• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hello Sm1smom,

I had my interview two weeks ago and handed the two forms the IO requested at the end of the interview.

My FO does not accept infopasses. What do you recommend me to do to inquire about where my case is standing?

Thank you for your usual support

Hi Mom,

When the VB comes out next month, it will show the cut-offs for the months of July and August.
1) If my number becomes current in August (according to the VB), without early filing, when is the earliest that I can submit my I-485?
2) When is the earliest I can submit with early filing?

Thank you!

Hello Sm1smom,

I had my interview two weeks ago and handed the two forms the IO requested at the end of the interview.

My FO does not accept infopasses. What do you recommend me to do to inquire about where my case is standing?

Thank you for your usual support

Two weeks isn’t a long time to be stressing over at this point IMO. But I get the fact that you wish to complete the process and put it all behind you, so yes make an inquiry if you feel like.

Hi Mom,

When the VB comes out next month, it will show the cut-offs for the months of July and August.
1) If my number becomes current in August (according to the VB), without early filing, when is the earliest that I can submit my I-485?
2) When is the earliest I can submit with early filing?

Thank you!

1. AOS package gets received by the Chicago Lockbox no earlier that August 1st.
2. Two months in advance.

Two weeks isn’t a long time to be stressing over at this point IMO. But I get the fact that you wish to complete the process and put it all behind you, so yes make an inquiry if you feel like.
Thank you Sm1smom for your prompt response. Since my FO no longer accepts infopasses, how would you advice me to make the inquiry? Thank you again.

I have an InfoPass appointment for later this week, and wanted to get some advice about the specific questions I should ask. I've read the InfoPass page on BritSimon's website, and am planning to ask them what specifically needs to happen before the interview is scheduled. But any more specific advice would be helpful.

Here's a quick summary of my situation:
  • I had my biometrics appointment in early March, and 2.5 months later I have not yet received any interview letter
  • I have paid all of the applicable fees (DV and AOS), and have a receipt for the DV fee
  • I called the KCC today and asked if the FO had requested my file - they told me that the FO had not

Have you taken a look at the Timelines spreadsheets to get an idea of how long it takes your FO to schedule a DV based AOS intervie?

I just wanted to clarify as my question was slightly vague.

1) If my number will be below the rank cut-offs which will apply in August (the August number being published in the VB that comes out in June), can I submit my I-485 in June after the VB is published?
2) Would that be early filing?

EDIT:

My apologies, I found the answer on the "AOS Process" sheet.

Have you heard lately that FO decline early filing? How often does this tend to happen?

Last edited:
Have you taken a look at the Timelines spreadsheets to get an idea of how long it takes your FO to schedule a DV based AOS intervie?

Yes, apologies for not including this info in the previous post. Most people with the same FO in the spreadsheets have had the interview scheduled within 1-2 months of the biometrics appointment, which is why I am starting to get get a little concerned.

I just wanted to clarify as my question was slightly vague.

1) If my number will be below the rank cut-offs which will apply in August (the August number being published in the VB that comes out in June), can I submit my I-485 in June after the VB is published?
2) Would that be early filing?

EDIT:

My apologies, I found the answer on the "AOS Process" sheet.

Have you heard lately that FO decline early filing? How often does this tend to happen?

Yes a couple of DV2018 cases have either been rejected by the Chicago Lockbox or denied by the applicable FO for early filing.

Yes, apologies for not including this info in the previous post. Most people with the same FO in the spreadsheets have had the interview scheduled within 1-2 months of the biometrics appointment, which is why I am starting to get get a little concerned.

So what’s the name of your FO?

Hi Mom,

I spoke with USCIS and asked if I had an A-Number as read somewhere you could find it on the myuscis account, but I couldn't find it. Then I read that the EAD card number can be written as the A-number. USCIS said this wasn't the case. I seem to get mixed info when speaking to USCIS, so wanted to ask you. My question is, should I leave A-number as 'N/A' or is the EAD number valid as the A-number?

Thank you!

And they’re certain your COS petition will be approved before the AOS petition? Did you include form I-765 with your AOS package?

Anyway, nothing wrong in having the two petitions in the system at the same time in this case since H1B is a dual intent status - it allows immigrant intent.

There’s the possibility your AOS approval may be delayed though if the H1B petition is still pending. We’ve had reports of IOs telling some AOSers at the end of their interview he/she is unable to approve the AOS petition until they receive the file from the office that has jurisdiction over the other petition in the system.

Hi Mom,
My husband filed H1B this year and he was selected, but he hasn't receive I797, I only received I-797C receipt notice letter.
Q1 Would that be consider as H1B pending?
Q2 Will this affect us to get GC?(Our interview has been schedule on early June)
Thank you for your help!

Mom,

1) Is there no consistency to when early filing gets denied, especially by the Chicago Lockbox?? Just random?
2) If early filing gets denied, then the only penalty to me is that I lose the filing fee, correct? As stated on the spreadsheet, I can re submit on August 1st (I am expecting my CN to become current for August cut off rankings).

I live in Washington DC, so it's the Fairfax VA FO

Okay. So you want to find out if your background check has cleared, if your KCC file has been requested, if your AOS petition has been assigned to an IO. And finally, ask when are you likely to get scheduled or if you’re already scheduled and could pick up a copy of your letter.

It’s not unusual for a not too busy FO to provide an opportunity to be interviewed on the spot. So go in with the possibility of that happening - be prepared with all your documents when you go for the INFOPASS.

Hi Mom,

I spoke with USCIS and asked if I had an A-Number as read somewhere you could find it on the myuscis account, but I couldn't find it. Then I read that the EAD card number can be written as the A-number. USCIS said this wasn't the case. I seem to get mixed info when speaking to USCIS, so wanted to ask you. My question is, should I leave A-number as 'N/A' or is the EAD number valid as the A-number?

Thank you!

The USCIS # on your EAD card can be listed as your Alien # regardless of what the USCIS customer service rep told you on the phone. The first level reps answering the phone are not immigration officers, so their knowledge and response to questions asked are limited, especially if it’s not a question on the prepared scripts they been give.

Hi Mom,
My husband filed H1B this year and he was selected, but he hasn't receive I797, I only received I-797C receipt notice letter.
Q1 Would that be consider as H1B pending?
Q2 Will this affect us to get GC?(Our interview has been schedule on early June)
Thank you for your help!

1. Depends on which petition got filed earlier - the AOS or the H1B petition?

2. It shouldn’t.

Okay. So you want to find out if your background check has cleared, if your KCC file has been requested, if your AOS petition has been assigned to an IO. And finally, ask when are you likely to get scheduled or if you’re already scheduled and could pick up a copy of your letter.

It’s not unusual for a not too busy FO to provide an opportunity to be interviewed on the spot. So go in with the possibility of that happening - be prepared with all your documents when you go for the INFOPASS.

Thanks so much - this is super helpful!