• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 OC Selectees

Hey guys! I had my interview in Auckland on Tuesday so I thought I'd let you know how it went. My biggest concern was putting together all my criminal records and the translations, but it turns out I should have been more worried about finding my high school certificate (I accidentally sent up a color copy and finally found the originals the day before my interview). Also just letting you know that the consulate deletes the NZ criminal records after three months so they couldn't find mine on file as I jumped the gun and did it too early so I had to get it sent through again.

The actual interview itself was pretty easy. I flew up from Christchurch and had my interview at 10.30 there were a few other DV winners in there, but they were running behind as the Camp America kids had all been in that morning. I gave my oath, was asked a few questions about why I wanted to go to the states and my work/travel, and then I heard those magic words "your application has been approved, we'll send out your visa within two weeks." I had explained to the consulate that I'm hoping to book flights back to Budapest ASAP and my passport arrived back to me this morning, less than 48 hours after my interview.

It used to be a problem but a subtle change in the wording means it shouldn’t be anymore.

How much longer do you need to finish your degree? Is it another undergraduate degree or is it postgrad?

I’m assuming you don’t meet the work experience equivalence as you haven’t mentioned that?

Thanks for your reply, Susie. When you say a subtle change in the wording, what do you mean?

The first degree is a Graduate Diploma, and I'm doing a Bachelors in a different field. Had an equivalency evaluation done by ECE for the Graduate Diploma and they said it was equal to a 3-year Bachelors degree in the US.

Need at least until end of 2019 to finish the current degree, possibly mid 2020. So with a June 2018 interview, activation trip before 6 months elapses (end of 2018), then 12 months to make the final move (end of 2019), it's cutting it close. If the degree takes longer, and assuming there are no extensions to the 12 months, I'm considering moving end of 2019, coming back for the final semester to graduate, then returning to the US.

As for work experience equivalence, I've been a full-time student the past year, a freelance contractor before that, so it's unlikely I'd meet the criteria.

Thanks for your reply, Susie. When you say a subtle change in the wording, what do you mean?

The first degree is a Graduate Diploma, and I'm doing a Bachelors in a different field. Had an equivalency evaluation done by ECE for the Graduate Diploma and they said it was equal to a 3-year Bachelors degree in the US.

Need at least until end of 2019 to finish the current degree, possibly mid 2020. So with a June 2018 interview, activation trip before 6 months elapses (end of 2018), then 12 months to make the final move (end of 2019), it's cutting it close. If the degree takes longer, and assuming there are no extensions to the 12 months, I'm considering moving end of 2019, coming back for the final semester to graduate, then returning to the US.

As for work experience equivalence, I've been a full-time student the past year, a freelance contractor before that, so it's unlikely I'd meet the criteria.

It used to say “high school” now it says something like “at least” high school. The former could be and often was interpreted to mean you had to have a formal high school diploma, regardless of what you had after.

To be honest, I’m a bit worried by your description of your degrees. However I’m not that familiar with the Australian system, so feel free to correct me if I have misinterpreted anything here.
First: There is no such thing as a 3-year bachelors degree in the US. There is a 2-year associate degree, and a 4-year bachelor. Usually (the UK is an exception if one does a 3-year degree with honors) countries that have 3-year degree need a 4th year (often called an honors year, I think Australia works like this too?) for their degrees to be equivalent to a US bachelors. It doesn’t necessarily matter when you’re looking for work but it will matter if you’re interested in graduate school, and it could matter if you are trying to use an alternative qualification for DV.

Then on to your existing qualification: I’m not sure of the structure of your graduate diploma, but there are two main different types I’m aware of - one is a postgraduate diploma done after a bachelors degree, which is normally a qualification seen as not exactly a degree (it’s usually less than an honors year for those countries that have it, or it is a “half a masters”, usually the coursework without the dissertation). But that’s obviously not what you did if it was your first degree. The other is the type that the University of London offers via distance learning, which is usually a number of credits of undergraduate work and again is not quite a degree. Again, I’m not that familiar with the Australian system, so maybe you can give more information about exactly what your graduate diploma entailed? Mainly, why it is called a “graduate diploma” rather than a bachelors degree?

It used to say “high school” now it says something like “at least” high school. The former could be and often was interpreted to mean you had to have a formal high school diploma, regardless of what you had after.

To be honest, I’m a bit worried by your description of your degrees. However I’m not that familiar with the Australian system, so feel free to correct me if I have misinterpreted anything here.
First: There is no such thing as a 3-year bachelors degree in the US. There is a 2-year associate degree, and a 4-year bachelor. Usually (the UK is an exception if one does a 3-year degree with honors) countries that have 3-year degree need a 4th year (often called an honors year, I think Australia works like this too?) for their degrees to be equivalent to a US bachelors. It doesn’t necessarily matter when you’re looking for work but it will matter if you’re interested in graduate school, and it could matter if you are trying to use an alternative qualification for DV.

Then on to your existing qualification: I’m not sure of the structure of your graduate diploma, but there are two main different types I’m aware of - one is a postgraduate diploma done after a bachelors degree, which is normally a qualification seen as not exactly a degree (it’s usually less than an honors year for those countries that have it, or it is a “half a masters”, usually the coursework without the dissertation). But that’s obviously not what you did if it was your first degree. The other is the type that the University of London offers via distance learning, which is usually a number of credits of undergraduate work and again is not quite a degree. Again, I’m not that familiar with the Australian system, so maybe you can give more information about exactly what your graduate diploma entailed? Mainly, why it is called a “graduate diploma” rather than a bachelors degree?

Apologies for the confusion, I should have written "equal to a 4-year Bachelors degree in the US".

In Australia it's the first of two you describe, the equivalent here of an honors degree, or half a masters (If I went back for another year, I'd have a Masters degree in that field). It was a highly selective program (ten places from thousands of applicants) at the top school in the country, and admission is merit/talent based (had to submit a portfolio of work, cv, personal statements, answer interview questions).

The evaluation report from ECE says:

"U.S. Equivalence: Bachelor of Fine Arts degree with a major in xyz"

"Admission to this program required completion of the United States equivalent of three years of undergraduate work."

"It is the judgement of Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. that xyz has the United States equivalent of: Bachelor of Fine Arts degree with a major in xyz."

So in Australia it's a graduate diploma/half a masters, because undergrad here is 3 years, and in the US, because undergrad is 4 years, it's considered equivalent to a bachelors.

Apologies for the confusion, I should have written "equal to a 4-year Bachelors degree in the US".

In Australia it's the first of two you describe, the equivalent here of an honors degree, or half a masters (If I went back for another year, I'd have a Masters degree in that field). It was a highly selective program (ten places from thousands of applicants) at the top school in the country, and admission is merit/talent based (had to submit a portfolio of work, cv, personal statements, answer interview questions).

The evaluation report from ECE says:

"U.S. Equivalence: Bachelor of Fine Arts degree with a major in xyz"

"Admission to this program required completion of the United States equivalent of three years of undergraduate work."

"It is the judgement of Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. that xyz has the United States equivalent of: Bachelor of Fine Arts degree with a major in xyz."

So in Australia it's a graduate diploma/half a masters, because undergrad here is 3 years, and in the US, because undergrad is 4 years, it's considered equivalent to a bachelors.
Ah, so you first did a 3-year bachelors, and then a graduate diploma? Ok, I see.

Good evening/morning everyone,

First time poster here. Although I have lurked in shadows and read your words of wisdom for many a month. :)

Our family of five were fortunate enough to be selected in 2018. We have since received our 2NLs and had our interviews in Sydney, Australia late last year.

We're planning to fly from Melbourne to Hawaii this May to activate our Visas, with a view to making a permanent move to the East Coast (New Jersey or New York) in October/November.

I just wanted to post that our experience with the Sydney office was fantastic. We had to postpone our interviews for personal reasons and they were very accomodating. We didn't have to go back through the Kentucky Consular Center, although I do believe that this may have been because our amended appointment time was within the same month as our original Kentucky scheduled slot.

Anyway, happy immigrating everyone! I hope it all goes well for you all.

Cheers

First time poster here. Although I have lurked in shadows and read your words of wisdom for many a month. :)

Our family of five were fortunate enough to be selected in 2018. We have since received our 2NLs and had our interviews in Sydney, Australia late last year.

We're planning to fly from Melbourne to Hawaii this May to activate our Visas, with a view to making a permanent move to the East Coast (New Jersey or New York) in October/November.

I just wanted to post that our experience with the Sydney office was fantastic. We had to postpone our interviews for personal reasons and they were very accomodating. We didn't have to go back through the Kentucky Consular Center, although I do believe that this may have been because our amended appointment time was within the same month as our original Kentucky scheduled slot.

Cheers

Congratulations.

Quick note though, once KCC schedules the interview, interview date change request, regardless of if the request is for a different date within the same month or several months down the road, the request can only be made through the applicable embassy. KCC no longer has anything to do with the case once the interview is scheduled.

So we are at 1025 for May interviews. This time last year OC went current for May. What is the difference and does OC1500 range look like it will get interviews?

So we are at 1025 for May interviews. This time last year OC went current for May. What is the difference and does OC1500 range look like it will get interviews?

OC1500+ is risky and that has always been clear. The difference is they overselected this year.

what do you guys reckon of OC146* case number for this fiscal yr. appreciate any help or suggestion coz i guess people tire away of playing this waiting game.

Cheers
I agree, they were easier to deal with than a lot of Australian Local, State, or Federal organisations I've dealt with in the past!.

I have my medical on Monday: this is getting real! My interview follows a week later, so you can understand I'm a little nervous!

Is there anything about the medical I should be concerned about? I'd grade my fitness as average, I've never succumbed to any serious illness or injury, don't smoke, don't drink heavily, drug free, good eyesight, low cholesterol levels, etc. The last thing I need is a curve ball! Reviewing this topic on many sites has revealed that the Medical isn't as bad as it sounds, unless your carrying something that could wipe out a small town...

I applied to get my inoculation history from Department of Defence a few months ago, but am yet to receive it. Has anyone had experience with getting inoculations based on Green Card medical blood tests? Shall I do it at the same practice (Travel Doctor rates), or just see my local GP for a cheaper rate?

Cheers, I might bump into a few of you at the interview in a few weeks...

You will need to get any of the shots missing from your records and do it there given your time frame. Be sure you understand all the implications of the shots as I got them the day before the interview and felt unwell for the day.

You will need to get any of the shots missing from your records and do it there given your time frame. Be sure you understand all the implications of the shots as I got them the day before the interview and felt unwell for the day.

I contacted the nurse at the Medical Centre and she said they will be able to determine from the blood test that they conduct which inoculations I will need.

I’m at a chemist at the moment getting my passport photos: luckily I read the instructions again and didn’t turn up without them...

Hi Everyone, My case number is OC09XX, which is a number that goes current in May of this year. I'm yet to receive my 2nl, but should I get my police report and book my medical now (and anything else? I'm not remembering)? Thanks a lot.

I've also received my Amex card recently so that I can start building my credit once I'm over there from day 1.

Hi Everyone, My case number is OC09XX, which is a number that goes current in May of this year. I'm yet to receive my 2nl, but should I get my police report and book my medical now (and anything else? I'm not remembering)? Thanks a lot.

I've also received my Amex card recently so that I can start building my credit once I'm over there from day 1.

If you've lived overseas for more than 12 months then I'd be getting a criminal history check from that country ASAP. There's no harm in getting your AFP National Police Check now: it will be valid well past May.

Go to your GP and organise a blood test that will be able to determine what inoculations you've received over your life: it could save you some money and time as the date of your medical approaches.

Take care and good luck!

There's no harm in getting your AFP National Police Check now: it will be valid well past May.

Thanks Dames, I searched the 2017 OC thread to find out if I need the fingerprint or just name check (code 33), and the consensus was that just the name check was fine. Can anyone confirm if the name check is still fine?

Thanks

Name check is fine so long as it has all known names. I've had three name changes in my life (I'm on my way to becoming Alexis Morrell Carrington Colby Dexter Rowan from Dynasty) and I listed all three known names.

Some have had luck with Code 35 but Code 35 only includes unspent offences whereas they want spent and unspent. It doesn't cost anymore to get the Code 33 so I'd always get that one because it includes everything.

P.S. Traffic infringements where you didn't have to do to court or where there wasn't an arrest involved do not show up on the police checks, just in case anyone is wondering.

Name check is fine so long as it has all known names. I've had three name changes in my life (I'm on my way to becoming Alexis Morrell Carrington Colby Dexter Rowan from Dynasty) and I listed all three known names.

Thanks EmilyW, I'll get the regular name check one.

I've obtained a copy of the Syndey consulate's checklist. There are two part I'm pretty sure I don't need to worry about but I'd like to double check just in case. The "Employment Records / O*Net Qualifications" line isn't relevant for those qualifying using their HSC is it? I shouldn't need a CV or proof of employment from the last few years?

The "Australian Citizenship Certificate / Name Change Certificate" line, do I need an Australian Citizenship Certifacte? I don't think I have one of these, I'm an Australian citizen but I just have my passport and birth certificate. Australian Citizenship Certificate seems like something an immigrant to Australia would receive, rather than Australians who are born and raised here.