TN to F2

First Last

Hi all,

I am on TN-1 visa & about to loose my job and do not wish to work anymore. My spouse is on F1 and I need information about changing my status from TN-1 to F2. Can someone please help?

Is I539 form appropriate for this change of status?

If yes, where should I submit the form? as the locations are different for various visas and TN is not listed in the location sheet.

Processing of the I539 takes several months, does that mean I will be overstaying?

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I am on TN-1 visa & about to loose my job and do not wish to work anymore. My spouse is on F1 and I need information about changing my status from TN-1 to F2. Can someone please help?

Is I539 form appropriate for this change of status?
Yes, if you really want to do Change of Status (which means your status changes and you do not leave the US).

If yes, where should I submit the form? as the locations are different for various visas and TN is not listed in the location sheet.
The last one here, "All other Forms I-539", to the Dallas Lockbox.

Processing of the I539 takes several months, does that mean I will be overstaying?
No. You just need to have the application received before your current status ends. (Note: you remain on TN status for 60 days after termination of your job unless your I-94 expires sooner.)

Any immigration site can give you this info. In fact, there is an F forum on this board. Try there.