Divorce

sunny1971

Registered Users (C)
Hi me and my spouse have been married 12 years .. 2006 . We both are Indians and married in India. Have a 10 yr old son. She applied for EB2 NIW GC for both and we got it in 2014 valid till 2024. Things have never been right between us and I’m thinking about divorce. I have no clue how to proceed on it and whenever it can be filed here in the US. Need some advice and are there any repercussions for my GC status or citizenship! Any advice will be appreciated .

Hi me and my spouse have been married 12 years .. 2006 . We both are Indians and married in India. Have a 10 yr old son. She applied for EB2 NIW GC for both and we got it in 2014 valid till 2024. Things have never been right between us and I’m thinking about divorce. I have no clue how to proceed on it and whenever it can be filed here in the US. Need some advice and are there any repercussions for my GC status or citizenship! Any advice will be appreciated .

To add: that we have been in the US 12 years now

You guys are both permanent residents. Your statuses are not dependent on each other. Divorce won't affect it.

You guys are both permanent residents. Your statuses are not dependent on each other. Divorce won't affect it.
Thank you newacct. So can I file for divorce in the US? And since the spouse will never agree to it what are the possibilities in getting it?

Thank you newacct. So can I file for divorce in the US? And since the spouse will never agree to it what are the possibilities in getting it?
You can file divorce in a state if you are domiciled there. Either party can always initiate a divorce. Divorce is a matter of family law which is different for each state; contact a local divorce lawyer for details.