• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

I see in the timeline tab, most have a walk in date much earlier than the scheduled date. So was it always allowed?
It's not forbidden. Although some ASC frown upon it and they may turn you down. It makes sense when it's justified, e.g. your ASC is far away and you happen to have a business travel in location close by a week before a scheduled appointment.
The real question should be: what are you trying to achieve by going earlier? I assume that most people that do that are thinking that it's going to magically speed up the whole process.
If you're meticulously analyzing AOS timelines looking for clues what to do, I'd recommend paying close attention to the column named "Interview Date - Bio Date". You can check if going earlier gains you anything...

How long are documents valid like certified legalizations of high diploma, birth certificate, translations, etc for AOS? i want to make sure they won't tell me they are already old.
Do you expect that any information on your birth certificate will change over time? Same applies for its certified English translation...

Hello,
I am processing AOS in the US, and I have already completed the biometric appointment about a month ago.
I live in Seattle. I got married a couple of weeks ago to my longtime girlfriend who lives in Vancouver. And today I read online that she can submit a follow to join application and get a green card without having to go through the regular spouse sponsorship process. Based on the timeline info I have reviewed, it looks like I will get my GC by June. Would that be enough time to start her follow to join application in Vancouver, or is the time too close to September? We'd be wasting filing fee if it gets rejected because they couldn't process it before end of the FY. Can you please help me think? Should I just try to bring her through the normal spouse sponsorship process? Thanks for your time.

Hello,
I am processing AOS in the US, and I have already completed the biometric appointment about a month ago.
I live in Seattle. I got married a couple of weeks ago to my longtime girlfriend who lives in Vancouver. And today I read online that she can submit a follow to join application and get a green card without having to go through the regular spouse sponsorship process. Based on the timeline info I have reviewed, it looks like I will get my GC by June. Would that be enough time to start her follow to join application in Vancouver, or is the time too close to September? We'd be wasting filing fee if it gets rejected because they couldn't process it before end of the FY. Can you please help me think? Should I just try to bring her through the normal spouse sponsorship process? Thanks for your time.

If you’re approved by June, there is enough time for your spouse to complete FTJ, that shouldn’t be a problem. The important thing is for you both to understand the process though.

First of all, there’s no such thing as wasting filing fee since the only payment your spouse will be making is the $330 DV payment which gets paid at the embassy on the day of the interview. If there’s no interview scheduled for FTJ, no payment is made.

Did you submit the DS-260 for yourself? In order for her to benefit from your DV selection as a FTJ, you need to get your DS260 form unlocked, change your marital status from single to married, and list your spouse as FTJ, then create a separate DS260 form for your spouse. You’ll need to contact KCC of course in order to do this. However, if KCC already forwarded your case file to your FO, it may no longer be possible to add your spouse, you’ll need to discuss with them what your options are for her to be treated as a derivative.

If you succeed in adding your wife as FTJ before your interview gets scheduled, you’ll need to let the IO that interviews you know your spouse is processing FTJ and that your case file, upon you GC approval, needs to get forwarded to the Montreal embassy which is where the IV (not Vancouver) will get processed. The Montreal embassy will schedule your wife for her interview and communicate the date to her.

I didn't submit the DS-260, but I emailed KCC letting them know that I am doing AOS. After a couple of weeks, they sent me an email with a "Diversity Visa Adjustment letter" basically telling me that I need to pay the DV-fee before I do AOS and gave me links so that I can check if I can qualify for AOS. So I didn't go back to the DS-260 form after that. Do I still need to talk to them and submit my DS-260 after adding my spouse?
What I meant by filing fees was for the form i-864. I thought I had to submit that so that the Montreal embassy starts her process.
Thanks for the help.

I didn't submit the DS-260, but I emailed KCC letting them know that I am doing AOS. After a couple of weeks, they sent me an email with a "Diversity Visa Adjustment letter" basically telling me that I need to pay the DV-fee before I do AOS and gave me links so that I can check if I can qualify for AOS. So I didn't go back to the DS-260 form after that. Do I still need to talk to them and submit my DS-260 after adding my spouse?
What I meant by filing fees was for the form i-864. I thought I had to submit that so that the Montreal embassy starts her process.
Thanks for the help.

This is a classic example of why we encourage AOSers to submit the DS260 form, you just may have caused yourself a the opportunity of getting your an IV for your wife quickly, cheaply, and in a less stressful manner. Your wife cannot get an IV as a DV derivative without a DS260 form, so you need to discuss this with KCC.

There’s no I-864 involved with getting an IV as a spouse, that is only applicable if you’re doing a family sponsorship. And with F2A family sponsorship, you actually start by filing an I-130 before it even gets to the stage of an I-864 which is way down the process. And for FTJ, your wife’s process does not start until after you’ve been approved.

Sorry I meant I-824* not 64. Would I have to pay for that?

There’s no payment for an I-824 for a DV based FTJ and you can’t submit it while your own petition is pending. You need to be approved first. As a matter of fact, majority (if not all) of the DV cases I know of did not submit an I-824, they submitted the DS-260 and had their spouse listed as FTJ, their FO forwarded their case file, upon their approval, to the applicable US with jurisdiction over the spouse’ home country.

There’s no payment for an I-824 for a DV based FTJ and you can’t submit it while your own petition is pending. You need to be approved first. As a matter of fact, majority (if not all) of the DV cases I know of did not submit an I-824, they submitted the DS-260 and had their spouse listed as FTJ, their FO forwarded their case file, upon their approval, to the applicable US with jurisdiction over the spouse’ home country.
Thanks!

Dear Mom , I am on F1 OPT status ( Started opt in january) .
1. My offer letter states i will be making 46 k an year...can i just attach my pay stubs and employment letter as financial evidence. Do i still need an i134?
2. The spreadsheet states its mandatory to include the dv payment reciept with the package, i have not recieved my receipt yet, can i email KCC to email me a copy?

Dear Mom , I am on F1 OPT status ( Started opt in january) .
1. My offer letter states i will be making 46 k an year...can i just attach my pay stubs and employment letter as financial evidence. Do i still need an i134?
2. The spreadsheet states its mandatory to include the dv payment reciept with the package, i have not recieved my receipt yet, can i email KCC to email me a copy?

1. Yes. Probably not.
2. No, the spreadsheet doesn’t say anything is mandatory, it however has recommendations for what should be included in the AOS package. Yes, you may email KCC.

I sent the diversity fee to the St. Louis PO Box, with a tracking number. I saw it was delivered yesterday (Sunday) and it says "delivered to an agent". Does that make sense? Do agents receive it at a PO Box on Sundays?

I sent the diversity fee to the St. Louis PO Box, with a tracking number. I saw it was delivered yesterday (Sunday) and it says "delivered to an agent". Does that make sense? Do agents receive it at a PO Box on Sundays?

No it doesn’t make sense, since they don’t work on weekends and it really doesn’t matter what the delivery report says.

However, I would like to make a suggestion, stop worrying over every little none consequential stuff. The entire process could be stressful as it is, don’t create more stress for yourself. If you used the correct address as listed on the form, then your payment got delivered as it should, that’s all that matters. You could have been proactive and made the payment about a month ago, when the previous VB came out - that VB should have given you an indication of your CN becoming current soon enough, you didn’t and now you’re stressing over every little detail. Just settle down and go over the AOS process spreadsheet - become familiar with the process.

Hi everyone, we had our interviews all done earlier today and approved, the officer said the GC should be in the mail in about 10 B.days, when would you see update on the case status online? and was I suppose to get any letters or confirmation before leaving the FO?
thanks sm1 smom for the great advice you provide on this forum

actually today the officer said I have to file I 824 for my husband and send online payment, did not get a chance yet to look it up, but he did mention to fill in I 824

Hi everyone, we had our interviews all done earlier today and approved, the officer said the GC should be in the mail in about 10 B.days, when would you see update on the case status online? and was I suppose to get any letters or confirmation before leaving the FO?
thanks sm1 smom for the great advice you provide on this forum
check my post
https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2018-aos-only.336256/page-106#post-2471726
I didn't receive anything at FO after the interview. Notice of approval was sent later from NVC

I signed on my.uscis.gov based on your post hoping I can see a difference compared to the old site, but nothing, when were you able to see update on the my.uscis.gov, same day or afterwards?
I signed afterwards, but status was changed to CPO on the same day of the interview. I think you should wait at least 2-3 days.

actually today the officer said I have to file I 824 for my husband and send online payment, did not get a chance yet to look it up, but he did mention to fill in I 824

I don’t know why your IO asked you to go submit and pay for an I-824. Like I stated in the posted you quoted, I don’t know of any DV AOSer that paid for the FTJ part, their FOs just forwarded their case file to the applicable embassy. I do remember a specific AOS case, as a matter of fact, that got interviewed and approved a couple of days before Sept. 30th. The FO did a rush job of sending the case file and the spouse also got interviewed and approved on Sept. 30th. There’s no way they could have gotten through if they had to file an I-824.

Hi Mom

They told me I will get the GC in a month during my IV on 03/09
No change the Status yet ,Still says fingerprints received

I am from country where travel ban applies

Do you think it’s because of that ?
Stressful waiting

Thanks