• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 All Selectees

Hi, yes visa was approved now!! it was really quick the status was on AP for only 2 days after interview then changed to issued, when it comes to US police certificates they can check it fairly fast.

Thanks a lot for the support, i can finally calm down now after a year of stressing out..., love you Mom, Pierre, Brit and SusieQQQ :)

I'm glad to know that all went well at the end. I hope all goes well with your move to the U.S.

Hi Brit.
We already give up our hopes for the DV2018 with EU375xx case id. Currently we are on E2 visa and renewing with USCIS every 2 years. We submitted DS260 but didn't pay any fees etc. Do you think just submitting DS260 will have a negative impact on out future E2 renewals?

It could be considered as a factor towards immigrant intent, but not usually fatal by itself.

Hi All,
Just trying to fill in my DS-260 form. Sorry if this question has been asked before.
1) The education part on the form should I include a previous university that I attended in a foreign country for 2 years. Though I never managed to complete the course due to unavoidable circumstances. On the part where it ask to fill in the places you have lived since the age of 16, I have included the country otherwise would have a 2 plus years gap on residence bit of the form.
2) I am currently enrolled in an online degree course offered in a foreign country much better on the wallet, though I still have a year or so to finish should I include the course on the education part... I am also running my own business as well.... Any one with a similar situation kindly respond....cheers!!!;)

Thanx in advance

Hi All,
Just trying to fill in my DS-260 form. Sorry if this question has been asked before.
1) The education part on the form should I include a previous university that I attended in a foreign country for 2 years. Though I never managed to complete the course due to unavoidable circumstances. On the part where it ask to fill in the places you have lived since the age of 16, I have included the country otherwise would have a 2 plus years gap on residence bit of the form.
2) I am currently enrolled in an online degree course offered in a foreign country much better on the wallet, though I still have a year or so to finish should I include the course on the education part... I am also running my own business as well.... Any one with a similar situation kindly respond....cheers!!!;)

Thanx in advance

1. Yes
2. Yes

Dear Brtisimons,
We have received today this email from our embassy:
"Unfortunately, we have to inform you that you are disqualified from the Diversity Visa Lottery Program due to your listing of incorrect Foreign State Chargeability.
You selected Switzerland as your Foreign State Chargeability instead of France, your country of birth.
Hence we recommend you not to continue processing and conduct the medical examination.
If you insist on attending your interview day and wish to receive an official refusal confirmation, you may do so. However, we will have to collect the fee of $330, which cannot be refunded."

Should we still attend the interview ?
Because it is the same region and we gained no advantages, shouldn't be it ok ? What is the risk ?
Sincerly.

This is what the FAM says.

Errors in Choice of Country of Chargeability: If the entrant chooses the wrong country of chargeability at the time of the initial entry, the error will generally be disqualifying. However, if a DV applicant chooses a country of chargeability on the DV entry form that is within the same geographic region (one of the six) as the correct country of chargeability, and you determine that the applicant gained no benefit from his or her error, and there are no fraud concerns, you may continue processing the application using the correct country of chargeability in IVO. Post may need to obtain additional DV number(s) for the correct country of chargeability from the Immigrant Visa Control and Reporting Division (CA/VO/DO/I), as necessary, via a VISAS FROG message (see 9 FAM 604.2-1).

https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050206.html

It instructs officers that they “may”, not that they “must”. If you are set on this and don’t mind risking the money, you could take a copy of the above and argue your case, but (and this is just my opinion) I don’t see that they are forced to do this. That said, I would think a reasonable officer would do it. I’m guessing your consulate doesn’t do an awful lot of DV interviews?

As an aside it’s interesting to see an embassy take the time to notify an applicant in advance that they expect to disqualify them and warn them of the consequences. Never heard of it before, normally people only find out when they arrive at the interview.

Oh as for risks - other than the obvious one of the money for medicals and interview, if you are refused a visa then you cannot use VWP for traveling to the US in future and would need to apply for a tourist visa.

Dear Susie,
Thank you for your answer, this is what I thought...
Yes indeed they are very nice to warn us. I guess it is because they only have around 6 interviews per year....
I have answered their email with the FAM rules already and I am hoping that they will answer positively.
I will any ways keep you updated.
Thank you for your help !!

This is what the FAM says.

Errors in Choice of Country of Chargeability: If the entrant chooses the wrong country of chargeability at the time of the initial entry, the error will generally be disqualifying. However, if a DV applicant chooses a country of chargeability on the DV entry form that is within the same geographic region (one of the six) as the correct country of chargeability, and you determine that the applicant gained no benefit from his or her error, and there are no fraud concerns, you may continue processing the application using the correct country of chargeability in IVO. Post may need to obtain additional DV number(s) for the correct country of chargeability from the Immigrant Visa Control and Reporting Division (CA/VO/DO/I), as necessary, via a VISAS FROG message (see 9 FAM 604.2-1).

https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050206.html

It instructs officers that they “may”, not that they “must”. If you are set on this and don’t mind risking the money, you could take a copy of the above and argue your case, but (and this is just my opinion) I don’t see that they are forced to do this. That said, I would think a reasonable officer would do it. I’m guessing your consulate doesn’t do an awful lot of DV interviews?

As an aside it’s interesting to see an embassy take the time to notify an applicant in advance that they expect to disqualify them and warn them of the consequences. Never heard of it before, normally people only find out when they arrive at the interview.

Dear Susie,
We got news from the embassy already !
"Dear xxxx,
The Embassy has verified this issue with Washingto.
We may continue processing your Diversity visa application.
Please come to your appointment as scheduled."

I guess this means that we won't have to argue our case on the day of our interview !
I must say that this process of warning the appliquant is much better, as they have time to review the rules before the interview, this removes a lot of stress to everyone!

Anyways, thank you for your help!!!!

Dear Susie,
"Dear xxxx,

I guess this means that we won't have to argue our case on the day of our interview !
I must say that this process of warning the appliquant is much better, as they have time to review the rules before the interview, this removes a lot of stress to everyone!

Great! And so quick! Lucky you landing with an embassy like this :)

Dear Susie,
"Dear xxxx,

You won't have to "argue" your case - their email means they checked with Washington who pointed out the rule that Susie gave you. Glad you had the sense and opportunity to email them. As you say - nice of them to warn you, but it would not have happened at busier embassies.

1. Our case should be current in the next bulletin and I was wondering when/if we should update our ds260 for latest travel? I travel a fair bit internationally for work (currently living in the US), my ds260 was submitted in dec, so a few months behind.

2. If I travel after the case has been transferred to the embassy do I have to contact them directly, or will it be OK if it doesn't have the absolute latest travel history.

Cheers

1. Our case should be current in the next bulletin and I was wondering when/if we should update our ds260 for latest travel? I travel a fair bit internationally for work (currently living in the US), my ds260 was submitted in dec, so a few months behind.

2. If I travel after the case has been transferred to the embassy do I have to contact them directly, or will it be OK if it doesn't have the absolute latest travel history.

Cheers

Doesn’t really matter, the only instance I’d think you really need to update it is if you’re traveling somewhere that is a security concern for the US. Otherwise just mention at the interview that you’ve traveled more since submitting the DS.

You won't have to "argue" your case - their email means they checked with Washington who pointed out the rule that Susie gave you. Glad you had the sense and opportunity to email them. As you say - nice of them to warn you, but it would not have happened at busier embassies.
Dear @Britsimon and @SusieQQQ our green cards were approved.
I would like to thank you for all your help and support ! This would not have happened without you two !
Keep up the great work on informing the DV applicants.

Doesn’t really matter, the only instance I’d think you really need to update it is if you’re traveling somewhere that is a security concern for the US. Otherwise just mention at the interview that you’ve traveled more since submitting the DS.

Thanks Susie! Makes sense, the travel is to Nigeria a bit for work so is high risk, but my current history i submitted already has many historical trips so would be no surprise (travel there 6 or more times a year for 3 years)

Hi Mom, do we need an english translation of our birth certificate?
Hi Mom, to be more specific:
I have the inteview at the US embassy in France and my birth certificate is in French. Do I need to bring an english translation of it?
Plus, for the police certificate, do i need to bring a copy of every country I have lived in?

Thank you :)