mid-May. My CN is current in July. I'm on F1. I completed my bachelor last spring, now I'm working(on OPT) and my current job(contract) will be ending next month and I may be moving to another state. As I am preparing to file my i-485 I wanted to have your opinion on:
1. Whether relocating after filling i-485 affect my application, or the BIO and interview appointments? if yes, What would you suggest?
2. In my case what are the chances of having my petition approved without an interview? (just curious)

Thank you for your time!

Hello @Sm1smom,

First and foremost, I do appreciate the service that you and BritSimon are rendering to folks like myself. This is my first post here but I have interacted with Britsimon earlier last year after I received the dv2018 selection letter. This process has been quite long(over a year now) that I almost lost sight of my AOS obligations. I completed the DS260 in August of last year. On May 7, I got an email from KCC with subject "2018AF33xxx Diversity Visa Adjustment Letter" with an attached letter. I paid the dv fees on May 12. Got the receipt back two weeks later. Did the medical exam in mid-May. My CN is current in July. I'm on F1. I completed my bachelor last spring, now I'm working(on OPT) and my current job(contract) will be ending next month and I may be moving to another state. As I am preparing to file my i-485 I wanted to have your opinion on:
1. Whether relocating after filling i-485 affect my application, or the BIO and interview appointments? if yes, What would you suggest?
2. In my case what are the chances of having my petition approved without an interview? (just curious)

Thank you for your time!

1. Yes relocating after AOS filing will impact your petition.
  • There’s the risk of missing bio notice, interview letter or any other communication from USCIS.
  • Additional delay as current FO (in the old/previous State) transfers your case file to the new FO with jurisdiction over your petition (in the new State).
I’m sorry I can’t suggest what you should or shouldn’t do, I don’t know everything pertinent to you and your case. Best I can do is provide the necessary information to help you see the picture, you have to do the painting on your own.

2. I don’t know. A no interview decision is FO and IO based, and it’s on a case by case situation. Best you can do is front load your package by ensuring the necessary information that could aid an IO in adjudicating the petition without an interview are all there. Of course this doesn’t guarantee a no interview decision, and if an interview is required, a fully loaded petition enables the IO to do a proper review prior to the interview and increases the chance of being approved same day.

Hi,

I am filling form I 485 and saw a this instruction "type or print "N/A", unless otherwise directed. Do I have to type in each and every non-applicable field or just in the first field of each section that is not applicable to me.

For example: I do not have middle name, do I have to type "N/A" in middle name field?

3. Answer all questions fully and accurately. If a question does not apply to you (for example, if you have never been married and the question asks, “Provide the name of your current spouse”), type or print “N/A,” unless otherwise directed. If your answer to a question which requires a numeric response is zero or none (for example, “How many children do you have” or “How many times have you departed the United States”), type or print “None,” unless otherwise directed.

Thanks.

Hi,

I am filling form I 485 and saw a this instruction "type or print "N/A", unless otherwise directed. Do I have to type in each and every non-applicable field or just in the first field of each section that is not applicable to me.

For example: I do not have middle name, do I have to type "N/A" in middle name field?

3. Answer all questions fully and accurately. If a question does not apply to you (for example, if you have never been married and the question asks, “Provide the name of your current spouse”), type or print “N/A,” unless otherwise directed. If your answer to a question which requires a numeric response is zero or none (for example, “How many children do you have” or “How many times have you departed the United States”), type or print “None,” unless otherwise directed.

Thanks.

Leave the middle name section blank if you have no middle name. If you write N/A for middle name, an assumption would be made that is your middle and your GC will show up with N/A as middle name.

You’ll need to use your discretion to know when to use N/A, Known, or leave a selection blank.

1. Yes relocating after AOS filing will impact your petition.
  • There’s the risk of missing bio notice, interview letter or any other communication from USCIS.
  • Additional delay as current FO (in the old/previous State) transfers your case file to the new FO with jurisdiction over your petition (in the new State).
I’m sorry I can’t suggest what you should or shouldn’t do, I don’t know everything pertinent to you and your case. Best I can do is provide the necessary information to help you see the picture, you have to do the painting on your own.

2. I don’t know. A no interview decision is FO and IO based, and it’s on a case by case situation. Best you can do is front load your package by ensuring the necessary information that could aid an IO in adjudicating the petition without an interview are all there. Of course this doesn’t guarantee a no interview decision, and if an interview is required, a fully loaded petition enables the IO to do a proper review prior to the interview and increases the chance of being approved same day.
Thank you @Sm1smom