TN Visa

if its financially viable for your family, of course you can carry on to your job (I am assuming that what you meant) by "
It would probably be best if we proceed to US on the day of approval.
"

We wanted to apply TN, if approved, settle everything in canada first before going to final destination- cali US. What i am asking is that since the job offer is in cali and apply for TN in buffalo and cross border and come back same day to canada, would the officer question us?

As I mentioned "if" the officer asks, then truthfully tell the officer that since California is far, you will be returning to Canada for a few days to take care of the logistics and fly out with the family. He/she could choose to ask you to get the TN from the airport later OR just go ahead process. My thinking is that it will be the latter. Even if he tells you to come later, it does not mean you are being denied entry into the US. You simply show up at the airport with all your paperwork.

But as I said ... I'm hopeful that if your TN pkg is strong, you have nothing to worry about. I'd say dont overthink this. Get your TN pkg ready and if its in top shape, just go to the border few days prior to the start and request for TN

As I mentioned "if" the officer asks, then truthfully tell the officer that since California is far, you will be returning to Canada for a few days to take care of the logistics and fly out with the family. He/she could choose to ask you to get the TN from the airport later OR just go ahead process. My thinking is that it will be the latter. Even if he tells you to come later, it does not mean you are being denied entry into the US. You simply show up at the airport with all your paperwork.

But as I said ... I'm hopeful that if your TN pkg is strong, you have nothing to worry about. I'd say dont overthink this. Get your TN pkg ready and if its in top shape, just go to the border few days prior to the start and request for TN

Job letter doesn’t have start date. Employment begins upon arrival in California . Thats why we talked about delaying our travel that day upon TN approval.

All paperworks are getting organized. We are staying positive that everything will turn out just as expected. Hopefully.

that is what my family did over two years ago. At that time I lived in Greater Toronto Area, received job offer for job in California. Once the company immigration lawyer sent me all the paper work, we drove to Niagara Falls, Queenston-Lewiston bridge, during normal business hours (M-F 9-5pm) .
make sure you have long form birth certificates for your children (rather than the card size birth certificate), if they are born in Ontario.
the long form birth certificate is 8.5 x 11 inch paper, showing both parents. (also bring original marriage certificate.)
the CPB officer did not ask why we were applying for TN in Lewiston, NY, when the job is in California.
we also went to Bank Of America to open US bank account, as my company wanted a bank account number on my first day on the job.
then we went to Olive Garden restaurant in Niagara Falls to celebrate, then drove back to greater Toronto area.
We fly to California a few days later, on a Sunday, and I started my job Monday morning. looking back, it was all a blur....

that is what my family did over two years ago. At that time I lived in Greater Toronto Area, received job offer for job in California. Once the company immigration lawyer sent me all the paper work, we drove to Niagara Falls, Queenston-Lewiston bridge, during normal business hours (M-F 9-5pm) .
make sure you have long form birth certificates for your children (rather than the card size birth certificate), if they are born in Ontario.
the long form birth certificate is 8.5 x 11 inch paper, showing both parents. (also bring original marriage certificate.)
the CPB officer did not ask why we were applying for TN in Lewiston, NY, when the job is in California.
we also went to Bank Of America to open US bank account, as my company wanted a bank account number on my first day on the job.
then we went to Olive Garden restaurant in Niagara Falls to celebrate, then drove back to greater Toronto area.
We fly to California a few days later, on a Sunday, and I started my job Monday morning. looking back, it was all a blur....

Hello Amberleaf.

Thank you for the insight. We would probably do the same. Yet our situation is different. We have small kids, a house and my full time work. We really need to time everything well upon apporoval of TN.

Again, appreciate you sharing your experience.

Kind regards.

I think this is a cart before horse situation. You see by now that you don't have a TN issue, you have a family life issue. The actual applying for the TN when/if the time comes is truly of a secondary importance. It will take care of itself, if you make sure the petition is good, and she applies when she decides that she is going to work.

You will not be able to get TN now and all move together ,with everything settled. That would be the reality if she got a job in BC or California, or UK. You either settle up first and then all move , or (what most end up doing) the worker goes first, and then the rest settle up over the subsequent months. That is life with spouse and kids, and has to be factored in to the moving/job decision, along with the employer's willingness to wait it out.

Expect a transition of 4-6 months.

I have to agree here with nelsona. Whenever there are changes in life, there is a transition to be expected. When I got my TN, I worked on my own without family for 3 months (15 hrs away)and then family moved and it took me a year to sell house and take care of my Canadian affairs. However, I am sure others went through the same experience. All I am trying to say is that transition is going to be required so its best to plan for it. Your wife could just get the TN status right now and then you guys can always follow your wife. Good luck

Key being "a few days later"
I think this is a cart before horse situation. You see by now that you don't have a TN issue, you have a family life issue. The actual applying for the TN when/if the time comes is truly of a secondary importance. It will take care of itself, if you make sure the petition is good, and she applies when she decides that she is going to work.

You will not be able to get TN now and all move together ,with everything settled. That would be the reality if she got a job in BC or California, or UK. You either settle up first and then all move , or (what most end up doing) the worker goes first, and then the rest settle up over the subsequent months. That is life with spouse and kids, and has to be factored in to the moving/job decision, along with the employer's willingness to wait it out.

Expect a transition of 4-6 months.

Hello Nelsona.

Appreciate your helpful response. If I may ask, we are registered nurses back home but not in canada. the position being offered to my wife in California is not registered nurse position but requires a degree in nursing and experience and atleast pass the NCLEX-RN in California (which she all has and qualifies). Does she need to have her credentials evaluated?

I have to agree here with nelsona. Whenever there are changes in life, there is a transition to be expected. When I got my TN, I worked on my own without family for 3 months (15 hrs away)and then family moved and it took me a year to sell house and take care of my Canadian affairs. However, I am sure others went through the same experience. All I am trying to say is that transition is going to be required so its best to plan for it. Your wife could just get the TN status right now and then you guys can always follow your wife. Good luck

Hello hello Mister.

Appreciate your helpful response. If I may ask, we are registered nurses back home but not in canada. the position being offered to my wife in California is not registered nurse position but requires a degree in nursing and experience and atleast pass the NCLEX-RN in California (which she all has and qualifies). Does she need to have her credentials evaluated?

For nursing, TN only requires a state or provincial license. Since she probably has one for her province, this is good enough to get the TN, after which she may need to get a license in her state of employment. CBP knows this, and grants TN status for this purpose, and for getting NCLEX if not already obtained.
There are no other 'credentials' that would need to be evaluated before CBP looks at the petition. Not education, not experience. These 'credentials' would have been evaluated by the employer, and given that she was offered the job, were sufficient.

No need to ask individuals for their response (nor to quote previous responses, they are all there already and merely clutter up the thread.) We know what was written, and anyone can answer a question.

TN to Green Card Application (EB-2 NIW or EB1)

I am looking for an immigration lawyer who would help me apply for Green Card from TN thru EB-2 NIW or EB1.

Can anyone suggest a lawyer that does Green Card application directly from TN?

Thanks in advance !

No point asking the same Q on multiple threads. I responded to you on the other one. You can always start a new thread to discuss your specific scenario

Hi its me again. About proof of Canadian ties, should I bring notes/letter of proof (eg. investments)to present when I apply at the border?

No need to prove ties anywhere. TN allows living in US with no foreign residence.
You are not entering as a tourist.