TN Visa at US-Mexico Border from Dallas, TX

PP25

Hi,

I'm currently in Dallas, TX and am planning to apply for a TN Status. I'm a Canadian citizen. Which border will be nearest to me so that I can apply for TN there? Also, can someone provide me Steps of how to reach at this border and where to park and how to go about to reach the POE? I assume as a Canadian we can enter Mexico by foot and then come back to US for getting TN Status?

Is the NAFTA Category of Software Engineer still Computer System Analyst or it has changed?

Thanks much
PP25

Laredo TX. All the other stuff you are asking can be found by calling the POE yourself.
It depends on your job description, but if you are doing a job that would be classified as Engineering and not CSA, you need to be classified under TN as an Engineer, and to to be classified as an Engineer (software or otherwise), you need an engineering degree.
If you job is truly CSA, then CSA category could be sought, with any computer-related degree, or an engineering degree that is heavily weighted to computer science.
Btw, What status are you in right now? If you are denied TN, how do you plan to get back home?

Thanks Nelsona.

I'm on Td visa as my Husband is on Tn. If my TN is rejected I will be on TD.

Hope that should be OK?

Hi Nelsona,

We are confused on the following:

• As my wife got the Job, We now have a TN Letter for my wife which has starting date = 16th May, 2018 to 15th May, 2021 (i.e. 3 yrs). The Offer letter does mention the start date as 16th May, 2018.
  • My wife and son TD visa expire on May 13, 2018 (since I'm on TN). My TN is already extended via my Company for 2020.
  • My company has applied my wife & son TD Extension through USCIS, they have got the I-539 Receipt of Notice last week. I have a soft copy of it.
  • We plan to go for TN stamping for my wife on 7th May, 2018 (Monday)

Question -
a) Should I do first my wife and son TD extension at border OR Should my wife first go and get the TN? Because of the dates i'm not sure how all this will play out.
b) Are there any changes to date we should make in Offer letter/ TN letter / Our date of going for TD or TN at border?

Seeking your expert guidance in this, Appreciated as always your prompt response :)

Thanks
PP25

I wouldn't bother with wife's TD. They will process her TN that day and take a week off it at the end (reason why dates on letters are not needed.)She will enter on that status. Then apply for son's TD based on either of you.

When back in US, make sure to write to USCIS and formally cancel the pending I-539 for your wife, or she could get reverted back to TD, and have to fix it. Technically it is abandoned when she leaves US, but you want to be sure. You can do the same for your sone if you wish, but he would get TD anyway.

Thanks a ton Nelsona. Your answers make us stress free and more confident to approach for TN.

You are right about dates, we didn't had it in first place. However when we talked with officer at CBP office, they said we need dates in the tn letter. This is where all confusion started.

Based on your response I think we should be fine to go on 7th even though the start date on tn is 16th may.

You were absolutely right. My wife got the tn and it's as per the dates you said.

Thanks for the prompt responses. Much appreciated.