• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hi Mom,

I am preparing my AOS package these days since my case number will be current in March. However, I just noticed that I forgot to add the employment info of my recent internship to DS-260 form before final submission. I was wondering if it is necessary to contact KCC and ask them to unlock my DS-260 to update my employment info? Please advise. Thanks a lot!

Not a big. Just make sure your I-485 is accurate.

Not a big. Just make sure your I-485 is accurate.

Thank you so much for your response. I have another question regarding the "Employment History" part of I-485 form. I was working as a Research/Teaching Assistant during the last 5 years of my Ph.D. However, there are total of 3 months that I did not have any RA/TA scholarship during this period. I was wondering if I need to report those unemployment periods in my I-485 form as well. Thanks again for your help!

Thank you so much for your response. I have another question regarding the "Employment History" part of I-485 form. I was working as a Research/Teaching Assistant during the last 5 years of my Ph.D. However, there are total of 3 months that I did not have any RA/TA scholarship during this period. I was wondering if I need to report those unemployment periods in my I-485 form as well. Thanks again for your help!

Just use your best judgment on this please.

Hi Mom,
we are preparing our AOS package assuming we will be current in May. Today when we try to submit DS 260, we encountered a problem at the last minute.

When we try to sign and submit, it kept saying our DV case number is not matching with the one we used to sign in to the system. We were managed to sign and fill every thing and print/review, it went through fine. But we can't sign and submit at the end due to this error message. Did any one have this problem? He is the prime applicant, so I didn't try to sign and submit mine yet. We were using the full case number as 2018AS00005**** to sign in and submit.

My spouse recently renewed his passport and used that new passport number when filling with DS 260. Does that cause this error? I called KCC a month ago, they said we dont want to update his new passport info, so we didnt do any thing.
Thank you for your help and time.

Last edited:
Hi Mom,
we are preparing our AOS package assuming we will be current in May. Today when we try to submit DS 260, we encountered a problem at the last minute.

When we try to sign and submit, it kept saying our DV case number is not matching with the one we used to sign in to the system. We were managed to sign and fill every thing and print/review, it went through fine. But we can't sign and submit at the end due to this error message. Did any one have this problem? He is the prime applicant, so I didn't try to sign and submit mine yet. We were using the full case number as 2018AS00005**** to sign in and submit.

My spouse recently renewed his passport and used that new passport number when filling with DS 260. Does that cause this error? I called KCC a month ago, they said we dont want to update his new passport info, so we didnt do any thing.
Thank you for your help and time.
Remove the zeroes off the case number . It should work

Hey guys,

Anyone else filing/filed AOS that has previously been in the military in any capacity?
Is it a good idea to include a copy of my service record as part of the AOS Package, even though it is not specifically asked for?
Having answered yes to a couple of questions regarding weapons and military training I suspect it will be brought up, but would anyone recommend waiting until the interview?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Anyone else filing/filed AOS that has previously been in the military in any capacity?
Is it a good idea to include a copy of my service record as part of the AOS Package, even though it is not specifically asked for?
Having answered yes to a couple of questions regarding weapons and military training I suspect it will be brought up, but would anyone recommend waiting until the interview?

Thanks!

I suggest taking the military records, especially your discharged certificate, to the interview and present only if asked.

Hi mom and everyone,
1. When I moved to the US I transferred my pension/savings to my already existing US bank account. The account balance is good by most standards (exceeds the poverty line ratio required). For emergency purposes, all my bank accounts have a co-owner. My pension is in an account where my US Citizen brother is a joint owner, with full authority. My brother is also my I134 sponsor. I am taking the bank statement to the interview, in case needed. Does it matter (in terms of weight) that the account is jointly owned with my brother or my wife, or solely owned?
2. In case we went for CP and were denied the IV for some reason, including AP. Is it unlawful to come back to the US with the F/OPT-visas or is it just that re-entry is not guaranteed /depends on the discretion of the Airport IO?
3. In case re-entry with the F-visa is not an option, would our (not expired) B2 visa allow us to re-enter the US after a IV denial?
Thanks in advance.

Hi mom and everyone,
1. When I moved to the US I transferred my pension/savings to my already existing US bank account. The account balance is good by most standards (exceeds the poverty line ratio required). For emergency purposes, all my bank accounts have a co-owner. My pension is in an account where my US Citizen brother is a joint owner, with full authority. My brother is also my I134 sponsor. I am taking the bank statement to the interview, in case needed. Does it matter (in terms of weight) that the account is jointly owned with my brother or my wife, or solely owned?
2. In case we went for CP and were denied the IV for some reason, including AP. Is it unlawful to come back to the US with the F/OPT-visas or is it just that re-entry is not guaranteed /depends on the discretion of the Airport IO?
3. In case re-entry with the F-visa is not an option, would our (not expired) B2 visa allow us to re-enter the US after a IV denial?
Thanks in advance.

1. Does not matter.

2. If you’re put on AP, you cannot return until the AP clears - you will already be flagged in the system and wouldn’t be allowed. Trying to return on a NIV following a denied IV petition abroad is not unlawful, but re-admission will be hard IMO. When you are admitted into the US on a NIV, the assumption is you do not have an immigrant intent, that will no longer be the case for you. You will have a tough time convincing CBP agents you intend to return to your home country at the end of your granted stay in the US.

3. Same as 2 above.

1. Does not matter.

2. If you’re put on AP, you cannot return until the AP clears - you will already be flagged in the system and wouldn’t be allowed. Trying to return on a NIV following a denied IV petition abroad is not unlawful, but re-admission will be hard IMO. When you are admitted into the US on a NIV, the assumption is you do not have an immigrant intent, that will no longer be the case for you. You will have a tough time convincing CBP agents you intend to return to your home country at the end of your granted stay in the US.

3. Same as 2 above.
Dear mom, Thanks!

I would like to ask you please , I am F 1 visa and I am staying legally and I won DV 2018. For example in case if I get denied After the interview do I have to go back to my county ? Or I can stay here till I complete my study ? Thank you.

I would like to ask you please , I am F 1 visa and I am staying legally and I won DV 2018. For example in case if I get denied After the interview do I have to go back to my county ? Or I can stay here till I complete my study ? Thank you.

If you didn’t use a DV based AP or EAD card to travel or work while waiting for AOS approval and the AOS petition eventually gets denied, you’ll remain in your previous status, F1 in your case and complete your studies.

Hi Mom
They scheduled my interview and my wife ( dependent )interview in same day but different times .Do you know why ?

Hello everybody!

Here is my interview experience

My interview took place yesterday. I arrived 15 mins earlier, the interview started on time. My IO was a young nice lady. After I did oath and fingerprints, first question she asked was about my husband (why wasn't he applying with me). Then she checked my eligibility (asked for my passport, visa, I-94, my I-20 and High school diploma). After that she went through almost all questions from I-485. Then she asked me how do I support myself (I know, guys, many of you would like to know if she asked for I-134, but no, she didn't). She asked some school related questions. She compared originals to the copies I submitted in the package. At the end she said they needed to review my case once again and if they would need something they were going contact me. I told her that I had a job offer letter with me, she kept it. I asked if she wanted to see my Bank statement, but she said it wasn't necessary. Interview took around 15 mins. I left her office with good feelings, but still no updates on the status (reading previous reviews I was hoping by today it would get updated, but still nothing). So fingers crossed!

@Sm1smom, I have a question for you: is it possible to deny my case based on my husband being him out of status even though he didn't apply for AOS with me?
Some questions the IO asked me about him keep popping up in my head (like why my husband not applying, how we met, when did we get married, when did he loose his status)