Adding a spouse to my asylum application?

Mond

Hello,

I got married to a non US citizen who is physically in the US and would like to add her to my application. My asylum case is currently pending. Can I update my I-589 by just adding my spouse's information and then mailing it to USCIS or is there something else I should do?

Thanks

There is a risk to your spouse. But before I get into that, I think (research more to confirm) all you need to do is write a letter directly to the Asylum Office handling your case (not the USCIS service center). In the letter, let them know that you wish to add your spouse and include her or his ID info. Also include your marriage certificate if you have one. As long as you inform the Asylum office about your marriage /spouse before a decision, you should be safe. If you win, you both get Asylee status.
The risk is if you lose, both you and your spouse will be referred to court and possibly put into removal proceedings.

If you didn't get the interview i guess you should, because at the interview they are asking if you want to add more info on that form like kids or spouse and if something changed since the day you first applied.
Butt better consult couple attorneys, not just 1, if they all say is safe then go for it. Plus if your spouse have been in any type of other cases before or have something criminal on the background your'e taking the risk of getting denied because of it.
As i heard, if the main applicant is clean and the other one not they can deny your case because of your'e spouse.
Good Luck.