TN to H1B

There's no visa stamping for Canadian citizens. Next time you enter the US, just request to be admitted in h1 and show them your h1 pkg

And you don't even need to be admitted in H1, if done properly by employer, he just migrates to H1.

Agree ... change of status can/will happen automatically while in the US (if the employer filed it that way). From my personal experience, I went from TN to H1 (through COS) on Oct-1 and when I left/re-entered the US again through a Canadian land POE in November of the same year, they gave me a new I94 with H1 as the status

Yes, but you would already have been in status
Many are told they need to leave and enter to get status; your response seemed to be giving that same misinformation, so wanted to nip any of it in the bud

Thank you for the replies. Does the same thing applies to me even though I am not Canadian citizen by birth.

I need to clarify the below based on my situation, Canadian citizen working on TN valid for 2 more years(all dependents have TD living with me)
- now have a approved H1B with I-797B approval notice(for 3 years) addressed to Toronto Consulate, no I-94 attached. My legal advised to get visa stamped when you travel abroad
- Assuming, i can get visa stamped at any border crossing not needing to go to US Consulate in Toronto. Also, any remote chance that i can get my passport stamped at local USCIS field office in Atlanta or any other city in US.
- What will happen if dependents do not travel with me, but at a later date. Does TD will be invalid when i convert from TN to H1?, will there be issue ?
- to get H4, what all things required, though my legal has submitted all the required forms I-129 for all members(for H4), i only have 797b with my name

Appreciate any responses.

1. As a Cdn, you are not going to get visa stamp, you will be issued an I-94.
2 . The border doesn't issue visa stamps, only a Consulate does. But, see #1. DO NOT go to consulate.
3. Local offices do not issue entry permits (I-94), so you either need to go to the border.
4. If H4's have been requested (thru I-539) they are in pending status, but I doubt this was done.

But the big question is why on earth did your firm not ask for yoru I-94 directly when they applied?
And deose your H1 begin now, or in October?

Nelsona, Thanks for your response..
4. To my knowledge i-539 Legal did file i-539 along with COS and other application requirements. What my big worry is, do i need to accompany dependents to get H4 and corresponding I-94 on their passports.
Also, what will happen to their current i-94 when i change my i-94 to a new one(that goes with h1)

Nelsona, Thanks for your response..
4. To my knowledge i-539 Legal did file i-539 along with COS and other application requirements. What my big worry is, do i need to accompany dependents to get H4 and corresponding I-94 on their passports.
Also, what will happen to their current i-94 when i change my i-94 to a new one(that goes with h1)
My H1B is effective since last Nov

I was in the same situation. Was on TN then received H1B approval with I-797b. I was told my dependents must travel with me to the border (any US border) to "activate my H1B and their H4" at the same time.
I am in southern California so we drove to San Ysidro CA and went to the PED West CBP facility at the Tijuana / San Diego border. (We parked on US side of border and we did not have to walk in Mexico) . Apparently you can pay for your I-94 online and skip the line to buy your I-94 ($6 each). It could have saved us over an hour wait.
My company also did not ask for I-94 when they applied for my H1b. They did not reimburse me for my travel to San Ysidro (took a full Saturday).
I was not happy, but to be honest, I was just glad I had an approved H1b. I started on TN in 2015, and my company applied for H1b in April 2016, but I was not picked in the lottery. They tried again in April 2017, and I was picked in lottery, but then RFE in Aug and my H1b was denied in Nov 2017. (specialty occupation). They filed MTR to appeal the H1b denial and it was reversed in Feb 2018. Since it was reversed, the initial denial was for frivolous reasons. (welcome to the new administration)
Looks like you are in Atlanta GA area. Unfortunately it looks like driving to the Mexico or Canadian border is not a short drive.
The CPB officer in San Ysidro mentioned he has people from far away in the US fly to San Diego and visit the PED West CBP facility to obtain new I-94 (based on new passport expiry).
I would just plan a family trip to Canada and on you way back to US, activate your H1b and their H4. (just bring the I-797b for your self).

Why are these firms not seeking COS for these H1-B?!. Further proof that they know nothing about rules for Cdns.

ATL: And if your H1-B was approved for LAST November, why haven't their H4s come thru.
I would assume that were not properly filed, and trudge the family with you to activate your H1 and their H4's. (n fact, I'm sure that yoru family's h4's are dead since you didn't get I-94 at time of approval -- they wouldn't issur H4 unless and until you get H1.). Nice job by your firm, for something you don't even need (neither you nor Amberleaf).