TN Visa

The letter need NOT have a start date. Causes to much problems. Your letter is perfect.

I would say this however: next time you ask a question here, please be a little more specific in your header,. This is a TN status site, so we are assuming your post is about TN visa.

Hello Nelsona,

I am still a little worried and bothered on what would be the outcome of our application for TN status. We are planning to go to Toronto Pearson and apply in person. If successful, which would be best option:

1. We will stay in Canada for a few months and sell our stuffs and quit JOB or;

2. upon approval of TN STATUS that day depart for US and just come back to settle stuffs in Canada?

We are planning the No. 1 option because we have small kids and it would be more practical and convenient for us. We just don't want to encounter issues with border officers.

A lot of families go through the process. It's not difficult at all. Just make sure your wife has a solid tn package. Td for you and kids won't be an issue. Do take birth certificates of kids, marriage cert, degree evals with you. Good luck! You'll do great

Hello Hello Mister

I am still a little worried and bothered on what would be the outcome of our application for TN status. We are planning to go to Toronto Pearson and apply in person. If successful, which would be best option:

1. We will stay in Canada for a few months and sell our stuffs and quit JOB or;

2. upon approval of TN STATUS that day depart for US and just come back to settle stuffs in Canada?

We are planning the No. 1 option because we have small kids and it would be more practical and convenient for us. We just don't want to encounter issues with border officers.

1. You can only get a TN for a current entry, not months later. So, #2 is really the only option you have.

Of course, your family can sty back in Canada and handle matters, but you are supposed to be going to wok (ie. a full-fledged working relationship with your TN sponsor) when you apply for TN entry.

At any airport application, you must be leaving on an later flight that day.

1. You can only get a TN for a current entry, not months later. So, #2 is really the only option you have.

Of course, your family can sty back in Canada and handle matters, but you are supposed to be going to wok (ie. a full-fledged working relationship with your TN sponsor) when you apply for TN entry.

At any airport application, you must be leaving on an later flight that day.

If we apply at the boarder would it be different? Can we all leave in a different date

given your situation + the fact that you are thinking of going to YYZ, it might be better to go to a land POE so that your application gets processed, you enter the US on TN and then you can come back to Canada after a few hrs to pack up things and return when ready (even if its after a few months).

Also, isnt it your spouse who is getting the TN? what category is she applying under and whats her educational background ?

given your situation + the fact that you are thinking of going to YYZ, it might be better to go to a land POE so that your application gets processed, you enter the US on TN and then you can come back to Canada after a few hrs to pack up things and return when ready (even if its after a few months).

Also, isnt it your spouse who is getting the TN? what category is she applying under and whats her educational background ?

Yes. My spouse will be applying for TN STATUS, TD for me and the kids.

Not sure what you mean by category. She graduated Bachelors degree in Nursing.

TN category e.g. 'engineer'. I guess in her case, its nursing.

IMO, its best if you drive to a land POE to get the TN. Once you guys are ready, you can fly to the work location.

Yep... you need to formally enter the US in TN status. Why don't you wanna do that? Just enter, stay for a bit and then you can just drive back

Yep... you need to formally enter the US in TN status. Why don't you wanna do that? Just enter, stay for a bit and then you can just drive back

We would probably have to do that. Best option so far. We are just thinking it might be difficult for our other child because shes still months old at that time.

Many workers go to US without their family on TN. The problem is that, if your continually visit Canada, CRA will consider that is still your home, and you will owe Cdn taxes on your US income until they join you.

Many workers go to US without their family on TN. The problem is that, if your continually visit Canada, CRA will consider that is still your home, and you will owe Cdn taxes on your US income until they join you.
I Understand. thank you for the insight.

Nelsona, say we went to the Niagara POE today and get TN approved, we can cross to US and just come back without having issues with border security? Should we explain to them why we are crossing that day and just come back?

because the employment is in California, will the border official question us?

Hello hello mister,

Wouldn’t the border official question why we are crossing to buffalo whereas the employment offer is in California?
When we cross to US thru Niagara POE and come back to Canada same day to settle our property and quit job will that be ok without issues with border officers?

Well, they will normally ask when you are starting work. You should be in a position to tell them -- truthfully -- that you are starting within the next 2 weeks.
They would prefer that you are actually on your way to work directly. Depends on the officer and the POE's attitude.
They can contact the employer, and will if they think you are trying to get a TN that will only start several weeks from now. they may sense (correctly?) that you are in no hurry to start this TN. The expectation is that you will begin work immediately, not go back and settle a whole bunch of affairs over the next few months before starting. They will expect you to have handled that (or have your spouse sty back and do it). Pretty much like an employer in Vancouver would require.

Anytime you attempt to get a TN when you are not quite starting work you are subject to being told come back later. That is why I wouldn't be bringing all the family with you to the border (unless you want to visit Niagara Falls). They can get their TDs the first time they cross after you get your TN.

+1 to nelsona's comment! Always be truthful if asked...but dont just say: "as soon as you give me the TN, I wont even enter the US and turn back". Simply get the TN, formally enter the US and spend a couple of hrs and then head back. You will be perfectly fine.

As nelsona mentioned, there is a chance they might ask you to come back but they understand too esp. if you are going to start your work only a few days later

The reason I bring up the time limit is that you DON'T get 2-3 months (your earlier post) when you get TN to start work. Otherwise, the risk is that you simply go to US, without the job and stay there, doing something else that you were not authorized to do. CBP know that resignation notice is never required, and is traditionally 2 weeks anyway, and they really don't care is it inconveniences you to not give you your TN "early".

That said, your spouse may indeed get her TN on this attempt. Simply be prepared for the TN not to be granted without giving them convincing evidence/assurance that she is starting in the very near (like 2 weeks or less) future.

An aside specific to nursing: does she have her required foreign medical worker visa screen -- CGFNS Certificate or passed the NCLEX-RN -- (or has plans to get this?)

Well, they will normally ask when you are starting work. You should be in a position to tell them -- truthfully -- that you are starting within the next 2 weeks.
They would prefer that you are actually on your way to work directly. Depends on the officer and the POE's attitude.
They can contact the employer, and will if they think you are trying to get a TN that will only start several weeks from now. they may sense (correctly?) that you are in no hurry to start this TN. The expectation is that you will begin work immediately, not go back and settle a whole bunch of affairs over the next few months before starting. They will expect you to have handled that (or have your spouse sty back and do it). Pretty much like an employer in Vancouver would require.

Anytime you attempt to get a TN when you are not quite starting work you are subject to being told come back later. That is why I wouldn't be bringing all the family with you to the border (unless you want to visit Niagara Falls). They can get their TDs the first time they cross after you get your TN.

What is stated on her employment letter/contract: “first date of employment to be the date when arrive in the US”.

It would probably be best if we proceed to US on the day of approval.

+1 to nelsona's comment! Always be truthful if asked...but dont just say: "as soon as you give me the TN, I wont even enter the US and turn back". Simply get the TN, formally enter the US and spend a couple of hrs and then head back. You will be perfectly fine.

As nelsona mentioned, there is a chance they might ask you to come back but they understand too esp. if you are going to start your work only a few days later

If we apply in niagara wouldnt the office wonder why we cross going to buffalo whereas the employment is at California?

if its financially viable for your family, of course you can carry on to your job (I am assuming that what you meant) by "
It would probably be best if we proceed to US on the day of approval.
"